PDA

View Full Version : 400ex or 450R for GNCC's

gpd005
11-07-2005, 12:35 PM
Okay here's my question, and i would prefer some answers from some of the other GNCC racers out there. I am planning on doing most of the races in 2006. I have a decent 400ex, and i did okay in the Ironman this year. I would like to be able to get a 450. But by the time i can swing the funds for a 450 i won't have any extra to wrap up in it. So can i be competitive on a 400 with some mods or should i just get a 450 and add to it as i can. I mean you can pick up some sweet 400's for like 3 G's. And i can't seem to find any 450's for much less that 4 g's. Just wanted to get some other idea's. Thanks for any help you can offer up to me! I mean i'd love to buy Cooks quad but the wife doesn't seem to like the $8,000 price tag to much:rolleyes:

Dirtiredneck
11-07-2005, 12:44 PM
I would say you could go both ways with it, bit I just broke down and bought an 05 450r myself. I raced first year racer last year and only hit a couple of races and ended up in the top 12 in all of them. I felt really comfortable on my 400 out there, but still thrugh I lacked a little something that the 450r had. I then raced my buddy's 450r at Unidella and loved it. I came in 11th, but had some problems off the start with stalling and getting use to the kick starter. I can tell you that no one got by me on the thing in any fields or straight sections. I have been riding it in the woods now for the last couple of weeks and I am getting faster and faster on it. I would break down and find a good deal on the 450r...You won't regret it...

gpd005
11-08-2005, 07:52 AM
I may take your advice and just try and find a 450. I just felt like i really got blown off the line by everyone else at the GNCC race this year. Not to mention a select few who start their motors before the flag goes up.

450robot
11-08-2005, 09:10 AM
the bike you choose should be based on what your comortable with, but i would choose the 400 or price, but the 450 for water cooling, because when those cooling fins on the 400 get clogged, you could be in a world of trouble

Dirtiredneck
11-08-2005, 09:28 AM
I actually was beeting my teamates off the line at the races on my 400. They ride a 450Yami, Polaris Pred, and another 450r. I would say it was do to my tires really hooking up and timing on the starter.....We will see whathappens with the 450 this year

cletusEX
11-08-2005, 01:22 PM
I came off a fully aftermarket 416ex last January to a mostly stock 450r. The kicker took a little getting used to but I feel I adapted well to the 450r. Within a few weeks I was noticably faster on the 450r. My 416 had plenty of power but the 450r was a lot smoother with the power delivery. In the more open woods and fields the 450r was a lot better. I'm not saying a 400ex is not able to compete I just know I made the right decision with the switch. I ran GT Thunder rebuilds this past year and was really impressed. I think I'm gonna try Axis, at least in the front, for the upcoming year. If you do pick up a 450r do the normal protection of skids, nerfs, and a bumper. After that I would look at any one of the companys offering stock shock rebuilds. It is a lot cheaper than aftermarket but makes a world of difference. Good luck with whatever you decide!:)