PDA

View Full Version : 05 450 vs. 06 450

rustysluts
11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
trying to figure out what is the better machine for me. I realize the 06 is probablly the better performer, but how about the reliability.
I'm more of a recreational rider, not looking to get into something that will require me to tear it down after 15-30 hours.
i want to figure out which one is going to stay out of the shop.

I shy away from the yamaha 450 because I hear that's the worst as far as reliability.

So far people tell me to pick up the 05 450 as opposed to the 06, but how about some of your thoughts...
thanks

KRMit
11-07-2005, 12:56 PM
It's a Honda so it's going to be reliable anyway. That's the main reason I got Honda over Yamaha. The '06 motor is almost identical to the CRF so I'd consider it fairly proven.

I didn't wait to check out the LT450 because it's going to be brand new and who knows what bugs it will have, but I didn't hesitate to buy a new Honda because well... it's a Honda!

4ABURN
11-08-2005, 12:40 PM
IF taken care off,(oil and air filters often) than 05 or 06 I don,t think will matter. the 05 does make alittle less power in stock trim,so mabe a little less stress,put you are still splitting hairs. How you take care off it will make the biggest differance.:D If you don,t really care about the added performance of the 06 than save some money and buy the 05. But I couldn,t do it.:)

I hope that helps.

bluebaron
11-08-2005, 03:58 PM
what about after market stuff, will the same exhuast and a-arms, ect fit on either models

Transplant2
11-08-2005, 07:47 PM
A-arms yes...exhaust no. Get the '06...it's way faster. If someone tells you to get the '05 it's because they don't wanna lose! :macho

Jersey450R
11-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Transplant2
A-arms yes...exhaust no. Get the '06...it's way faster. If someone tells you to get the '05 it's because they don't wanna lose! :macho
...or they like the fact that they still have the reliable motor specifically designed for the 450R quad, not a dirtbike throw-in. we will see in a few months...

speedfreaksguy
11-09-2005, 09:06 AM
The 06 has many improvements over the 04-05. Anyone that tells you otherwise must own an 04-05. The CRF 450 motor is one of the most reliable of all of the current 450's (dirtbikes). Buy the 06. I know I would if I didn't already have a laid-out 04.

Transplant2
11-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
...or they like the fact that they still have the reliable motor specifically designed for the 450R quad, not a dirtbike throw-in. we will see in a few months... Throw in eh??? This isn't yamaha we are talking about. :rolleyes: Maybe they actually fixed the crank and sidecase issues? The increased stock power makes the choice easy. I did get the two year warranty...just in case...after reading about all the 04/05 issues on this board. :huh

troutman561
11-10-2005, 08:43 AM
its always amazing how when something better comes along the ppl with the previous model all find somethin to complain about, like when the 05' 400ex came out every was saying reserve is for pu**ys and stuff, basicly finding some excuse because thye dont have the up to date... and i didnt think the 06 450r would be hated on so much, but i guess ppl have found something, the next stuff we are gona be hearing is 12:1 compression ratio is for pu**ys.... it will always be something tho, i guess until all bikes come with a standing blow job aperatus(sp?) on them ppl will still complain

JRDrider22
11-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Guys, yes the new 06 is faster. Put it into some pin points though, its a Honda. Right now Honda is the best reliable motor out there. If anything this is a better step for the future. Im glad that Honda didn't produce a fuel injected quad. We will have to see how the Suzuki does and things will go farther next year.

4ABURN
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Can't please everyone all the time!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

You know ppl are talking like this is a all motor.????? this motor has been around as long as the motor in the 04 trx has. I think it has allready proved itself.(same reliability,more power.) Can't lose.

:huh :huh :D

bwamos
11-10-2005, 01:45 PM
...or they like the fact that they still have the reliable motor specifically designed for the 450R quad, not a dirtbike throw-in. we will see in a few months...

Or, honda may have possibly designed to motor to be strong enough to work in both machines with just a change in the ignition timing/curve, and cam. So they dont have to produce different parts for both machines.

KEVIN132
11-10-2005, 04:43 PM
if i was buying new and had the money i would go 06 ,but my 04 is paid for and all my mods make me faster than an 06 so guess what im doin! i would actually go online buy and old race bike for $4,500 modded to hell ,thats where the deals are!!!!!!!!!!

twisted threads
11-10-2005, 05:26 PM
If I was going to get a new quad I would buy the 06. I have a 04 and 05 trx450r and there both GREAT bikes but the 06 is just a little better in a bunch of ways.

Jersey450R
11-10-2005, 09:00 PM
I see i got everyones panties up in a bunch on this thread. i'm sorry for telling the truth. people hate that. :rolleyes: What i was trying to say was the 04-05 motors were made to endure the torque and stress that a quad puts on the motor. Now we have a dirtbike motor trying to turn 2 quad tires, not one skinny and light dirtbike tire. sounds stupid, but its true. I can go all into detail but people know what i mean. When the 450R first came out, Honda said it was a redisgned crf motor to Compensate for added beating a quad takes. I'm just a little annoyed that honda actually took a step backward...MOTORwise, that is.

I have to say, i do like the chassis upgrades though :p

atvdude
11-11-2005, 03:33 AM
I see i got everyones panties up in a bunch on this thread. i'm sorry for telling the truth. people hate that. :rolleyes: What i was trying to say was the 04-05 motors were made to endure the torque and stress that a quad puts on the motor. Now we have a dirtbike motor trying to turn 2 quad tires, not one skinny and light dirtbike tire. sounds stupid, but its true. I can go all into detail but people know what i mean. When the 450R first came out, Honda said it was a redisgned crf motor to Compensate for added beating a quad takes. I'm just a little annoyed that honda actually took a step backward...MOTORwise, that is.

I have to say, i do like the chassis upgrades though :p

All you have to say is pure speculation. You have no clue what you are talking about. Until you own an 06 for awhile ide say then you can be a critic. quote trash talking the 06 because you dont have one yet . Honda spends big money on research and development. So far they have not let us down.

Transplant2
11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
I see i got everyones panties up in a bunch on this thread. i'm sorry for telling the truth. people hate that. :rolleyes: And what engine problems do the 06's have??? I am sure honda knew their new motor was going to power two quad tires. :rolleyes:

bwamos
11-11-2005, 02:55 PM
I see i got everyones panties up in a bunch on this thread. i'm sorry for telling the truth. people hate that. :rolleyes: What i was trying to say was the 04-05 motors were made to endure the torque and stress that a quad puts on the motor. Now we have a dirtbike motor trying to turn 2 quad tires, not one skinny and light dirtbike tire.....

Who says they aren't putting the beefed up 06 ATV motor in the 06 Dirtbike. Perhaps, you're just looking at it backwards. ;) ATV's have a much larger market share than they did 5-10 years ago. I'd bet they sell more TRX450R/ER's this year than they do CR450R's.

11-11-2005, 09:36 PM
so back to the orig question is the 06 as reliable?? does it have a beefed up trany like the 04/5 and does the manual say it needs to be rebuilt every (X) hrs?????? just curiouse cuse i have riden and raced my 04 2x aweek for 22 mos and it runs beter now than ever. (gota love honda) but i'm geting the 06 for the ponies:macho

4ABURN
11-12-2005, 07:24 AM
MY crf said it had to be rebuilt every 15 hours (piston rings pin you know) I put a hour meter on when new and put 60 hours on the bike and still run like a champ.When tore it down the piston was right on the edge of spec. Drove it hard just not off the revlimiter like some ppl.:D

Just my 2cents:D

11-12-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Who says they aren't putting the beefed up 06 ATV motor in the 06 Dirtbike. Perhaps, you're just looking at it backwards. ;) ATV's have a much larger market share than they did 5-10 years ago. I'd bet they sell more TRX450R/ER's this year than they do CR450R's.

actually they sell more atvs then they do streetbikes, dirtbikes, and watercrafts COMBINED :macho

i would go with the 06, then if you like ER u can get it etc, i own the 05, and i plan on keeping it, in all reality it doesnt really matter what year your on, they r all pretty close to the same, maybe the only differance is a drag race, but who is gonna just drag race and not ride anywhere else, not many people, but i would go with the 06, then choose wether u want ER or kick etc, and u have more choices, and more power for not that much more money

Dave400ex
11-12-2005, 09:06 AM
I don't think there will be any problems. It seems the top end is more like the dirt bike, but the bottom end is still going to have the beefed up tranny and what not. Honda would not just throw in a dirt bike engine...

STR330R
11-12-2005, 10:20 AM
My personal opinion is that the 06 is a awesome improvement for honda. People should be glad they made the changes, but i guess honda is damned if they do and damned if they don't according to some people reactions.