PDA

View Full Version : Jet kit???

yellow400ex05
11-10-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm gonna get the HMF comp series kit for Christmas and my da says no I don't want you to get a jet kit or jet of any kind. And I told him Why you need a jet kit, And he says it makes the engine run hotter and it'll ruin your engine. I told him That I want it so I can accomodate the pipe and I want extr power. ow when i go pick up my quad my dad is going to talk to the mechanic there, and I want to tell him why I need a jet kit and what a jet kit does, and also tell what all the good reasons to have a jet kit are.

300exOH
11-10-2005, 09:54 AM
You want to rejet becuase the new pipe will increase airflow which will cause the engine to run lean. A lean engine will run hot...not good. Plus most hondas are lean from the factory to begin with. Larger jetting will actually make the engine run cooler. I wouldn't waste the extra money on a jet kit though. You can get individual jets and save some money.

bwamos
11-10-2005, 10:35 AM
The above poster is correct.

Anytime you change anyhting in the intake/exhaust system you have to rejet the caurberator to accomidate the change in air flow. Even if it's just taking off the airbox lid.

Adding a pipe will and not jetting will make the quad run hotter, probably detonate and backfire as well, unless you rejet.

yellow400ex05
11-10-2005, 01:10 PM
soo if I just got an individual jet I would have as much power as having a jet kit but its cheaper?

300exOH
11-10-2005, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Yellow250ex04
soo if I just got an individual jet I would have as much power as having a jet kit but its cheaper?

Basically yes. You may have to buy 2 or 3 jets to get it right but they are only $3-$5 each instead of $50-$60 for a jet kit. You will just have to contact the pipe manufacturer for jetting recommendations. I think HMF has jetting specs on their website(in the forum).

300exOH
11-10-2005, 01:16 PM
Almost forgot HMF may be able to sell you the jet(s) you need when you buy the pipe.

bwamos
11-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Correct.

Jetting kits dont add power. They just control the air/fuel ratio of the motor.

Dynojet kits can only claim to add power, because you're also adding a more free flowing pipe and filter. ;)

Here's an article on Jetting that may help you.

http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_keihin-carburetion-jetting.phtml