PDA

View Full Version : kaboom!

400exrules
11-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Well i just started my 400 to take it around the block to keep the battery charged and to check the oil, and when i started it, it started poppin and backfiring and even stalled acouple times. It was shootin some black smoke out too. But i took my lid off and it ran alot better.
Am i just rich or am i having other problems?

JOEX
11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Moved to the powertrain section:rolleyes:

bwamos
11-07-2005, 03:54 PM
Well...
did you change anyhting in the quads powertrain since last time you rode it?

If you did.. you are just way too rich. If you had the engine open, your timing may also be off a tooth.

If you didn't.. you have something else wrong.

400exrules
11-07-2005, 04:07 PM
well i put a stage 1 hotcam in it about a month ago, but when i broke it in it wasnt actin this bad. Im guessing im real rich or somethin, cuz i usually ride with the lid off, and i just had the lid on when i noticed it crappin out and backfirin. But i just popped the lid off, and it ran alot better.

So thats what im guessin:confused:

11-07-2005, 05:21 PM
ya, if it ran good with the lid off, then you put it on and it ran crappy. then it is just jetted for no lid. if you want to run you lid you will have to re-jet to a smaller main jet, you will also have less power.

400exrules
11-07-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by mittimj
ya, if it ran good with the lid off, then you put it on and it ran crappy. then it is just jetted for no lid. if you want to run you lid you will have to re-jet to a smaller main jet, you will also have less power.

k, i guess ill just run all the time with no lid now, cuz im rarely in a situation where i need the lid (water crossings/mud), so ill just leave the jetting as is, and keep the lid off, incase i really need to lid for a certain obstacle or whatever, then i can pop it on real quick.

thanks!

oh, and what causes the black smoke on start up? Its not like, thick...its just a grey/black thin smoke

bradrenea
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Black smoke is caused by running too rich. Open the choke up a little and it should not smoke.

bwamos
11-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Aye, cylinder was probably still wet with fuel from running rich.