PDA

View Full Version : Main Bearing Stuck On Crank

lee37vernon
11-09-2005, 12:13 PM
STATOR SIDEMAIN STUCK FAST ON CRANK ! ANY SUGGESTIONS ...

WAS THINKING OF FREEZING IT THEN TRYING TO GENTLY HEAT JUST THE BEARING .. TROUBLE IS PRISING IT OFF .. ALTHOUGH PRETTY SURE THE BIG ENDS DEAD ANYHOW , IF NOT SOON WILL SO WILL PROBABLY REPLACE , TROUBLE BEING HONDA CHARGE DOUBLE WHAT YOU PAY IN U.S OVER HERE IN U.K ...

ANYONE FANCY GETTING A CRANK FROM SERVICE AND SHIPPING IT OVER IF I PAY UP PAYPAL OR SUMMAT .. / IF IT WONT COME OFF THAT IS .

beerock
11-09-2005, 12:19 PM
the left side main bearing is a pressed fit, always has been always will be. they are a pain in the *** to get off.

you need to use a flywheel puller shaped like 2 c clamps to get in between the bearing and crank and then have to press it out.

DO NOT BANG ON THE CRANK.

if you are rebuilding the entire motor your probably bettter off buying a new crank and 2 new main bearings and seals, that way you have piece of mind.

xlr810
11-09-2005, 02:37 PM
A new oem crank and new bearings is the best bet for a good reliable motor.

If your crank journals, cans, threads, splines, etc are still in nice shape you could send it out to have a new rod installed. Whoever does this work can remove the old bearing for you no problem.

lee37vernon
11-09-2005, 05:11 PM
THAT'S THE CURRENT PLAN , OFF TO SEE MY MAN TOMMORROW , I HAVE A 3 LEGGED PULLER SOMEWHERE BUT THINK NEED TO BUTCHER IT TO GET LEGS UNDER BEARING ..

beerock
11-09-2005, 05:18 PM
no, you have to use one of those C clap flywheel pullers, the way you use it is not the way its intended for but it works. the 3 legged pullers wont work, unless your lucky and you have the right tips.

using a 3 legged puller im not so sure of because, when you turn that on the tip of the crank it may end up mashing the metal and screwing up the crank. the crank shaft metal is very soft.

lee37vernon
11-09-2005, 05:26 PM
C CLAP ? NEVER HEARD OF THAT , WHAT DOES IT PULL AGAINST ?

beerock
11-09-2005, 05:31 PM
a C clamp (two halves) like this < O > you put these two in between the main bearing and crank make sure its wedged in at least 1/2" then set it up so you can press the crank down and get the bearing off. this is the easiest way to get it off without scratching or gouging the crank

so its like this

<- one clamp O-crank >- other c clamp

lee37vernon
11-09-2005, 05:35 PM
BIT LIKE A BIG HAMMER ! :scary:

SORRY BRO STILL NOT GETTING IT , IT IS 1 AM HERE !:ermm:

beerock
11-09-2005, 05:49 PM
I dont know what to tell ya, there name is a flywheel puller they are angled a bit.

heres a pic of what im talking about. they make this in a variety of thicknesses.

top left is the one im talkin about

once you get that in between the bearing and crank you have to set it up so you can use a hydraulic press to puch the crank down, a setup with som emetal bars holding the clamp from moving down will rok

understand now?

i think its called a gear puller

heres a link

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/subRangeAction.do?catoid=-1600761795&cacheID=ukie

cdrookie
11-09-2005, 05:57 PM
you need the thing in the top of the pic that looks like a pair of lips. it's called a bearing seperater and you clamp it behind the bearing then rest it on a press and press the crank off it.

lee37vernon
11-10-2005, 12:55 AM
get ya now , thanks :D

machwon
11-10-2005, 05:32 PM
Harbour Freight Tools has them for like 9.99

lee37vernon
11-10-2005, 05:35 PM
machinist putting pro x con rod in doing it for free ! although i expect he'll slyly add it on bill !

cdrookie
11-10-2005, 05:59 PM
i doubt it. it only takes a second to do with the right tools.