PDA

View Full Version : Getting a title

fireburns99
11-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I've been looking into building a 250R from scratch, but since i live in california i would need a title. Has anyone done this before, and if so how did you go about getting a title for your creation? Any help is appreciated.
Nick

smoxy
11-09-2005, 07:38 AM
I am in a similar situation! Some frames don't come with titles, what about aftermarket, and what if I want to build my own frame? Good luck to you my friend! I will be watching this thread closely!

brokenbones
11-09-2005, 04:11 PM
well this is what i did for my long travel i built

i went in with the a roller and motor no pipe,carb seat, plastic or brakes to the state inspection office in washington state they looked at the lsr frame number and since my cases that came from service honda had no numbers they green tagged the whole quad as home made thats what it says on the registration i ahve just a registration and cant not sell it out of state for 3 years and in 3 years i will get a true tittle with the registration i buy tabs and orv stickers

i can sell it in washington if i choose or wait for a tittle to sell out of state i have had this quad out of state lots and just take copys of my paper work in my gear bag

its easy just time consuming

deathman53
11-09-2005, 05:55 PM
don't lsr frames come with a certificate of authuntifity(spelling)???? isn't that a title?

fireburns99
11-09-2005, 06:05 PM
no a title would be what you get from DMV. The certificate of authenticity is kind of like a bill of sale.

deathman53
11-09-2005, 06:09 PM
when I registered my dirtbike, they considered the coa as a title, and they did so too when I had my warrior registered. Different state, different policy I guess.

TheFontMaster
11-09-2005, 06:15 PM
In NY all you need is a bill of sale, and you can register the quad, IDK about an actual title.

brokenbones
11-10-2005, 09:18 PM
bill of sale is just that and the lsr paper work just says it not hot this is why in washington state you have to wait 3 years for a true tittle

with a true tittle i can go to any country and sell it with no questions ask about proof of ownership

just my take on it

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by brokenbones
bill of sale is just that and the lsr paper work just says it not hot this is why in washington state you have to wait 3 years for a true tittle

with a true tittle i can go to any country and sell it with no questions ask about proof of ownership

just my take on it I hear that, Wa definitly isnt to title/tab friendly as some states, they dont make it to easy to get ahold of the last registered owner either:rolleyes: :mad:

Good to know about an aftermarket frame, I wondered about that..

zedicus00
11-11-2005, 09:50 AM
sadly theres no point in having a title here in KS, all it does is let the state charge u luxary tax at the end of the yr. they dont need to be registered here, dont need any sort of paper work or stickers to ride here, and the insurance companys wont touch them with a ten foot pole here. makes it a tad dificult to get it out of impound though (dont ask) and makes riding in states like colorado a royal ******... leest i can go to wynoka withought to much trouble.

1shooter
11-11-2005, 09:49 PM
i think you guys are meaning to manufacters certificate of origin.
If you get a bill of sale from out of state. say a state that allows a bill of sale. then you can take that in with a out of state inspection and get a title. Mostly anywhere becuase you (uhhmmm) bought it out of state. Now there is a company i think in CT that buys your bike, car, atv, or any other thing with a title that rolls. They then turn around and sell it back to you for a UMM fee. YOu then have a out of state bill of sale. Now i am telling you what to do. But if you happen to meet a guy on here. NOT ME. that lives out of state you sold him your bike he then sold it back you got a bill of sale that is NOTORIZED you would have a real hard time not getting a title.

If this doesnt help you STAY OFF THE QUAD lol.