PDA

View Full Version : RC Cars, TRAXXAS.

nakomis0
11-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Well I'm thinking I want to get into an RC car.

I just bought my kid an older Team Associated RC-10 Stadium truck.

Now I think I want to get me something. I either want the Traxxas REVO, or the E-Maxx. Gas Vs. Electric.

Has anyone seen an E-Maxx? How does this thing do. If I do get it, I would also upgrade the motors to brushless.

I would like to go with the E-Maxx if it performs good. I' know the Gas powered has to be faster. But I'm thinking electric just because of maintence and such.

I was talking with a guy and he said the gas motors need rebuilds after about 4 gallons of gas, and a rebuild is near $75-$100. I really don't want a money pit.

Has anyone seen or own these machines? What do you think or what advice can ya give?

also a side question.., this car I have has Nicad batteries is it fine to run NiMH baTteries in it? The charger charges both. I just don't want to burn anything up.

dirt308
11-10-2005, 03:05 PM
Both are great trucks. An e maxx with a brushless will be almost as fast as a revo. Also a nitro engine does not need a rebuild after every 4 gallons if you take care of it and run it at the right temp. (200-250). Also you can probably run nimh batteries in your car, just be careful when charging them, charge them at a lower amp rate if you can adjust it on your charger.

Scott-300ex
11-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Never heard about a rebuild after 4 gallons.

However, my friend has one and he has to adjust the carb almost every time he runs it, and he buys all titanium, ect. parts for it, especially if he breaks it, he buys better parts, he's got about $1,200 into it right now.

They are not very easy to drive either, I ran his into a truck tire, he got really good at it though. My other friend has one and he ran his wfo, full bore into a tree and broke some stuff.

Guy400
11-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Now I think I want to get me something. I either want the Traxxas REVO, or the E-Maxx.PM if you're interested in my dad's Revo. It's only been driven one time (break-in and then some messing around after that). It's only had one tank of gas through it and comes with a trickle charger, fuel fill bottle and an IR temp gauge. He wants to sell it because my brother made a deal with my dad and I that we'd all get together and buy these trucks and mess around with them. My dad and I bought ours but then my brother backed out. My dad finally got his out in July and broke it in and it's sat on the shelf since that day. I sold mine that was never used to crday98 so now my dad's just sits by itself and it'll never get driven again.

atvfrk10
11-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Well if you just going to drive it every now and then get the E-maxx. If you get a gas you will have a lot of maintence and can become very expensive (gallon of gas is like 26.00)

wheeltrax
11-10-2005, 08:25 PM
they are fun but are def money pits.. its like anything you buy, you never keep it stock. I have a Traxxas stampede electric.. and i prolly spent about 160 bucks in aftermarket stuff.. even tho i said i wouldnt. i ran NIMH batteries in mine.. never had a problem.

insaneracin2003
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
I have both,a Team Associated Factory Team T-4 and a Traxxas Revo. Maintenance wise,The T-4 is much easier to deal with.The Revo is the funnest truck i have ever driven and raced.I race both. you are supposed to do a motor rebuild after about 3 gallons of nitro,depending on your driving style and % of nitro that is in your fuel. i run 20% nitro and i run a lil rich when bashing and a lil lean when racing.temp should never go over 240-270,that is the danger zone.
The only bad thing about the elec is that you have to keep charging batteries,nitro,you can gas and go!!!! if you need any help with either..pm me

redlineranger
11-10-2005, 09:14 PM
electric if you want somewhat cheaper and cleaner stuff etc. i prefer nitro though, i have a team associated ntc3... well lets just say i got so out of hand breaking things(pull starters, everything u can think of) and it turned into what they are made to be, MONEY PITS!! i love the lil things but i cant afford to keep it up.
if i buy anything else it will be a savage 25

muddy400EX
11-11-2005, 10:18 AM
i used to have a gas rc10gt and my little brother had a electric rc10 and to tell you the truth, the electric broke down more than mine did. and the thing is, with electric you dont know whats wrong with it if it dont work, but gas is easier to understand. i say go for the gas truck. but not traxxas, get a hpi or ae

iceracer65
11-11-2005, 11:08 AM
hardcore bashing is what really wrecks these things.

i have a losi xxxnt that isnt too bad on parts, but i dont fly it off a ramp at 40mph! i hope to race it soon, it should be easier on parts plus it will be were it was intended on being run.

EXJay
11-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I'm into nitro r/c trucks. right now I have:

2 T-Maxx's
1 Savage
2 Monster GT's
1 Stampede
1 Revo

My electircs:

Electric TC3
RC18T

Id put up pics..but there on disks.

wilkin250r
11-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I have a Nitro Stampede that I ran into a curb a full tilt. Now I need a new front end. :(

armen521
11-11-2005, 06:07 PM
I have a Tmax pretty much stock except for exhaust and I finished my Hpi Savage SS last spring, I converted it to a complete aluminum truck and made to mods to list.... it is way fast and dependable but it should be after putting $2100 into it... I use to run electric but switched to gas much more to build... I machine alot of my own parts for the mods I do..... if your just starting I think gas is much user friendly!

nakomis0
11-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Electrics harder? Gas more user friendly? hrmm..

I like electric maybe thats because I'm an electrician and it seems pretty easy to me. Its the carb and adjusting on nitro that might be difficult to me.

But, I think I'm getting the Revo, I'm gonna just try not and break it.... good plan aye? Maybe in theory.

I think I'm going to like not waiting on batteries, and it sounds like a real fun truck.

armen521
11-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I guess it could depend on the user I used to be auto technician so the gas is more what I am into.... I agree on the batteries you have to have a ton if you want to keep running..... gas and go with a little cool down in between.... unless you run with a liquid cooled head.. I highly recomend.....

insaneracin2003
11-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0
Electrics harder? Gas more user friendly? hrmm..

I like electric maybe thats because I'm an electrician and it seems pretty easy to me. Its the carb and adjusting on nitro that might be difficult to me.

But, I think I'm getting the Revo, I'm gonna just try not and break it.... good plan aye? Maybe in theory.

I think I'm going to like not waiting on batteries, and it sounds like a real fun truck.
just make sure you break it in correctly,dant cheat and speed too quickly.......

nakomis0
11-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Ok they are money pits, I don't even own the truck yet. But I'm gonna change the Revo into an E-Revo. Which means it will be electric with a Brushless motor... The conversion comes out in a few weeks.

So thats gonna cost, and then I haven't even broke anything yet.. I'm sure that will happen... ya I see this going down hill quickly.

Woodsrider
11-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Heres a tip to keep it from becoming a very spendy hobby; STAY OFF THE RC CAR FORUMS!!! Youll be modding stuff left and right.
I have a Savage and I really like it. The gas motors arent that hard to tune with a IR thermometer. And once its tuned, all it should need it a very slight tweak on the HSN for current weather conditions.
As for rebuilding, if properly taken care of, even a race engine can go as much as 6 gallons without a tear down. I only bash with mine, but I have 7 gallons of 20% through my stock nitrostar 25 and anticipate another 2 to 3 gallons befor sending the motor in to HPI, with a $100 to get a new one to replace it with.

11-13-2005, 02:45 PM
I have a t-maxx with brand new trans, engine and more goodies, for sale for 350$, really good condition, just don't have enough money, for sports, quad, and r/c cars, spent a grand on it, but that doesn't do anything for sale price, and it's very fast, nitro powered, runs 20% nitro, let me know, thanks, brand new they're 450 with electric start, etc., and mines better than new, thanks

phildogg
11-14-2005, 03:41 PM
def. electric. brushless with the right amount of cells will smoke a nitro truck. I like both and have owned both nitro and electric cars,trucks,stadium trucks. just my opinion.
phil

11-14-2005, 04:23 PM
I have a verry stock revo, less than 2 gallons throu it. things mint. rpm a-arms is the only mod.

I will sell it with my xr3-i radio for 500 or with stock radio for 375. things MINT, comes in the box like new. seriously, things mint.

250x_kyle
11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
yeah id get a emaxx or tmaxx my bro has a heavily modded emaxx with brushless motor and to much to list he also just got done building a modded tmaxx there at the end of the summer ill post pics of these trucks when he sends them to me there nice. he has 2 modded t maxxes 1 modded emaxx 1 modded rustler battery powered. if u need tips on workin on them or need tmaxx/emaxx parts send me a pm and ill tell him

PHAT400
11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
I'm all about the SAVAGE. I have 2 and my son (7 yrs) has 1.

5 gallons through mine, new diff gears, new pipe, new air intake and dirt bonz tires.
Simlpe mods to make it a bit more interesting.

We bash and bash pretty hard. A few friends have the T-max and they wish they did'nt.

This is next... 1/5 th scale.. Pump gas baby...

phildogg
11-14-2005, 05:25 PM
yeah I agree that the 1/5 scale buggies are prob. the coolest.
phil

Guy400
11-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
I have a verry stock revo, less than 2 gallons throu it. things mint. rpm a-arms is the only mod.

I will sell it with my xr3-i radio for 500 or with stock radio for 375. things MINT, comes in the box like new. seriously, things mint. I just sold my brand new Revo and it's never been run for $250 to a member here and my father just sold his that's only had one tank through it plus some extras for far less than $375.

11-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by Guy400
I just sold my brand new Revo and it's never been run for $250 to a member here and my father just sold his that's only had one tank through it plus some extras for far less than $375.

damn, I have over 800 into the damn thing.