PDA

View Full Version : Need some help guys..

shorgasm
11-09-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm lookin at buyin a 02 660 rappy.It's cheap..$1000

Here's the problem's.I'm pretty good at tinkering with stuff and will do almost all my onw work outside of valvetrain and tranny work.So keep this in mind.

1..It's been sitting for a year or so outside and then about 6 mths in a hanger.The gas is pitifully old.Yet it still started and idled ONLY with the choke on.I could turn the choke down to about 1/8 left and it would die.I would guess very old bad gas.It started right up and didn't smoke or anything odd.

2.My big complaint..The starter seems to have trouble engaging.It would spin over everytime you hit the button but would only turn the motor over it it caught.Several times it would only spin the starter itself.I would put it in 2nd gear and rock the motor then abck to neutral and it would catch agin and start right up...NOW the battery is completely SHOT.We used a jump box to fire her up.The battery would not even show the neutral light even after running for a minute or so.Not sure if a gear is stripped/worn or is the start not throwing the gear out enought cause the battery is garbage..I dunno?:ermm:

3..The battery is fried..no good no how no juice at all.had to use a jump box to start it.The issue is with the 660's ability to idle with the choke off..I upped the idle enough to back off the choke and she would die as soon as the choke was off...I put her in 1st and she started to creep forward but I was using a LOT of throttle make her move.NOT a clutch slipping but it took a lot of actual throttle to make her move and she stalled.I haven't actually ridden it yet but will for sure to check the tranny out.Clutch feels good as does engaging 1st neutral and 2nd
gear.Now that I think about it it felt as if I were starting off in 2nd as far as how much power it took to move it.Maybe the shifter was doen upside down for someone?.Like a streetbike can be doen for racing?..I dunno.I can check that out and tell.is it even possible to reverse the linkage on a 02 660?

4.The bars are bent on the left/clutch side a wire is broken off.It looks to have some sort of clip that plugs into something on the top of the controls.Almost like a bulb goes in it.It is definitly plugged into the controls and not the center dash.Just broken off.They all work fine.

5.Plastic is faded and the back tires are original and bald...the thing is unreal dirty.Not a big deal that is what I do for aliving.Chain is junk..no biggie there either.

6..The overflow tube was dripping gas pretty good when I pu the petcock on reserve...it looked to have fuel in it but it didn't wanna run unless it was on reserve.I was assuming the fuel was too low for the ON position..

Any good raptor forums I can look at to ask about this thing?
Thx guys..:D

brownmecha
11-09-2005, 04:40 PM
i would suggest replacing the battery and gas. if you still have problems, then ask for advice! guarantee thats what a dealer would say or do.

tater_kamik
11-10-2005, 08:01 AM
im taking a wild guess that a lot of the problems you are having with it running, are probably caused by the carb. you definately need to take it apart and atleast inspect the jets, probably go ahead and replace them and clean the carbs thoroughly. you definately need to flush the entire fuel system. also, do all of the normal maintence, such as plug, intake, check the bearings and plenty of grease through all of the zerk fittings. how are the shocks, are they leaking? have you looked over all of the welds on the frame to check for cracks? pull off the starter cover and look at the starter gears, also change the oil with an oil catch tank that has a screen on it and look for metal shavings. your one way starter bearing could be gone. as for the wire that is broken, what color is the wire and how many prongs are on the cannon plug? honestly, talk the guy down more, sounds like you are gonna have a little bit of work to put into this, but it could be a great quad again with a little work.