PDA

View Full Version : back on a 250r after way too long

F2W
11-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Just thought I'd say hello, and give a little info.

I had a 250r about 15 years ago when they dominated the dunes. well short story I sold it and got into sand rails, that lasted about 5 years and decided to go four wheelin instead. still own a four wheel drive actually three of them and plenty of ATVs and motorcycles. In 2000 my new wife and I bought 2 Brand new Banshees as wedding presents for ourselves we ended up selling mine and keeping her's and it became mine she didn't care to ride it anymore.

Well earlier this year we sold that banshee (kick myself for doing it) and moved on. Well about 3 weeks ago we went to the dunes with some friends and the only thing I had to ride was my son's DVX 400 or my Grizzly. both were fun to ride but I truly missed my Banshee.

As the story goes I told myself ok I'm either going to get a Banshee again and trick it out even more then my last one or maybe I'll get lucky and fine a decent 250r because I truly loved my old 250R.

Yesterday I decided that I needed to go burn up some corners on my VFR interceptor and went for about 130 mile ride. I decided when I got back to the Highway I would bypass it and cruise thru the small towns and go visit a friend. As I happened to get into one of the towns I looked to the right and there it was, a 1986 250R with a 4 sale sign on it. I looked it over and wrote down the numbers, went up to the house but no one was home. I went back today with my son and nephew and the people were home. I asked the price and asked if it ran because it was a little rough. He told me it ran and came out to fire it up for me. It started about the 10th kick after sitting for about 4 months. It ran good but I soon found it had a base gasket leaking. My son got on it and took off down the street with low tires and it ran pretty good for bad gas and all. I came to a deal with the owner for $700.00 less then his asking price and asked if he would take a check or would i have to wait till tomorrow and bring him cash. He said either way but that he was leaving out of town in a couple of hours so a check would be fine. so I went home got my truck and the check book and picked it up.

I'm stoked about having another 250R to play with and I think this forum will help me get Re-familiarized with them again.

I'm sure You'll get tired of me asking questions here soon lol

Phillip

elchankoblanko
11-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Welcome back to the R club brotha

Eddiesanders250
11-07-2005, 05:05 PM
for 700 bucks you cant go wrong. welcome back

antwon412
11-07-2005, 05:09 PM
i beleive he got for $700 LESS then the price.

not 700 otd

slamdak8782
11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
any pics

ground_zero298
11-07-2005, 07:00 PM
way better move than the shee. congrats.

Eddiesanders250
11-07-2005, 09:58 PM
O wow thats my bad, but still talking him down 700 bucks thats good man.

F2W
11-08-2005, 10:02 AM
Hey Thanks for the welcome and Yes I talked him down $700.00. Here are some pics of it I haven't done anything to it I haven't cleaned it or anything. It's up on my lift because today I'll start pulling it apart to start the rebuild. Just mild stuff or now. Plus fix the leaking base gasket and check the cylinder and piston. I did notice after I brought it home, that the left rear support for the subframe is bent and has a crack so that'll be fixed. but now it's back to work so enjoy the pics just wait till she's done. lol:D

F2W
11-08-2005, 10:05 AM
another

beerock
11-08-2005, 11:10 AM
dude that thing is close to stock, you shoudl re do it make it back to original condition i dotn think you have much work to do, you owuld have to tear the whole thing down and paint everything back to original condition but damn aside form the tires and front bumpers that bike is completely stock

p.s.

what kind of silencer is that? i thoguth it was the tool box

C41Xracer
11-08-2005, 11:14 AM
it loos lie a cobra silencer, i had one

J_bob_28
11-08-2005, 04:45 PM
get a pipe for that poor thing and wake it up

JTRtrx250r
11-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I went from a Shee to an R and would never go back, Congrats on the find, and welcome back to the Elite' clan:D :cool:

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:12 PM
More pics now that we are tearing into it. BTW it will be getting more then a pipe....

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:15 PM
another pic, this of the bent support for rear sub-frame

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:17 PM
My son working on it. He's 14...

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Pretty dirty, I'm almost (key word) gonna hate it when it's all pretty and shiny again to have to go take it for a spin in the dunes !!!! NOT

elchankoblanko
11-08-2005, 05:23 PM
That would definetly bee a good R to make all origional, just like beerock said it wouldnt take much to get it back to stock condition.

beerock
11-08-2005, 05:25 PM
where is the sub bent? i hope you dont think its bent where the shock ressie is thats suppose to be there

what i was sayin is, if you just redid all the parts on that bike it would pretty much be a OEM honda bike and you could sell it for around 5g's

then go buy a nice R

beerock
11-08-2005, 05:35 PM
nice bench btw!

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Putting it back to stock might be nice for someone else but it's just not in my nature, not for this anyway. I have one close to orignal vehicle
LOOK!!!! 1991 Z28 with 57,000 original miles.

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Here's where the sub frame is messed up it won't be as bad as I thought,

also Back to the stock thing. For what I have into this so far. I can make it really nice for a total of 5 grand and know exactly what I have. Instead of buying one for 5Gs and not knowing what I have if you know what I mean.

F2W
11-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Here's another shot.

beerock
11-08-2005, 05:55 PM
ya but you odnt hav to put 5 g's into that R to make it look new and stock again. id say at the most 1000. maybe 1500. then sell it make a couple g's and buy a cheap R again and rebuild it for you without having to pay for it lol i dunno just givin you ideas.

beerock
11-08-2005, 05:56 PM
damn thats a nasty gouge doesnt look to bent just looks like the frame buckeld a bit

F2W
11-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Oh Thanks on the bench I just got it a couple of weeks ago It makes things so sweet. It nice to be able to lift it to different heights and get to everything.

Hey Beerock I hear what you're saying. I appreciate that idea. I'm not actually going to change all that much and I will keep all the original parts that I change.

F2W
11-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Yeah it should be an easy fix, i hope by the time I'm done with it you won't be bale to tell it was even repaired. I wish i had a photo of what it looks like un bent and the measurements then it would be even easier Guess I'll just go of the other side. I wondered why the plastic sat crooked at the rear now i know why It's probably 3/8 to 1/2 inch shorter because of the buckling. Not sure what caused it but if yopu saw the left foot peg you say it might have slid into something or flipped and came down on the side, the gouge is from the chain hit it.

smoxy
11-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Not only have you found a sweet project "R", that is one wicked awsome atv lift you have! I got to get me one of those!!!

beerock
11-08-2005, 06:10 PM
honestly it doesnt look that bent. and a pic wont help much, you need another frame to look at it side to side.

beerock
11-08-2005, 06:26 PM
you better cross your fingers when its time to get the swingarm bolt out

F2W
11-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by beerock
you better cross your fingers when its time to get the swingarm bolt out

Why do you say that??

beerock
11-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by F2W
Why do you say that??

just cross your fingers when you try to remove it.:scary:

MX wannabe
11-10-2005, 09:37 AM
sorry to but in but F2W if you dont mind me asking how mch in the end did u end up paying for it...

F2W
11-10-2005, 11:21 AM
No problem, I paid $1300.00 for it

smoxy
11-10-2005, 12:34 PM
Wow! You stole that thing from him! Wish I could find a deal like that! Now tear down that motor and for heaven's sake, buy a good bilet case saver for that thing! Remember how catastrophic R's are with chains and cases! It will all start comin' back to you soon! Let us know how you are coming along!

F2W
11-10-2005, 03:43 PM
yeah I think I got a great deal. I'll be sure to install the case saver for sure and wil of course keep you posted.

F2W
11-10-2005, 08:57 PM
Hey Bee... I don't see what the big deal was taking out the swing arm I had it out in about 30 mins, and that's with phone calls smoke breaks and keeping my boys occupied tearing things down. Came apart just like it should have.

I have almost fixed the bent subframe should be finished tomorrow then on to the fun stuff lol

TheFontMaster
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Thats a nice project you got started, Even if your not going to return it to stock, I would make it look as stock as posible. If you want I can take some measurements for you off of my frame tomorow. I would section the bent area out and get some square stock to weld into it's place, and gusset it as well.

beerock
11-10-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by F2W
Hey Bee... I don't see what the big deal was taking out the swing arm I had it out in about 30 mins, and that's with phone calls smoke breaks and keeping my boys occupied tearing things down. Came apart just like it should have.

I have almost fixed the bent subframe should be finished tomorrow then on to the fun stuff lol

well hot damn bro i guess i bugged you out and you went and ripped out that swingarm bolt as soon as you could.

problem is, most of the old rusted r's swingarm bolts SEIZE and there a ***** to get out, so yes you got lucky bro...

i honestly think you should make that bike STOCK and sell it, you got it so cheap you will def make moeny on it.

JTRtrx250r
11-10-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by beerock
well hot damn bro i guess i bugged you out and you went and ripped out that swingarm bolt as soon as you could.

problem is, most of the old rusted r's swingarm bolts SEIZE and there a ***** to get out, so yes you got lucky bro...
dude speaks truth!

Glad to hear you were lucky enough that it came out:D

F2W
11-10-2005, 11:29 PM
hey bee,
it came right out man, just a little tap tap. It was also very clean looking also. So yes i guess I got lucky.

Hey Font, Measurements would be nice I'm just about finished but I haven't gotten it to look right yet so yes sir some measurements would be fantatsic. what I need is to know is how far up from the bottom before the factory bend kicks back in, and I also need to know from that point how far over to the right side upright, straight across so I get the width correct. I'm almost there but those would be the finishing touch.

thanks for the help guys....

Oh Yeah Bee! My son asked me tonight "you're not going to sell this when you're done are you?" I have no plans on selling it. Like I said before when I get finished I'll know what I have. and though it might not be completely stock it will be new if you get my meaning. BTW I sell and buy bikes and parts all day long so It's nice to keep something for myself. You should see the project my son I talking about doing.

About 4-5 months ago I bought an '87 250x from my Daycare people, It had been modded and Had a yz490 motor in it. Well the Tranny is supposely out of it so we're stripping it also, and we're going to put in a '73 CB500/4 motor in it. My son and I bought a 73 500/4 with a good motor in it for $75.00 earlier this year as a project but we're thinking of using that motor and build something to play around on. Keeps me busy lol...

More on that after we have decided whether we do it or not. If we do it I have to find him another Street bike so he can give this one up.

late
Phillip

TheFontMaster
11-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by F2W
Hey Font, Measurements would be nice I'm just about finished but I haven't gotten it to look right yet so yes sir some measurements would be fantatsic. what I need is to know is how far up from the bottom before the factory bend kicks back in, and I also need to know from that point how far over to the right side upright, straight across so I get the width correct. I'm almost there but those would be the finishing touch.

Well I got the first measurement you wanted, from the top of the frame rail it is 8 inches to the factory bend, I couldn't get the other one, the air box is in the way. But that can get you started.

F2W
11-11-2005, 03:04 PM
thanks,

Did you measure the frame as shown in the picture of did you measure down the support from the top frame??

F2W
11-12-2005, 06:27 PM
Ok I'm about 85-90% done with the repair on the left subframe support. I got a little anxious so I shot some aluminum paint on there and didn't like it so I shot it over in black. I have some fine touches to do to make it better looking but here it is so far

From This

F2W
11-12-2005, 06:28 PM
To This!!!!

F2W
11-12-2005, 06:29 PM
Back side before!!!!

F2W
11-12-2005, 06:30 PM
to back side now!!!

beerock
11-12-2005, 06:56 PM
nwo that ive seen that pic enough, it looks like the lock nut of the axle came off and the axle moved out and the chain cut the frame rail. it actually looks like it took the chain a couple of times to cut the rail ike that. I could only imagine what the rider was thinkin when he was sliding the bike out. I wonder if he eeven knew what was goin on. LOL, i bet he knew when he stopped riding or the chain finally popped off.

F2W
11-13-2005, 12:55 AM
the chain i cut off be was the original chain, The damage I think was from someting hitting it and pushing it in then the chain rubbed on it nd cut thru it while the rear suspension was moving up and down instead of the roller doing the work.

F2W
11-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Well the frame is off to get powder coating. I'm heading to Vegas in the morning for a trade show. So while I'm in Vegas for 5 days I'm dropping it off in Vegas to be media blasted and then to get powder coated and They said they'd have it done when I left town Monday afternoon. I'll post pics when I return, Full bore plastic showed up today. So I'm taking the front with me to help pick a color for the frame.

late

Snow
11-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Looks like an awesome project you have there, and you got it for a great deal. Definatly get a case saver as soon as possible. I have collected about 4 or 5 ruined left side cases over the years because I wasnt thinking and just kept buying more instead of getting a damn case saver. :rolleyes:

By the way, if you ever need some misc. parts let me know, I have 7 boxes full of 1986-89 250r ****.

F2W
11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm definetly get a case saver, and I will keep you in mind if I need anything Thanks

fugitivracing65
11-19-2005, 08:28 PM
damn bro that is a sweet bike you are going to have there. that bent subframe looked pretty bad in the pics you posted. 1300 bucks wow. i bought mine six years ago for like 2400 it only had an fmf pipe other than that it was totally stock. now it well isnt i have a ct racing 330 kit a pwr aluminum radiator with suspension to come.

blb515
11-29-2005, 08:56 PM
Any updates? I can't wait to see the finished project!!!

F2W
11-30-2005, 08:14 AM
The frame is back from powdercoating and it looks awesome. we did a charcoal metallic with a clear coat. I'm just getting back from being gone for 10 days with business and the holidays so I'm playing catch up. It will probably be at least 2 weeks before I get back started on the ATV.

Here's a picture of the Chopper line I just picked up This is our first one with 2 more coming in spring. Anyone interested lol!

250r4life
11-30-2005, 08:39 AM
how in the heck do you see with that gas tank sitting right in your face? looks like you'd have to lean to the side

F2W
11-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Dude You see just fine! remember that when you riding you look out in front of you not directly down. When I took it to calif, my friend who is about 5'9" said the same thing before he had sat on it. The Bike is so unbelievebly comfortable it's unreal.

blb515
12-15-2005, 08:42 PM
updates???

F2W
03-08-2006, 10:29 PM
ok It's been way to long but here is some updates!!!

My 250r is still on the bench. I have been just way to busy to even look at it but I'm hoping in the next few weeks to be at her again.

But tonight I just went and picked up an '87 all decked out for my nephew. I will post pics tomorrow and more details

late

toyota200x
03-09-2006, 10:03 AM
WHere are the pics?

HiperEX
03-09-2006, 11:39 AM
ahhh i want that bike:eek2:

F2W
03-19-2006, 04:54 PM
That Bike can be yours for $21,500.00 We have it on sale at the store....BTW it's brand new with only about 200 miles on it.

Now on to other things!!

Ok update... Sorry no pictures on the new 250R just been too busy.

Ok back to update on mine. I partially disassembled the engine yesterday. It looks great inside like maybe it was pretty fresh or low hours.

I'm looking for suggestions from the group. I'll tell you where I am at and what I'm thinking and I'll let you guys make your suggestions.

I'm tossed between ESR and CT for a 300+ cc kit whomever I choose I'll use their pipe/silencer.

Front end and swing are hard because of all the choices out there. I'm just not sure. It will be dune only machine. and the components will be chromed. Of course I'll be going at least 2" wider and 2-4" longer on the swing.

Axle will be durablue, I'll be going with either a clark or IMS extra capacity fuel tank. All bearing and seals will be replaced thru-out the frame and suspensions maybe new hubs possibly billet. I don't want to go over board to bad.... so go ahead make some suggestions if you are going to recommend a certain manufacture and their web link isn't in the forum's links please provide that.

let say there is a 5g spending limit. PCing of frame is already done and I have the fullbore plactics already. so lets see what you have for me....

Thanks, and oh BTW I'll try to get some pics of the other 250R soon. I have the carb off to replace the throttle cable and rejet for our altitude. Waiting for the cable to get here hopefully monday or tuesday.

late.

beerock
03-21-2006, 02:54 PM
well if its dune only i say you need +3 front end.

I mean if you really have a 5k limit

do the motor right, new crank new 89 main bearings&seals and a 330 p/v or not up to you(i would say straight 330 NO PORTING

have the cases machined for up to a 370 so when the time somes you dont have to re bore the cases.

front end i would go with a laeger tpin front end with long travel shocks if you cant drop the dough on it try getting a ball joint laeger long travel front end or walsh roll etc

whatever you do please try to match the swingarm with your front end otherwise its like putting a ford motor in a chevy or vice versa.

the swinger and a-arms are designed to work with each other and its easier for suspension makers to dial in your setup. so if you get laeger arms get a laeger swinger

i have a 1 3/4" shorter laeger swinger on my bike which makes my bike pretty unique its very easy to flick it around etc i would say go for a 88 and learn your seat position on the R it makes a big difference where you sit on it.

whatever you do please try the big bore with no porting your first BUILD

reason i say this is that esr's portwork is like a lightswitch and there are better companies for porting out there but they dont have the money to be selling cylinder kits left and right. but i do believe the esr pwoer valve set up is the best one out and easiest to maintain. but there port work is hurrendous.

when its time to rebuild the motor after 20-40hours of riding thats when you send out the motor and have someone like C leigh bore hone and port polish the cylinder.

reason i say this is so you have an understanding of what a 330 or 310 or whatever feels like when in stock form. then next rebuild youll be able to handle the power of a ported jug.

dont get me wrong im sure you can handle a wicked port job but there are things that are hard to explain about motor control etc its better to tstart like i said just IMO

last but not least....

the clark tanks are by far the best fit for the R

when i first got mine i thought it was hurrendous but over tiem and seeing other 4 gal tanks, this clark is the closest thing to a stock ext tank you will get it matches the red plastic very close

jeannie hurtado
03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Thats kool!! I got a 1986 250R, too! they r so better than a shee!!! Good job!

F2W
04-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Update......

Motor is going to CT racing tomorrow it will be getting their 350 kit nd maybe a polished cases or painted i haven't decided yet.

Still deciding on the front end and swing. Sorry I haven't gotten any pics of the new 250R we bought but it's back on the road/trail again and I got to ride it today while my nephew was taking a break. Man it was a blast, but never could get it pass 3rd because of where we were playing .. but it was fun to be on an "R" for a few minutes. we're heading to little sahara dunes in 2 weeks so I'll get a chance to ride it more then.

I have been looking for an '88 to buy, I missed out on 2 of them just in the last couple of days but I'm still looking at a couple of other ones
since we have an '86 and an '87 we have decided to get an "88 and eventually an '89 then we'll have all four years covered.... we'll see if it happens or not.

I promise I'll try and get some pictures of the '87 and even maybe the engine getting boxed up for shipping to CT....

Late......

F2W
04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
man I get too side tracked I do have the picture of the engine going to CT Racing but Of course i took it after it was in the Tub in the back of the truck. I will post it later, It's on the computer at the shop.

I spoke with Allen at CT last friday, we talked and BSed for over an hour. That man is a wealth of knowledge not to mention funny as hell. We discussed the engine, the suspension, Glamis, pismo Little Sahara. etc....

We just loaded up all the ATVs for the trip to Little Sahara, UT this weekend.

The Nephew's 250R, my Son's DVX 400, The wife's DVX 400, My 5 yr old, Predator 90, and my 2 1/2 yr old's KFX 50. And My old Trusty Grizzly 660..... Glad i have the other sport atvs to ride. Can't wait till I get my "R" done.

Here's a picture of the Nephew's 250R