PDA

View Full Version : Bad shock

86-250Rnut
11-10-2005, 05:52 PM
I think its time for a shock rebuild. What do they do to the shock when the rebuild it?? and how hard is it. i hear u have to find people who really know what they are doing to get the shock the way you want it. or would my local atv deal/shop be capable of doing it?
thanks
Mitch:macho

Rich250RRacer
11-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Try Baldwin Motorsports, he will rebuild it, revalve and respring it for your weight and type of riding.

11-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Also try percision concepts. They really know their stuff.

www.fuelatv.com

TheFontMaster
11-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Are the front shocks rebuildable, I don't think they are. When they re build it, they change the valving to suit your wieght and riding style, and replace the nitrogen. And like Rich said some companies will replace the spring too. C&D, and Derissi racing also do good shock rebuilds from what I have heard.

11-11-2005, 08:27 AM
stock front shocks are not rebuildable.

dober250R
11-11-2005, 11:19 AM
How do you know if it's time for a rebuild or not? I'm not dumb, i'm just wondering when does everyone get theirs rebuilt. My rear has a little bit of sag to it, i'm not sure if it needs rebuilt or not.

zedicus00
11-11-2005, 12:18 PM
2" or more of sag and it needs rebuilt.... my rear has about 4 inch right now and is pretty low on compression.... for the riding i do it actually works better that way though... b carfull riding on a bad shock though, if u start to bottom out a lot u will break the frame... actually my swingers about cracked all the way through too... i need to fix that stuff one of these days....

dober250R
11-11-2005, 12:25 PM
thanks Zed!!!

11-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Actually your sag is set up by your spring. Tighten the spring = less sag. Loosen the sping = more sag.

wilkin250r
11-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by dober250R
How do you know if it's time for a rebuild or not? I'm not dumb, i'm just wondering when does everyone get theirs rebuilt. My rear has a little bit of sag to it, i'm not sure if it needs rebuilt or not.

There is a very simple, tried and true method to determine if you need a shock rebuild.

If the shock does not perform the way you want, it needs a rebuild.

This rule would apply to ANY shock, no matter how old it is. I don't care if it was rebuilt an hour ago. If it doesn't perform the way you want, it needs to be rebuilt.

The only time this rule would not apply is if you are insane, and you expect your shock to cushion your landing when you overshoot a 150ft double. At that point, it would be your HEAD that needs the rebuild.

dober250R
11-11-2005, 03:58 PM
haha, thanks wilkin, that's a good point there. The last line made me laugh my arse off. Always quality information and comedy coming from wilkin.