PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating Advice Needed ...

lee37vernon
11-08-2005, 12:26 PM
HEY PAPPY I NEED HELP !
PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME THAT IF I POLISH UP MY 250R CASES THEY CAN BE POWDER COATED IN CLEAR . CAN THIS BE RIGHT ? SURELY THEY NEED A KEY FOR THE POWDER ?? I'M IN U.K SO UNFORTUNATELY I CAN'T JUSTIFY THE POSTAGE TO SEND EM OUT TO YOU AND MY NORMAL POWDER COATER SAY'S HE'S NEVER DONE IT SO DOES'NT WANT TO GIVE ME A STRAIGHT ANSWER ..

HOPE YOU CAN CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME , THANKS :confused:

EDIT :-

WELL I JUST READ YOU DID SO ON SOMETHING ELSE SO I'M GUESSING YOU CAN , BUT HOW DOES IT HOLD UP ..?

Pappy
11-08-2005, 03:07 PM
have the cases fully polished.

clean them with alcohol and dust them off with an air hose. you may have to use a lint free cloth to remove any and ALL traces of left over polishing compound. once you are positive they are free of compound, fingerprints and oils etc, they will need to be taped off with high temp paint. for clear, you can do this just prior to the final cleaning so you wont have to touch the parts with your fingers again.

when handling the cases, well atleast when your getting them clean enough to worry about it, wash your hands in paint thinner and dry throughly. this will help keep oils from your fingers from getting on the cases etc.

have your coater shoot them with clear, but not heavy, maybe 3 mils. after they are shot, cure them no higher then 375 degrees to avoid yellowing.

lee37vernon
11-08-2005, 03:42 PM
'' they will need to be taped off with high temp paint. ''

DO YOU MEAN TAPED UP WITH HI TEMP 'TAPE' OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING ?

ALSO I HAVE PANEL WIPE THAT I USE TO DEGREASE / CLEAN UP CAR PAINTWORK BEFORE RESPRAYING . THIS REMOVES PRETTY MUCH EVERYTHING IF USED PROPERLY . PROBABLY MORE ALCOHOL THAN NOT , BUT WOULD YOU STILL SAY USE PURE ETHER ?[

Pappy
11-08-2005, 03:52 PM
my bad, yes i meant tape. (i was trying to rush and get my computer off for a bad storm that rolled in)

i try and use pure alcohol, anything else seems to streak or has petroleum byproducts in its contents.

lee37vernon
11-08-2005, 04:02 PM
ONE MORE QUESTION , 3 MIL .. IS THAT LIKE 3MM OR SOME TERM THAT MY COATER WILL UNDERSTAND ?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ADVICE :D

Pappy
11-08-2005, 04:07 PM
he should understand it, if not, tell him it does not go on very heavy!

PWM_330EX
11-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by lee37vernon
ONE MORE QUESTION , 3 MIL .. IS THAT LIKE 3MM OR SOME TERM THAT MY COATER WILL UNDERSTAND ?

THANKS AGAIN FOR ADVICE :D

1 mil = 0.001 inches :)

Pappy
11-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by PWM_330EX
1 mil = 0.001 inches :)

better convert that he is from the UK:D

PWM_330EX
11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
better convert that he is from the UK:D

I thought they were like us here in the US, using both systems and struggling to adopt to one -- ahh, he should know inches, the English "invented" those units, I think :confused:

1 mil = 0.00254 cm

lee37vernon
11-09-2005, 05:19 PM
I USE BOTH AND 3MM IS COOL , THATS WHAT I ASSUMED IT WAS BUT THOUGHT BEST CHECK. SOUNDS PRETTY HEAVY TO ME BUT YOUR THE POWDER COATER ! :rolleyes:

Pappy
11-09-2005, 05:27 PM
lol....3mm is not a true 3 mils. your coater will know. the conversion comment was a joke..lol