PDA

View Full Version : help me with my r

bluerocket05
11-10-2005, 07:24 PM
I just got my first "r" and I have a problem. I can't get the head gasket to seal. The coolant keeps getting into the exhaust and transmission. The guy before me made the gasket and it didn't last long so I got a new one, the three piece metal one and it won't seal either, does the fiber cometic one with the metal ring over the sleeve work better? I am dying to ride it a little, I would appreciate some help with this...thanks

86-250Rnut
11-10-2005, 07:32 PM
Well. do u mean the 3 piece gasket with the metal in the middle and the rubber on both sides of it?? i just put 1 on my r last night and ran it today without a prob. the only thing i can think of is...

1. did you clean off the old gasket crap on the head and cylinder?
2. are your tightening the bolts good and tight?
3. does he have the proper head on the R?
4. are you putting the gasket on right{i had probs getting mine on}
5.are you having clearance probs with somthing else that would cause your head not to seat right???
Hope this helps
Mitch:macho

bluerocket05
11-10-2005, 08:05 PM
No, there's no rubber to this gasket, it is all metal and in three pieces held together on two oposing ends. one of these ends has a round tab that goes in the front and the square tab goes in the rear. Do you think that the fiber or rubber gaskets would seal better than the all metal one? thanks