PDA

View Full Version : why the LTR450 makes sense

quad2xtreme
11-07-2005, 03:05 PM
Forget the pros who aren't concerned about how much it costs to make a factory quad ready to race. Think about it for the average joe who just likes to go to the track and play,

no need to replace the shocks
no need to replace the a-arms
no need to extend the brake lines and tie-rods
no need to replace the axle
no need to replace the swingarm and extend the chain
no need to replace the rear rims and tires

This is a big deal. The average guy can spend $7,200 and hit the track and be better off than ever before.

I just can't figure out why Suzuki didn't put nerfs and a killswitch on it? For that matter, why can't the manufacturers at least install some good mounts for nerfs and skids?

/Jon

Cody_300ex
11-08-2005, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Forget the pros who aren't concerned about how much it costs to make a factory quad ready to race. Think about it for the average joe who just likes to go to the track and play,

This is a big deal. The average guy can spend $7,200 and hit the track and be better off than ever before.

I just can't figure out why Suzuki didn't put nerfs and a killswitch on it? For that matter, why can't the manufacturers at least install some good mounts for nerfs and skids?

/Jon

No your going to want to replace the rear rims with beadlocks, and you'll most likely change to rear tires that are track proven.

Cindi
11-08-2005, 08:25 AM

This is a big deal. The average guy can spend $7,200 and hit the track and be bette

r off than ever before.

/Jon

The nerf and kill switch thing has to do with leagal issues. Their is only so much they can do to the bike. It was just last year that they were able to advertise the word race with an ATV at all.

:p You are correct with not having to do much. Doug said that bike is so great stock that everyone will be eating their words when it comes out. ( I would say he knows that one) I am running it almost stock (adding nerfs and a kill) I have to soften the stock suspension a tad. It set up for someone like Doug so it is a bit harsh for me. I will also be trying the stock tires. I will have less than $500.00 added to it to race it in the womens A class. :p

I will say this I know in one of the test sessions they were testing out the stock Axle to see if it would break. They bent the rims but not the axle. Now I am not saying that the stock axle wont bend but it is very stong stock.

quad2xtreme
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
No your going to want to replace the rear rims with beadlocks, and you'll most likely change to rear tires that are track proven.

Note my original quote. You really think the average Joe needs better tires and beadlocks to play with this bike on a track?

quad2xtreme
11-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Cindi
The nerf and kill switch thing has to do with leagal issues. Their is only so much they can do to the bike. It was just last year that they were able to advertise the word race with an ATV at all.

:p You are correct with not having to do much. Doug said that bike is so great stock that everyone will be eating their words when it comes out. ( I would say he knows that one) I am running it almost stock (adding nerfs and a kill) I have to soften the stock suspension a tad. It set up for someone like Doug so it is a bit harsh for me. I will also be trying the stock tires. I will have less than $500.00 added to it to race it in the womens A class. :p

I will say this I know in one of the test sessions they were testing out the stock Axle to see if it would break. They bent the rims but not the axle. Now I am not saying that the stock axle wont bend but it is very stong stock.

Not sure why a killswitch would be a legal issue. Seems like it would improve the safety much like the ones every manufacturer puts on a waverunner. Same with nerf bars. Cannondale put them on stock so I doubt there is a legal issue with that. There has to be a better explanation. It would certainly cut down on the number of people visiting the emergency room with a broken ankle.

Cindi
11-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Not sure why a killswitch would be a legal issue. Seems like it would improve the safety much like the ones every manufacturer puts on a waverunner. Same with nerf bars. Cannondale put them on stock so I doubt there is a legal issue with that. There has to be a better explanation. It would certainly cut down on the number of people visiting the emergency room with a broken ankle.

Cannondale wasn't in all the lawsuits back in the day when Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha first bailed out of the ATV support thing. They have restrictions they have to follow.

Heybo
11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
Cannondale wasn't in all the lawsuits back in the day when Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha first bailed out of the ATV support thing. They have restrictions they have to follow.

Those agreed upon restricitons are no longer active and that is why the manufacturers are going after the race market once again.

Hawk III
11-09-2005, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Heybo
Those agreed upon restricitons are no longer active and that is why the manufacturers are going after the race market once again.

why would you fight with her on these issues? she has first hand knowledge with team suzuki and doug ffs. and why would you think you are a so called expert on the rules in this regard? there are still some rules the factories have to follow in regard to what they can or can't put on a atv.

Cindi
11-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Hawk III
why would you fight with her on these issues? she has first hand knowledge with team suzuki and doug ffs. and why would you think you are a so called expert on the rules in this regard? there are still some rules the factories have to follow in regard to what they can or can't put on a atv.

:p That is correct. If is was that easy. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki would all have nerfs and a kill and none of them do. It has to be for some reason right. So if it was that simple they would all have that stuff on it also. ;)

If anyone wants to know why call Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki and ask them. It is no secret to them.

LTR450_#67
11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't see why any of you are making a big issue out of the R450 not having nerfs and a tether cord kill switch. You sound like a bunch of sissys if you ask me....
Besides the cost of a killswitch is a measily $20 for a cheap one and about $85 for a Pingel. Better safe than sorry if you ask me. And for nerfbars, I'm guessing Suzuki will have that as an accessory/ option like they do for the Z400, so if you would like them order them.

Hey Cindi.....do you know if Doug and Jeremiah are gonna be able to run the Indoor ProQuad Stadium Series with the new 450's? I ask this because I don't know if it's like the outdoor series where there has to be so many units made in order to race it.

Thats all folks

Cindi
11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Love the screen name :)

The LTR 450 should be in production in December just not to the dealers until January. Last I heard. It may have changed. From what I understand it only has to be in production to run and it will be at that time and I do beleive they are planning on running some if not all the indoor series on the new LTR450.

It will be exciting to see the new bike on the track.

quad2xtreme
11-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
I don't see why any of you are making a big issue out of the R450 not having nerfs and a tether cord kill switch. You sound like a bunch of sissys if you ask me....
Besides the cost of a killswitch is a measily $20 for a cheap one and about $85 for a Pingel. Better safe than sorry if you ask me. And for nerfbars, I'm guessing Suzuki will have that as an accessory/ option like they do for the Z400, so if you would like them order them.

Hey Cindi.....do you know if Doug and Jeremiah are gonna be able to run the Indoor ProQuad Stadium Series with the new 450's? I ask this because I don't know if it's like the outdoor series where there has to be so many units made in order to race it.

Thats all folks

What do you mean better safe than sorry?

450r51
11-09-2005, 12:59 PM
hes talking bout the killswitch, a pingel is 85 compared to some of the cheap ones which only cost about 20

300exOH
11-09-2005, 01:10 PM
:p That is correct. If is was that easy. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki would all have nerfs and a kill and none of them do. It has to be for some reason right. So if it was that simple they would all have that stuff on it also. ;)

If anyone wants to know why call Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki and ask them. It is no secret to them.

Not wanting to argue but why can the mini quads have foot boards and kill switches stock and the full sized quads can't? Even for non racers I think the nerfs and kill witches are a great idea. I guess the manufacturers do have the opportunity to make extra money on those items though. I really don't mind that they don't come with them though because it gives the owner the choice and ability to personalize their quad.

quad2xtreme
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 300exOH
Not wanting to argue but why can the mini quads have foot boards and kill switches stock and the full sized quads can't? Even for non racers I think the nerfs and kill witches are a great idea. I guess the manufacturers do have the opportunity to make extra money on those items though. I really don't mind that they don't come with them though because it gives the owner the choice and ability to personalize their quad.

I agree that kill switches and nerfs are good ideas. If nothing more than to improve safety for this sport. If you get hurt on an ATV and go to the emergency room, tell them you fell down. If you say it was an ATV accident, it gets reported as such.

The purpose of discussing this in a public forum is the vendors are either viewing the websites or have web crawlers going all through the sites to collect information about what is being said.

The nerf was just one of the issues. I also think the manufacturers take the cheap approach when it comes to skid plate mounting points. I for one would like to see the manufacturers build common skidplate mounts into the frame. All the aftermarket designs rely on some piece of aluminum to clamp over the frame. It is just a matter of time until it wears the paint off. It wouldn't be that way if I led the engineering team. Hopefully this isn't a legal issue too.

I would love to read the pertinent text exerpts from the agreement each of these manufacturers made with the CSPC especially as it relates to kill switches and nerf bars. I wonder what else was considered as "race" equipment. Maybe this is why all the factory handlebars don't have any padding too.

/Jon

z400ACDC
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM

Cindi, I got a feeling that 06 will be a great year for Team Suzuki! No more going to a gun battle with a pocket knife:macho

Cindi
11-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by z400ACDC
Cindi, I got a feeling that 06 will be a great year for Team Suzuki! No more going to a gun battle with a pocket knife:macho

:D That's funny. I think it will be a good year also. Not that they didn't have a great season this year. 2nd & 3rd is really good and on a Z400 too.:p

I know Gust and Jones are really excited about next season. It will be an interesting one to watch with all the talent in the pro class now. EVERYBODY will be stepping up. I don't think anyone will have a season like Doug did last year and John did this year so it will be fun to watch.

bwamos
11-10-2005, 08:47 AM
I agree.
I've always been loyal to Honda. But, that new Suzuki is a damn fine machine. Cant wait to get some seat time to see if it really is the machine for me.

I love how they kept the classic suzuki quadracer look.

LTR450_#67
11-10-2005, 12:07 PM
What do you mean better safe than sorry?

What I meant by that is, is it doesn't matter how much the thing cost as long as the product does what it is made to do....For EXAMPLE: A Pingle kill switch is like $85 and a cheap killswitch is $20, and you know what? They do the same thing. They are just designed different in how they look, but the initial concept of stopping the spark, killing the engine and saving possibly your life or the life of your quad is the same. I guess its just personal preference on how much you wanna spend or how you want it to look.

AND now for why the LTR450 makes sense......

I think the LTR will be a great machine for most racers alike.... From the guy who likes to keep it in his budget and take it to the track on the weekends just for fun, to the serious guy who has it decked out and trains everyday, goes to the national every 2 weeks and/or to the local races every weekend. The LTR should handle the weekend warrior like a piece of cake.

This next season should be a blast. I am probably just gonna put the basic, pipe, tires, kill switch, nerfs, numbers and probably some handlebars on it for B class. I plan going to a couple of Nationals, one for sure the one in Walnut, IL and possibly Red Bud

Hey Cindi do you know if the handlebar clamps are for the usual 7/8 bar or for Fat bars? I am really stoked about this quad having an antivibe stem stock. The price is right for the quad IMO.

quad2xtreme
11-10-2005, 12:29 PM
#67 - I understand and agree. I would just like to see Suzuki put the kill switch and the nerf bars on the quad so it is really race ready. We wouldn't have to answer questions on how to install a kill switch either. :) For the nerf bars, it is two fold. It would be cheaper and cleaner for them to it. The 2nd is it would cut down on the number of cheap arses not putting nerfs on, getting hurt, and telling the emergency room they got hurt in a quad accident. I see guys at the track with no nerfs all the time. For goodness sakes, tell the ER you fell down the steps if you are dumb enough to ride without nerfs.

For skids, I would love for the manufacturers to build common mounts into the frame so we didn't have to rely on those nasty aluminum clamps over the frame to secure the skids. Hopefully the manufacturer's webcrawlers will pick up on this thread and think about doing this next year.

I think Suzuki is going to do really well in all levels of grass roots racing. I don't think this is going to have any major impact on making the pro Suzuki riders do any better. They have top of the line equipment anyhow. It will be an interesting year to watch just as long as Doug stays healthy.

I look forward to getting my hands on one of these quads next Spring. I was set to get a 450r and start upgrading for the track but I will hold off assuming the EFI isn't an issue. No doubt my girlfriend will be demanding one too.

My big upgrade will be Flexxbars. I will never have another quad without a set of these again. I rode the track one time with them and it is a night and day difference. It actually made more of a difference than going from stock shocks to Elkas. These bars are a miracle.

hondaracing_13
11-11-2005, 06:52 AM
I just don't understand why Suzuki don't offer the LTR450 in a XC ready to race option. 20" tires on the rear and 22" up front, some underbelly and it will be ready to go.

bwamos
11-11-2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by hondaracing_13
I just don't understand why Suzuki don't offer the LTR450 in a XC ready to race option. 20" tires on the rear and 22" up front, some underbelly and it will be ready to go.

That's what the factory optional accessories will be for. ;)

quad2xtreme
11-11-2005, 08:08 AM

It will require more than that. It will need a narrower axle, new a-arms, revalving the shocks.

/Jon

LTR450_#67
11-11-2005, 09:22 AM
quad2xtreme-I totally agree with what you have to say too....but till something happens were just gonna have to wait.

You really think those Flexxbars are the bars to have though...I have heard great things about them but I had already put a set of TAG T2s on when they just came out. I am pretty happy with the T2s though, very comfortable IMO. I heard the flexxbars benefit/help riders with wrist injurys by taking the jolts or vibration out quite a bit. I broke my wrist about almost 2years ago and it still doesn't quite feel right. Maybe I'll look into getting a set of Flexxbars this around.:)

later

quad2xtreme
11-11-2005, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
quad2xtreme-I totally agree with what you have to say too....but till something happens were just gonna have to wait.

You really think those Flexxbars are the bars to have though...I have heard great things about them but I had already put a set of TAG T2s on when they just came out. I am pretty happy with the T2s though, very comfortable IMO. I heard the flexxbars benefit/help riders with wrist injurys by taking the jolts or vibration out quite a bit. I broke my wrist about almost 2years ago and it still doesn't quite feel right. Maybe I'll look into getting a set of Flexxbars this around.:)

later

Seriously knowing what I know now after riding with the Flexxbars, I would pay $1,000 for them instead of the $275 I did pay. You just can't believe how much impact they absorb when landing and even more so when you have a bad landing and one wheel comes down first. Even with an antivibe stem, if the bar is giving in one direction by going downward, it is then going up on the other side. The Flexxbars allow each side to give independently. Totally awesome feel.

If I were Fasstco, I would have a quad at every track every weekend giving free demo rides.

Can you hijack your own thread? :D

/Jon

hondaracing_13
11-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
That's what the factory optional accessories will be for. ;)
The reason I asked, is at Jims Motorcyle sales where I get alot of my parts told me that there were no factory optional parts coming with it. What you see is what you get, so I was just wondring.

jason14x
11-12-2005, 06:55 AM
I think Jims motorcycle sales is confused! I do know from talking to some suzuki and industry folks there will be factory optional parts similar to what GYT-R offers and such. I dont know if they'll offer the same extent , (a-arms, axle etc,....maybe Cindi could tell us that? ) But i am aware that there will be options out there.

Now as far as the XC guys who keep whining.....come one guys you guys have had it easy for the last 20+ years as far as racing a stock suspended bike.....give us a break !" I dont wanna say stick it in your face ..." but we finally got a machine for us MX'ers / hi-per riders so just stop complaining ....who knows maybe next year the dealers will have an option.....or they'll bump up the z-400 a few cc's?

Jason

Cody_300ex
11-13-2005, 09:51 AM
I think manufacters should put kill switches on quads for safety reasons not to make it race ready. It would help shut up all the critics who say quads are "unsafe". JMO

Luecker
11-13-2005, 06:54 PM
I think manufacters should put kill switches on quads for safety reasons not to make it race ready. It would help shut up all the critics who say quads are "unsafe". JMO

They all have kill swithes. It is called a engine run/off switch that is operated by your left thumb. Tether kill switches are going to change anything. Besides it would be like a seat belt where most people won't clip it on anyways.

ATVs are unsafe if you have the wrong person riding them. It's kind of like a skateboard. It is only as safe as the person riding it.

BSTURDIVANT
11-24-2005, 06:07 PM
Looks like we'll be converting one to XC for next year- looks like 4 by 1 fronts will get us by on the front, hubs or axle change on rear unless Suzuki wises up and makes the axle adjustable!
By making the axle like Lonestar etc., everyone could be happy!
We have to remember- They are'nt in production yet and input could determine final unit design!

hsr
12-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Luecker
They all have kill swithes. It is called a engine run/off switch that is operated by your left thumb. Tether kill switches are going to change anything. Besides it would be like a seat belt where most people won't clip it on anyways.

ATVs are unsafe if you have the wrong person riding them. It's kind of like a skateboard. It is only as safe as the person riding it.

I agree with most of your post, but the engine run/off switch might be pretty hard to reach and shut off after you've been ejected 20ft. off of the machine...

K_Fulk
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Chances are if you had a 400ex, 450r or z400 you raced previously you already have them.

Jonas
12-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, who here has sat on one and what did you think. One was at the Seattle Motorcylcle show tonight and I thought it was pretty sweet. We will have to see how it will hold up.

bwamos
12-05-2005, 09:15 AM
The reason I asked, is at Jims Motorcyle sales where I get alot of my parts told me that there were no factory optional parts coming with it. What you see is what you get, so I was just wondring.

FYI - They already have the Yoshimura pipe for it (joint venture). Shown on the quad at the dealer shows. That should be enough evidince that there will be factory upgrades. Also if you go to their site.. they already have an "accessories" tab on the page. There's just nothing there yet.

AL Elks
01-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH

As far as mini quads go, it's called "marketing"! They know that the more attractive they make it to the parents (safety wise) the more quads they will sell. That and children are more fragile than adults.

motox450r
01-01-2006, 10:37 AM
well it certainly seems they have took the time and did lots of homework. unlike the road schollar's at yamaha! garbage!!!! YAMAHA SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR RELEASING THE FIRST RAPTOR'S, they all should bought back and crushed. it won't be that easy to get me off my honda. if i bought a suzuki i'd still have to stick about 5 in it. i have to have the best shock on the planet pep, those will be the best stock shock out, but not good enough for me. and those new swingers, they are the shiz. the suzuki frame will be suspect though. then again if ya have pep's you can get by without the gussett's, they are very frame friendly. the fuel injection is the way of the future, but do they have it down to a science. if they have an completely stock class the suzuki shines like no other. for the people who just want to dabble in mx this quad is the one for them. sometimes crazy and nuts lands on the podium too! lol!!! i'm definely not bashing either, this quad can win in it's stock form. i think it's better on paper than it will actually be on track. but time will tell. i've kicked around buyin one for my wife. she has a need for speed and the ol 400ex isn't get her rocks off anymore. pretty bad for a 44 year old woman. woops sorry hunny, your still 20 in my eyes. well good luck to all i think you will be getting a sweet quad. ps i bought the first quadracer back in 85 so i have a soft spot in my heart for the suzuki. but for me HONDA RULES!!!!!