PDA

View Full Version : more top end help

parts eeter
11-08-2005, 07:03 PM
Ok so you guys have guided me into using a CRF 450 timing chain,along with the install of my 416 kit.I have a couple of questions related to this.I have a stage 2 Magnum cam but I am debating installing it.Instead I am thinking of using the no base gasket method,and an xr400 head gasket to obtain the highest cylinder pressures.According to Mickey Dunlap a low mid cam is preferable for a woods application.I really like the powerband the way it is and if it was a little better everywhere which I believe will be attained by the overbore and high comp piston I would be happy.I also would like to know if the cam chain slider needs replaced while I am in there as well?? Has anybody ever tried a big bore kit with a stock cam??It seems every time I replace a cam with a bigger one all I end up doing is having a motor I have to rev the guts out of.My riding style is to short shift and stay in the low mid range rpms.I dont wanna kill my engine spinning it into the higher rpms all the time.Is this completely stupid or sensible??:ermm:

SHADETREE101
11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
you will need to know the profile of the cam. the new stage two hot cam has a dual purpose like you are looking for, it is inbetween the stage one and three. i run the three for drag racing. and your right you don't need to rev just to make power. the red line on these bikes are way above where they pull anyway. usually 6-7000 is max torque. if you are lugging through the woods then run the stock cam. if not run the stage one hot cam, if you want it to rev a little higher and not lose all of the low end run the new stage two hot cam.

nakomis0
11-09-2005, 04:17 AM
You want a cam. Thats without question in my opinion. I have the Web 379. I have no problem riding anywhere. A Midrange cam is probably perfered, but even something that requires a higher rev your not going to notice much.

A cam with higher compression is a match made in heaven. Your questioning heaven? lol, just kidding but ya I recommend a cam.

parts eeter
11-09-2005, 06:40 AM
I have a brand new Magnum Stage 2 cam.I can provide u guys a part number.I have no idea of the lift duration numbers.Maybe a part number will help u guys make sure this a good cam for me.I do quite oftem find myself going up steep hills and lugging my motor like when I am trying to get under a fallen tree or somethin.On the more open logging rides even then I rarely crank out my motor tightly.I usually just short shift cuz I love the torque it provides.However if the cam I have will enhance this motor everywhere and not just on top I will use it.Let me know guys and thank you all.One more thing,My motor still runs great now and has no sounds or anything beyond usual.With this engine will I need to replace valves,guides if I use this cam??? I have new seals,and in other posts I have been told this cam is bolt in minus the decompression assy?? Just confirming this would be a load off my mind.:p

bwamos
11-09-2005, 07:53 AM
The high comp alone will give you more bottom end, the stock porting w/ overbore will give you that much more bottom end. You want the cam give you top end to balance it back out.

parts eeter
11-09-2005, 09:20 AM
I understand the whole high comp=bottom end torque
cam=top end rpm
and the key of balance here.I guess what I am lookin for is specific info from other people who have the 11:1 416 kit with the Magnum Stage 2 cam.Maybe a comparison of performance that they noticed after installing these parts compared to powerband of the stock motor.Thank You:confused:

parts eeter
12-20-2005, 02:57 PM
I was told by the local ex rider at the honda shop that he had beter results using the stock cam with all of the decompression junk removed.he said this was the case with both his 416 kit and his 440.Sounds a little strange to me.I am still debating on a cam install.I hope to race the Best in the desert 250 and 500 next yr and need reliability in a big way.I have that stage 2 magnum cam but I am not sure its better than stock.All of the 440s I have ridden with this cam sucked on top end and didnt impress anywhere else either.However there could have been other issues with these quads as I didnt build them.Yuk Yuk Yuk.Thanks guys.I am almost stocked on quad parts thanks to you all and the great info.My quad thanks you as well as my wallet.If you all wanna ride Hatfield McCoy next yr I am buying refreshments for all!!!!!!!!!!

DAVE14
12-20-2005, 09:26 PM
Ide love to make the trip but Canadians are thirsty eh!