PDA

View Full Version : parts for 300ex

Quadkid723
11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
What aftermarket parts are best for my 300ex in terms of power. money is tight so keep it cheap.

Reliability is also an issue because i usually ride trails, I dont want get way out in the middle of nowhere and have something break on me.

Built_300EX
11-13-2005, 11:28 PM
I own a 2004 300EX. The parts I started out getting was the following: K&N Air filter ($40 - $50), K&N Jetkit ($30 - $40), DG pipe and header (150$). Those prices aren't exact; however, they are dang well near what I paid for them at the locale Honda shop before I started getting Dennis Kirk and Rocky Mountain books. This will sure give you that power gain you need, also a small adjustment was giving mine that extra tooth on the front giving more top end. Primary Drive 14 tooth front sprocket costs $6.99 in Rocky mountain. That will be keeping you within a $300 budget, also I plan on selling all of my older things for about half price. If you are interested email me at landsofdelusion@hotmail.com and I will give you more information on what I have left of the older aftermarket parts I have that you need because I am upgrading mine alot and already have, I just have the old parts boxed up.

Sjorge450R
11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
remember, you get what you pay for. If you are going to do something do it right the FIRST time. I wouldnt get a DG exhaust all I here is negative things from them. I have a Supertrapp IDS-2 and I really like it along with a K&N and Dynojet jet kit and I can tell a dramatic difference between when it was stock and were it is now. As you are a trail rider and I race XC, I would suggest going with some suspension. I have Elka Dual rate with not Rezzy and I love them and they were 450. When riding trails it isnt about who has the faster quad, it usaly comes down to who can control their machine better. And for the rear I would get a 2001 Raptor 660 rear shock. I have it and I love it. If you need any other help PM me.

bustedknuckle
11-14-2005, 01:06 PM
my son put a hetrick racing pipe on his 300 . it worked great,all we did was move the needle in the carb.no other adjustments.we were able to keep the air box lid on.he races woods races.call hetricks at 814-676-0477 good luck!!!

honda250xman
11-14-2005, 03:21 PM
hey how much was you pipe from hetrick because i need one bad and i need a nice aftermarket one too because i race mx and need power to whip the 450's lol

Sjorge450R
11-14-2005, 06:14 PM
i believe the hetricks are around 330. Like he said he didnt have to change the jet and when you dont have to change your jet, your not gaining anymore power because it is still burning the same amount of gas and just leaning out the motor.

Built_300EX
11-15-2005, 02:11 AM
Honestly, I haven't had any problems from mine. The sound is nice, it can be made alot more loud or quiet whichever way you want it, the power gain was noticable, they are cheap, plus it's a nice looking pipe. The HEADER pipe that came with my DG exhaust system is the largest header I do believe that is made for the 300EX, it goes around the frame instead of straight back through it like most of the other AFTERMARKET 300EX exhaust systems I have seen. Thus giving it more power. As for the SILENCER, hell you may be right other silencers are more than likely better but atleast grab the HEADER. I plan on getting a Yoshimura HEADER/SILENCER very shortly and I am hoping the Yoshimura header is atleast the same size if not larger then the DG. Not just in size but in length around the frame instead of coming straight back like the others I have seen.

If anyone can get me a comparison picture please post it on here or email me at the following email address: landsofdelusion@hotmail.com

Thanks.

Trevor
11-15-2005, 05:18 AM
Here is a dg header

Built_300EX
11-15-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks man. I already knew what a DG header looks like I was wondering more if someone had a picture of their Yoshimura head pipe on the quad. Or just comparison pictures of the two lying next to each other.
Thanks though.

Trevor
11-16-2005, 08:00 AM
My bad

bustedknuckle
11-16-2005, 05:07 PM
sjorge 300 ex,i know it sounds funny but hetricks pipe realy woke up my sons 300 ex.you dont always have to give a motor more gas to run better.hetricks pipe is larger ,pluss ceramic lined with these mods it flows easier.also iforgot we added a uni filter .

Built_300EX
11-16-2005, 10:25 PM
If you put a header pipe on any quad that is larger in roundness or just going further toward the front of the quad, it will give it more power, no doubt.

bwamos
11-17-2005, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Built_300EX
The HEADER pipe that came with my DG exhaust system is the largest header I do believe that is made for the 300EX, it goes around the frame instead of straight back through it like most of the other AFTERMARKET 300EX exhaust systems I have seen. Thus giving it more power.

That's not entirely true.

The length of the header before the first bend is what determines wether it's a bottom end or top end pipe. The sparks is a top end pipe. The DG is a bottom end pipe. IMHO the 300ex doesn't need help with torque. It needs help with HP in the top half of the power curve.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against the DG pipe.. it's a great torque pipe. But the "more power" is too broad of a definition. It does give the most torque, but lacks on the top end. Can't have both, of course so it depends on how you want it tuned.

As for the origional poster.. if he want's to keep it cheap.

Get a slip-on silencer (HMF, WB, etc.) and an aftermarket filter (K&N, UNI, Twin-Air) and rejet.
When you get some more cash.. add a WB header (great gain on a 300).
Then after that look at suspension.
After the suspension, go for a high comp piston & cam.
Then head work & CDI.

That's the stages I would work on a 300ex in.

Built_300EX
11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
You know, for as long as I have ridden quads and as much as I study up on the top gains and such. I never knew that's how they worked. I figured the bigger they were and the longer they were the more power. I know the bigger part is true but I had no clue longer exactly how it was judge. If you guys don't care, can you post me a picture of a Yoshimura header/silencer on a 300EX so I can see how much larger or smaller the Yoshi is compared to the DG header I have. I really like my bottom end so I may just keep the header, and use the Yoshimura silencer. I am geared 15-36. Pure top end gearing. =) I want to keep the bottom I have.

Thanks for that though, bwamos. I now probably know everything I need to know. It's kind of funny how I didn't know that but I can rebuild one, etc..etc...

Thanks again.