PDA

View Full Version : Can you re-work a factory Banshee rear shock?

YLW400
06-20-2002, 09:31 PM
My brother just bought a 97 Banshee..trinity, stage 3 long rod (420). And the question came up about re-valving the rear shock....can you do this? And, also how do they run? His isnt running too hot right now. He said it is only hitting on 1 cylinder. he did a compression test and got 120psi on each head, but it still is running funny....sounds like a carb prob to me

nakomis0
06-20-2002, 09:44 PM
This is like the third banshee question I seen today.:)

I'm sure the Quadshop can do the Mac Daddy kit to his rear shock.

As far as the bike not running well.... Take out the reed cages and look at the reeds.

Also might wanna look into just plain caps for the carbs. Banshee carbs have these huge black rev limiter type things on the top of the carb. They don't do much but cause an occasional problem.

YLW400
06-20-2002, 09:53 PM
Well they are not factory carbs either.they are Keihin. He switched the reed from the good running side to the bad running side and said there was no difference. What does that mod on the shock you are talking about consist of?

nakomis0
06-21-2002, 10:19 AM
If reeds are ok, sounds like a carb problem. May need to be cleaned, maybe an air leak at one of the boots or even on the exhaust.

Shock rebuild...You can get it with the SSD sping or maybe thats how they all come.. but anyways...

I got this from the Quadshops website....

Rebuild your stock shocks
We are a Elka trained rebuild center.
Shock rebuilds starting at $125. Includes complete rebuild, clean up, new oil and head seal.
400ex, 250r, Raptor, Banshee, Warrior, ELKA, Custom Axis and TCS

Poncho
06-21-2002, 08:57 PM
yes they can be reworked.;)

Sounds to me it may be just a fouled plug. Happened to me when mine was only firing on one cylinder:confused:

Dave400ex
06-21-2002, 09:42 PM
You don`t have to get the SSD. It wouldn`t work right with the Stock Front Shocks. Marcum`s also Rebuilds Shocks and Baldwin will do just about anything to his Rear Shock for him.

06-23-2002, 06:24 PM
you can get a gold valve, from race teck for $130 makes it feel like a $600 coustom axis!!!

bansheeguy77
06-23-2002, 06:29 PM
yea it might be a plug...the things on top of the carbs is the tors and yea it messes up....follow it down theres a little wire tha connects them disconnect it and see if it runs right...but i doubt it is the tors cause u couldnt get it going if it was that.