PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild

Blue250X
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
How hard would it be to rebuild my engine. All i need is new rings because these are lettin oil through and probably a new piston. how hjard would it be to do it myself??

ZeroLogic
11-07-2005, 01:50 PM
not hard at all if you know what your doing

bwamos
11-07-2005, 02:28 PM
Cake with a service manual.

You WILL have to have someone (local shop) hone your cylinder for you when you replace the rings. If you don't your rings will not seat.

The job basically consists of, removing plastic, tank, carb, head cover, remove timing chain sprocket (so you can get the cylinder off), remove the head bolts/stud nuts, sliding the cylinder off, replacing the rings, honing the cylinder, and reassembling.

You can do it in a couple hours with some practice.

Use motorcycle safe dino (non-synthetic), to break in the rings. After a good 4 hour break in you can put the good stuff back in.

Cody_300ex
11-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
not hard at all if you know what your doing

Its not hard at all, Ive done it twice, once when i was 11 and the second last spring when I was 13. You make sure you have a repair manual. and DONT skip out on doing the chain tensioner, a friends did and had to buy a new one. Make sure you set your ring gap, and If you have a aftermarket cam, I would clay it just in case.

Blue250X
11-07-2005, 06:17 PM
what is honing the cylinder?? how do i do it??

ZeroLogic
11-07-2005, 06:51 PM
its making the cylinder smooth and you cant do it just get a shop to do it

Cody_300ex
11-07-2005, 07:09 PM

No actually It takes all the tiny uneven scratches out of the cylinder that would cause oil to seep threw. But to do that it cross-hatches the cylinder which is pretty much a series of tiny tiny scatches that look like a bunch of X's that help the rings seat.

ZeroLogic
11-07-2005, 08:16 PM
sorry bout that my mistake

Elka83
11-07-2005, 08:58 PM

Not true, if you have a power drill or anything like that, you just need to get a honing device and put it on the drill and hone your eninge, its extreamly easy. all you do it go up and down the cylinder walls a few times and BAM, lol you honed your cylinder

ZeroLogic
11-08-2005, 04:48 AM
sorry bout that my mistake

Cody_300ex
11-08-2005, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Elka83
Not true, if you have a power drill or anything like that, you just need to get a honing device and put it on the drill and hone your eninge, its extreamly easy. all you do it go up and down the cylinder walls a few times and BAM, lol you honed your cylinder

Yea but there are extremely expensive!!!!

Blue250X
11-08-2005, 05:18 PM
could i just buy a wiseco piston, would i hjave to hone that?? is that all i do, do i have to bore ne thing??

Blue250X
11-09-2005, 01:05 PM
any one??

ZeroLogic
11-09-2005, 01:52 PM
you can buy a wiseco pistion and ring i would get that you dont have to hone it just make sure its the right bore size

you can get a wiseco pistion and rings off of www.magicracing.com for about 80 dollars i belive

bwamos
11-09-2005, 02:15 PM
Above isn't quite right.

Even with the Weisco piston and rings.. you still have hone the cylinder sleeve. If you do not hone the cylinder sleeve walls your rings cant seat properly and your blow-by will be worse than it is now.

Unless you have excessive wear or scaring, you don't need to increase the bore of the cylinder sleeve.

You may be best off buying the parts.. and stripping down the quad of the plastics, and extra parts, and take it to a good shop and have them install the piston for you.

You're going to have to gap the rings, install the rings in the proper directions, etc or it won't work right. The right tools help a lot too.

Blue250X
11-09-2005, 02:43 PM
why cant i do it, i know they will hone the cylinder, but why cant i just follow the directions and get r done?? im not mad at you though, it might sound like it but im not. just a question

bwamos
11-09-2005, 03:47 PM
I dont upset easily. ;)

You can easily do it yourself. I wasn't saying you can't.

It's just one of those jobs you want to follow the directions very very closely. It's very easy to do right , but also very easy to do wrong.

The other guy was saying it didn't need to be honed. The sleeve always has to be honed when any time you replace the rings.

Get a service manual and the piston. Take the cylinder to a local shop and get it honed. Then put it back together, following the instructions in the service manual and the weisco piston. You should be set.

Break it back in with regular oil. You can switch back to synthetic/semi after about 4 hours of engine time.

Study the service manual. (not the owners manual). You have to take a lot of stuff apart to do this. Know what your going to do before you do it.. or you'll end up doing 10x as much work. For example, dropping your timing chain or a loose washer into the transmission. Or setting the timing on your cam with the slack in the chain on the wrong side. Securing or removing your tensioner so the parts don't shoot out into your transmission, using a rag to keep gasket material out of your tranny when your scraping it off, how your going to scrape off your gasket material without marring the aluminum, etc...

Blue250X
11-09-2005, 05:10 PM
alright, thanks, i will just be REALLY careful

Blue250X
11-10-2005, 03:40 PM
how much do they charge to hone? how much do they charge to put all the parts in if i buy them?? how much to put an oversized one in?

Cody_300ex
11-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
how much do they charge to hone? how much do they charge to put all the parts in if i buy them?? how much to put an oversized one in?

About 50 dollars an hour. It shouldnt be no more than 30 bucks just for them to hone it unless they charge you by the hour then it will be how much ever they charge an hour.

Cody_300ex
11-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Here is a picture of a honed cylinder(see what appers to be tiny X's everywhere?).