PDA

View Full Version : 450R Knocking?????

shamisc
11-08-2005, 08:40 AM
I've noticed a clanking noise in my engine since I installed a CRF cam at around 15 hrs. It now has around 35 or 40 hrs on it. I just installed the ported head and 13.5:1 Sparks JE last week and rode it hard 4 hrs on Sunday. Now the noise is alot more noticeable. When I installed the piston, the crank felt good and I couldn't feel any movement on either end of it. I'm really wanting to tear it completely down and replace the main bearings and seals. The noise seems to be louder on the clutch side. Could it be something in the clutch since the crank felt good? Could it be the balance shaft bearings? I have 4 other friends with 450r's and none of them are as loud as mine. What's your thoughts on this guys?

shamisc
11-08-2005, 01:19 PM
:confused:

redlined94
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
after I installed my Hotcam the engine got a lot louder. Has like that ticking noise. Im not sure though so if you figure somethin out let me know.

duke416ex
11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
I let the dealer put a new side cover on mine under warranty last week, since I got it back it seems louder and knocks when you lug it and a little when idleing. i can't tell if it is in the sidecover or coming from the crank.

Jersey450R
11-08-2005, 06:49 PM
its probably your cam dude, does the noise get faster with more rpm's?

JDH
11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
I also just got my hot cam put in last week and I to noticed a clank that I did not here before. I hope everything is good.

shamisc
11-08-2005, 08:26 PM
There's a difference between valve tick and clanking. Mine is clanking. Actually it gets quieter when you rev it. I took of the whole clutch side cover to check for bearing play. Crank felt tight. Balance shaft felt tight. The only thing I could figure it to be is the balance shaft sprocket and the sprocket on the crank meshing together. If you wiggle the sprocket back and forth on the balance shaft, it makes a clanking sound. Maybe this is what I'm hearing.??? My buddy brought his 450r over tonight to compare. His made the same sound, but mine was much louder. Maybe it'll be OK!! I HOPE SO!!!!!

FHKracingZ
11-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Check your valve guides and the head. It sounds like a head problem not a bottom end problem. If it was a bottom end problem it probally would of seized up by now.