PDA

View Full Version : widening kit

bigmatt86
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
have any of you guys ever used a widening kit on your 400. like this one on the attachment. its also at www.diamondjcustoms.com

yamablaster24
11-08-2005, 08:18 PM
thats pretty cheap and not strong.

Les Davis
11-08-2005, 08:20 PM
I wouldnt trust my life on those things. Spend the extra money and widen it the correct way (A-arms, axle etc...) jmo

prepracing
11-08-2005, 09:11 PM
would be ok for flattracking, but I wouldn't trust it any farther than that

dirtmomma
11-08-2005, 09:17 PM
You can buy wheel spacers for the same price or cheaper & i WOULDN'T jump w/ either of them :)
Thats if you don't have the $$ for a arms, axle :) you can always get offset rims too :D:D

QuadJunkies
11-08-2005, 11:55 PM
thats a funky lookin set up :huh

dangle
11-09-2005, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Les Davis
I wouldnt trust my life on those things. Spend the extra money and widen it the correct way (A-arms, axle etc...) jmo

What he said... remember this stuff is going on the FRONT-END of your machine... how would you like to be crusin in 5th gear and the front end come off.... you'd be royally screwed...

Mike

04'400ex'er
11-09-2005, 11:40 AM
waste of money. wouldnt jump a ditch on that.

vinson581
11-09-2005, 07:10 PM
thats the biggest piece of ****in **** i have ever seen...honestly i woulndt **** on that companys stuff seeing as it would create a load of bump steer, and a unsafe condition.

v581

dirtmomma
11-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by vinson581
thats the biggest piece of ****in **** i have ever seen...honestly i woulndt **** on that companys stuff seeing as it would create a load of bump steer, and a unsafe condition.

v581

GEE are you saying you DON'T like it ;););):D:D LOL

mad440
11-09-2005, 08:26 PM
It all depends on the grade of steel that is used in the manufactureing of the parts but to say it is weak before any real analysis is ignorant. they say they used 1/4 inch steel to make it, well there are many grades of steel out there each bringing a different strength quality to the table trust me im going to school for this kind of stuff, to be honest you would be supprised at how strong even the lowest grade of steel actually is. they also state that they are laser-cut for precision, well like sidewinders sprockets lazer cutting work hardens steal making it stronger yet. So what it really depends on is the kits ability to take front to back shocks like hitting a tree or a rock and seeing in the picks that the stock a-arm mounts are being used to mount the brackets the kit seems it would have the same chance to break as the stock mount would, the one thing i would like to see added though would be some spacers to take up some of the 2'' or so gap that is left in between each row of brackets. also think about it good sprockets are made out of 1/4"plus steel, tool steel, sidewinder even uses ti-moly a blend of titanium and cro-moly (aka really freaking strong) and even some aluminum they are under heavy shearing stresses the entire ride but they dont fail, granted the better sprocket the longer its going to work like dont buy an aluminum sprocket if ur looking for longevity its like buying a civic but looking for the performance of a ferrari aint gonna happen. im not saying that this is the revolution of atv widening but for a guy on a tight buget these kits may be just what they're lookin for. i'll see if i can contact them about what type of material they use for the kits and also what kind of hardness rating that particular material has

04'400ex'er
11-09-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by mad440
It all depends on the grade of steel that is used in the manufactureing of the parts but to say it is weak before any real analysis is ignorant. they say they used 1/4 inch steel to make it, well there are many grades of steel out there each bringing a different strength quality to the table trust me im going to school for this kind of stuff, to be honest you would be supprised at how strong even the lowest grade of steel actually is. they also state that they are laser-cut for precision, well like sidewinders sprockets lazer cutting work hardens steal making it stronger yet. So what it really depends on is the kits ability to take front to back shocks like hitting a tree or a rock and seeing in the picks that the stock a-arm mounts are being used to mount the brackets the kit seems it would have the same chance to break as the stock mount would, the one thing i would like to see added though would be some spacers to take up some of the 2'' or so gap that is left in between each row of brackets. also think about it good sprockets are made out of 1/4"plus steel, tool steel, sidewinder even uses ti-moly a blend of titanium and cro-moly (aka really freaking strong) and even some aluminum they are under heavy shearing stresses the entire ride but they dont fail, granted the better sprocket the longer its going to work like dont buy an aluminum sprocket if ur looking for longevity its like buying a civic but looking for the performance of a ferrari aint gonna happen. im not saying that this is the revolution of atv widening but for a guy on a tight buget these kits may be just what they're lookin for. i'll see if i can contact them about what type of material they use for the kits and also what kind of hardness rating that particular material has :huh :huh :huh

11-09-2005, 09:16 PM
I bought that kit. lol.

lets just say that I will sell it to anyone for 25$ if they want it. I snaped the incluted tie rod within the first hour of riding. and damn did it hurt when that wheel went flapping in the breez.

anyways, seriously. I took the kit and threw it in a box. It may be missing some washers or bolts, but not manny. and is missing a tie rod. but I will sell it for basically anything.

11-09-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by dangle
What he said... remember this stuff is going on the FRONT-END of your machine... how would you like to be crusin in 5th gear and the front end come off.... you'd be royally screwed...

Mike

ya, I know. I wasent in 5th tho, I was about 6ft in the air. lucky I wasent higher,, well coming off somthing higher.

11-11-2005, 09:54 PM
i been jumping my 400ex 15 feet in the air for 2 years now with crj3 inch (1.5 per side)wheel spacers on the front and back of the quad. the only thing bad that happend so far was my axel broke cuz of the extra stress. i still dont trust em on the front but ill keep jumping till the ball joints or sumthin breaks or till i get some a-arms

11-12-2005, 05:46 PM
i was going to get that wide kit too but it looks like it will put more stress on the top shock mounts that r part of your frame.

Joe400ex
11-13-2005, 08:43 AM
i wouldnt even let my 400 be seen witht that on it:(