11-08-2005, 07:39 PM
ok i got a guy at work that has a 99 shee with this done to it
port polish
toomey t5's
white brother's boost
cool heads
boyesen reeds
pro design pro-flow wit k&n

He thinks that his quad will just absolutely smoke my R i just finished my rebuild then had something go wrong with the wristpin so i'm back to square 1. I'm getting tired of his mouth just wonderin if its all gonna be worth it when i'm done. Do you think i will be able to beat him in say a short drag. or even just riding around.

beerock
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by rockman
ok i got a guy at work that has a 99 shee with this done to it
port polish
toomey t5's
white brother's boost
cool heads
boyesen reeds
pro design pro-flow wit k&n

He thinks that his quad will just absolutely smoke my R i just finished my rebuild then had something go wrong with the wristpin so i'm back to square 1. I'm getting tired of his mouth just wonderin if its all gonna be worth it when i'm done. Do you think i will be able to beat him in say a short drag. or even just riding around.

you shoudl beat him in a drag if you launch in 2nd, and you will kill him on trails and track depending on how good a rider he is and you are.

rockman
11-08-2005, 08:12 PM
ya thats what i thought, he has ridden quads all his life, i'm a recent transfer i used to race dirtbikes. just recently (last year an a half) have started hardcore quad ridin. i bet he would still beat me in trails being he is more experianced but i used to drag all my friends all the time so i could prolly beat him in drag.

86-250Rnut
11-08-2005, 08:16 PM
I dunno man... that shee is packin sum power. he might get you on the dragg. but u can get him on the track hands down.
Mitch:macho

Tom TRX250R
11-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Honestly I doubt you will beat him in a drag race with those mods and especially if he is the better rider. Banshees are pretty damn quick for drag racing, especially when you start doing motor mods like the T5's and porting. I drag raced a sweet 99 Banshee down at the dunes; mods included everything you listed except had 23cc domes (pump gas) for cool head and a clean up port. I beat him by only a quad length. I have several mods done to mine too. And I was a much better rider, been riding quads/dirtbikes for 17 years now. Once you get on tighter trails and more MX style where handling is the key you should blow by him though because that is the Banshees weak points, low end and handling.

tx_250r
11-08-2005, 09:58 PM
i raced aguy with the mods in alto tx and he was beating everybody. kawisaki 700's, honda 450r, raptor 660 and my 250r.
we were racing about 120-150 yards from 1/3 of the way he would pull away from everybody.

beerock
11-08-2005, 10:34 PM
i dunno i use to spank shees with those mods with my 265 R

from what his signaturew says it looks liek it would be close

rockman
11-08-2005, 10:35 PM
if it makes a diff. i got a 87 crank wit a 86 piston thats why i got the spacer

Eddiesanders250
11-08-2005, 10:43 PM
yea i heard that the only advantage to using the 86 piston, is that it gives it a smoother powerband. (correct me if im wrong)

That is my setup also. Except with an 89 crank. Ill see how she rides this weekend:D

Tom TRX250R
11-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Oh okay, I didn't notice your mods in your sig, I was just judging off his mods, you have almost the same mods as mine currently except I am running high compression. If you race him on the asphalt where you have plenty of traction, it should be a pretty good drag race, just depending on who has the better start, and like Bee stated above start in 2nd.

beerock
11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Tom TRX250R
Oh okay, I didn't notice your mods in your sig, I was just judging off his mods, you have almost the same mods as mine currently. If you race him on the asphalt where you have plenty of traction, it should be a pretty good drag race, just depending on who has the better start, and like Bee stated above start in 2nd.

yea start in 2nd and if you really have the technique down you can start in 3rd and jump out way in front of him but it takes alot of feathring to get it right, other wise youll smoke a clutch or bog it down and lose. 2nd would be best but you could always try 3rd.

250r4life
11-09-2005, 01:56 AM
well, if its news to you to start in 2nd like everybody has been saying, then i beleive you will get smoked... hopefully that wasnt somn you werent doing.... um, it is hard to tell jsut cuz we dont know the extent to either one of your port jobs... i also dont know how well either one of you has your bike dialed in... it takes a pretty good banshee to beat me up the hill down at the dunes- gotta have a decent amont of motor work... i'll usually get out in front of em and if they are going to pull me it'll be after the whoops on the way up the hill.... when my engine was 100% stock original with a pipe, filter, and rad valve, my bros banshee with t5s, bored 40 over, has some head work, advanced timing and lightened flywheel, and he would pull me... it wasnt by tons, but he would pull me... most time i would be ahead through the whoops and he'd catch up up the hill

jon370r
11-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Until the race actually happens we will never know because EVERY quad is different. You can have 2 "R's" set up the exact same and have a big difference in the way they perform. Both 250R's and Banchees are fast machines and in the hands of the right person the Banshee can be leathal in a drag race. On the flip side some punk can put $10K in a Banshee and get smoked by a stock 250.

redrider9045
11-09-2005, 07:15 PM
Shee's are fast but theres a 380 r that races by me and he out beats 450r and yfz with full motor work

Meat
11-10-2005, 07:37 PM
I own both, a ported 396 banshee and an'89 R with a pipe and reeds. The Banshee is 3 times faster in a straight line drag race than my R. Take the same quads and put in a coupla turns and a jump or three and the R wins. Straight line, my guess is the Banshee will get ya. You got some porting work and that should make it closer, but he's ported too. If the Banshee was built right and it runs good..... you better wear a chest protector is all I gotta say. I wouldnt recomend racing on pavement either, cause the Banshee will hook up real well, race him on some hardpacked dirt and he'll be spinnin his wheels for 2\3rds the race. Once a Banshee hooks up and your in the powerband, its one hellava rush. Good luck tho and dont forget to post the results.

beerock
11-10-2005, 09:45 PM
it doesnt say anywher ein his mods that hes ported, everyhting on it is blt on , thats why i said it could take it

rockman
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
still tryin to get it tuned we're talkin about goin to waynoka sometime this month though so i'm hopin to have results then

jon370r
11-11-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey Meat,
Wasn't it you that told me you got the bug to get a 250R after watching me drag race a bunch of Banshee's at Coal Fest. If I remember right most of those guys wouldn't line up with me after a couple runs, they just gave up trying. I know I didn't race alot of the Big dogs that weekend because they didn't want to get their Quads dirty but I was running good and could have held my own against some of them.

Meat
11-11-2005, 09:53 PM
jon370r your quad was so damn impressive to watch, I couldnt beleive what I was seeing. Pass after pass you were smokin all the Banshee's, I was so impressed that I would defintly say you were a major influence with my current love affair with the 250r. Your R ran so damn good. I watched the majority of your races from up ontop of the canyon looking down. I didnt drag race on Saturday, but I know you woulda beat me on my yellow banshee. I wish we all coulda hung out a little longer, I didnt get to bullsh*t with half of the guys who came to CF. The rain blew and I spent most of saturday trying to figure out my stator problems. hell yea man, big influence on my R purchase. wanna hear a secret ??? I bought my R in August of '04 and I havent rode my Banshee since.... not once, nada...... I ended up parking the Banshee for the end of '04 and rode my newly bought 250r for the rest of the year. When spring '05 arrived, I broke out the 250r and the poor Banshee sat the whole year, spring, summer and now the fall. Im actually in the process of parting out the ol' Banshee. I built that Banshee from frame up and with a ton of aftermarket parts, its a great quad, but im having more fun with my 250r, its just a better quad for the area I ride(central Pa).

My R is stock engine wise, just a Pro-circuit pipe and I was really dissapointed in the power output the first few times I rode it, but once I got used to the power..... well..... Im still about 25 hp short of my Banshee, but I can climb higher and ride faster on the ol' R. My Banshee used to spin the tires all the way up the big coal banks, but my R just powers right up with the robust power band it has.

Some day I'll have the powervalved 310 or 330 motor, but for now Im only modding the chassis and suspension.

jon370r's quad could quite possibly be my favorite 250r Iv ever seen. Is it still black ?? If I recall, you were selling your black plastics.

Anyways..... im gettin' way off the topic of this thread, so I'll stop blabberin'

-denny\meat
:D

JTRtrx250r
11-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Meat
jon370r your quad was so damn impressive to watch, I couldnt beleive what I was seeing. Pass after pass you were smokin all the Banshee's, I was so impressed that I would defintly say you were a major influence with my current love affair with the 250r. Your R ran so damn good. I watched the majority of your races from up ontop of the canyon looking down. I didnt drag race on Saturday, but I know you woulda beat me on my yellow banshee. I wish we all coulda hung out a little longer, I didnt get to bullsh*t with half of the guys who came to CF. The rain blew and I spent most of saturday trying to figure out my stator problems. hell yea man, big influence on my R purchase. wanna hear a secret ??? I bought my R in August of '04 and I havent rode my Banshee since.... not once, nada...... I ended up parking the Banshee for the end of '04 and rode my newly bought 250r for the rest of the year. When spring '05 arrived, I broke out the 250r and the poor Banshee sat the whole year, spring, summer and now the fall. Im actually in the process of parting out the ol' Banshee. I built that Banshee from frame up and with a ton of aftermarket parts, its a great quad, but im having more fun with my 250r, its just a better quad for the area I ride(central Pa).

My R is stock engine wise, just a Pro-circuit pipe and I was really dissapointed in the power output the first few times I rode it, but once I got used to the power..... well..... Im still about 25 hp short of my Banshee, but I can climb higher and ride faster on the ol' R. My Banshee used to spin the tires all the way up the big coal banks, but my R just powers right up with the robust power band it has.

Some day I'll have the powervalved 310 or 330 motor, but for now Im only modding the chassis and suspension.

jon370r's quad could quite possibly be my favorite 250r Iv ever seen. Is it still black ?? If I recall, you were selling your black plastics.

Anyways..... im gettin' way off the topic of this thread, so I'll stop blabberin'

-denny\meat
:D Killer post!!:D Should almost be stickied:D

Gotta say Im sad to see you part out that wicked Shee tho... :(

rebelbanshee
11-11-2005, 11:21 PM
I also am a former Banshee rider. I had a fairly worked over widened, shortend, elkas, 4mil stroker Banshee. spent alittle time on my brothers 310r and realized..hmm my Banshee is faster, but I can go alot faster on this little rascal! 3 days later i owned a 250r. Banshee is being parted out.

It was so much work to go fast on the Banshee. On my R I can use less effort and go faster longer and more consistantly. The Banshees engine would get me into trouble, with the R if I get into trouble I just give it more gas as power through. My stock jusg R is a dog compared to my 4mil Banshee, but since the power is so smooth I can get on the gas way sooner and harder and not just spin and go sideways.

If i did desert or dunes..or was like 90% of Banshee riders and just liked doing burnouts and buying billet Id be on a Banshee, but for going as fast as possible in the woods, nothing but R!

That being said, good chance he could take you in a drag. take him though the trails and see what happens. If you want to go fast in a striaght line, banshee. If you like going around corners and such, 250r.

rockman
11-13-2005, 06:12 PM
ok guys here's the skinny. got it tuned an running good now. I'm goin to slap on some new tires then were headin out should be sometime this week. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes down.:D

Meat
11-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by beerock
it doesnt say anywher ein his mods that hes ported, everyhting on it is blt on , thats why i said it could take it

"ok i got a guy at work that has a 99 shee with this done to it
port polish
toomey t5's
white brother's boost
cool heads
boyesen reeds
pro design pro-flow wit k&n"

rockman
11-20-2005, 05:54 PM
finally got my questions answered. we went riding today at a place with a little of everything(tight woods, open trails, drag, just no sand hills) also with us a 04 yfz 450 with full yoshimura titanium race, pro-flow, jetted, hotcam
Results...

1. Tight woods-----> of course i smoked his ***, when i say tight woods i'm talkin sometimes 2in clearance from trees. he was having to feather the clutch basically the whole time but thats no big suprise, he had no bottom end power whatsoever(we all swapped through out the day so i know from ridin it) The yfz was the fastest but that isn't a big suprise either, ALTHOUGH it wasn't hard to keep up with him at all, i say it was pretty close

2. Open Trails---->Well the trails were ALOT more rutted than the last time we went so you really can't compare speed wise. What did make a difference was the suspension on the banshee and the yfz, i have just stock for now so it beat the crap out of me

3. Drag----> ahh, the one area i was really worried about. the first drag was me and the shee. i launched a little too high but brought it down with out a problem, i smoked him by like 3-4 lengths. he said he tried starting in 1st or somethin and was standing it on the back too much. ok whatever. so the second drag the yfz got in on. i had a perfect launch with just the right hang all the way through, NO contest... I was pretty pumped at this point. i beat the yfz by 3-4 lengths and the shee by about the same, well thats what they said anyway they were behind me how should i know:D . we raced a couple more times with the same outcome. the last race i missed 3rd though and HE BEAT ME. but it was only by like half a lenght maybe.

overall i was really pleased with the outcome, especially considering all i have is the mods listed below. i rode both of their quads and didn't like the way they felt at all, i hated the yfz. the shee had awesome suspension(works) so it rode really good you just had to rev the piss out of it ALL the time. they both even said they were shocked at how quick my R was. They also said they wanted to get R's now. The shee guy told me he wants one to ride all the time and just have the shee for dunes!:D

Sorry this is so lengthy... but i had to let someone, anyone know that i kicked the **** outta a shee and a yfz!!! by the way in case anyone says its just that they aren't good riders, the yfz guy freestyles with akraix, and the shee guy just sold his mx kfx that he raced last season. so they are better riders than me, i am a dirtbike guy who just switched over to quads and love em.
thanks for readin let me know what you think!!!!

rockman
11-20-2005, 05:55 PM
and yes the shee is port&polish, as well as bored(don't know what to)

fugitivracing65
11-20-2005, 08:33 PM
damn dude that is pretty good. i beat shee's, yfz's, and 450's all day long out at glamis. Up Olds i would be ahead by 7-8 bike lenghts at the end of the whoops and at the top of the hill i would still be ahead of by 4-5 bike lenghts. these shee's had toomey's boost bottle's cool heads and port and polish jobs. The only thing that has beaten me was a meth burning raptor. i cant wait to get a good suspension under it and see what else it can do.

Meat
11-20-2005, 10:41 PM
awsome story !! You aughta hook us up with some video:) There's just more usable power in the 250r motor, plain and simple. What didnt you like the about the yfz450 ??

rockman
11-20-2005, 11:04 PM
well i've ridden his yfz before. i don't know what it is about it. i think its that the handlebars are just so low. that along with the godawful seat. thats just ergos though. i do like the way it handle's although it doesn't feel as good as the R.