PDA

View Full Version : starting in gear without clutch

fasterthanyouex
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
okay i have an aftermarket clutch and so i connected them wires together so i could start in a gear. My question is will it do any damage to anything starting the quad in gear without the clutch pulled in?

Thanks

JOEX
11-08-2005, 05:41 PM
If there's anything or anyone in front of you there could be some damage:eek:

fasterthanyouex
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
haha let me put a note in. This will be used for starts in racing XC,and not for trail riding were i see no need for it.

ill_lil_romey
11-08-2005, 05:58 PM
NO it wont do any damage. I think that starting with the clutch engaged would be faster???? I don't race xc so inform me, but I just think that you would be able to explode out faster with the clutch engaged.

fasterthanyouex
11-08-2005, 06:02 PM
hmm i tried it ealier today but stoped after one try...when i start without the clutch pulled in i was already starting in my motion.It didnt start any faster but i seems to get on my moving way faster.

bwamos
11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
It wont hurt the engine any... however you WILL ruin your starter over time. Instead of your starter just having to deal with the crank & piston, it has to deal with the crank, piston, transmission, chain, axle, wheels, and the entire weight of the quad. That's a lot of added stress to the starter and starter gears.

NacsMXer
11-09-2005, 10:27 AM
Very true ^^^ I always cringe when I accidentally hit the starter button when the quad is in gear. I wouldn't EVER think of making it a habit of starting it that way.

fasterthanyouex
11-09-2005, 10:48 AM
okay i definally wont start the quad without the clucth. I was just curious what kinda damage it could do if i did.

Thanks

duke416ex
11-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Like they said it will just put more wear on your starter from teh extra stress, but it will probably take a long time to wear it out if you just use it on dead starts. When I was racing my 400 I started mine like that, it seemed to save timecause the second you started you were already moving and when you get it worked out how to tap the gas you are gone instantly it seems like. If I still had my 400 I would do dead starts like that, but it is just personnal preference.

Jefftrx450
11-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by fasterthanyouex
okay i have an aftermarket clutch and so i connected them wires together so i could start in a gear. My question is will it do any damage to anything starting the quad in gear without the clutch pulled in?

Thanks
I think it would wear out your starter & battery quicker because it puts more stress on them tryin to move the whole bike