PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Mega Cab?

lil400exman
11-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Hey Guys. I am looking at getting a new truck with the next 6 months.

I want a 4 door 3/4ton 4x4 diesel pickup. I like what all the mfg's are offering right now.

I have driven chevy's and Ford's and a few dodge HD quad cab. I noticed dodge has just relased this new Mega Cab and its HUGE! I like that alot since sometimes my crew will have 5 guys going at a time so I need to haul people. I also carry 3,000 gallons of water sometimes for work so I need something with some oomph. I would get a manual transmission in anyone of the trucks.

Any opinions on it? What do you all like? My chevy has been giving me problems and my fathers company trucks which are chevy too have been plauging him too. So that makes me nervous when im going to drop close to 50 grand on a pickup.:eek2:

Mechanix311
11-06-2005, 09:22 PM
me personally i would get a new mega cab diesel. gotta love that cummins reliability. Get a 6 speed for sure. I worked for dodge and saw way too many with auto tranny issues. I think any inline motor is better that a v type. Cat, detroit, cummins, etc. all these manufacturers try to use an inline 6 motor. on the rare occasion you will see a big v8 diesel but the owners will tell you they are not as good as a six. The chevys have grown on me but i have seen too many problem free miles out of my dodges.

nosliw
11-06-2005, 09:33 PM
well, i've seen HUGE cummins V12's before. i like V's just as well as I's, though.

now, if you want a gear-jammer....

forget gm. they have been having horrible problems with their dual-mass flywheel. the thing is such crap is won't even hold stock power for very long.

forget ford. 6.0L are absolute crap. i wouldn't buy one if it was 50% off.

i guess the dodge is an okay choice. i've never really been a fan of dodges quality and build, but the cummins is indestructable, and so far havent had any problems with their 6-spd. (although if i'm not mistaken, they recently switched the type of manual they use, so if there are problems they shouldnt arise for a while)

also that new dodge is so fuggin ugly, looks like a damn DAKOTA!

in short, get a GMC body, stuff a Cummins in it, and rigg up an old International Spicer 5spd manual transmission to it :cool:

or, bite the bullet, and get the uglier than crap dodge that will last you forever.

why specifically a manny tranny, though? the Allison 1000 that gm offers in their pickups is an awesome transmission, and will get the job done no matter WHAT you throw at it.

watts16
11-06-2005, 09:52 PM
my friend have a DODGE Big Horn edition truck w/6 speed . pulls 45ft race car trailer easy

Derag2
11-07-2005, 06:06 AM
Last i knew they weren;t even putting the cummins in the mega cab yet...........

I'd go with the ford.......... THe chevy crew cab it small, the dodge don't even have a crew cab its just an ex cab....... No one can argue the cummins being top dog, you gotta respect it, But im more than happy with my 7.3. If you not dead set on a brand new truck, go find yourself a crewcab shortbox with te 7.3..... I'd also get a 1ton for a little bigger brake setup if your gonna be hauling 15,000 lbs of water.....

As far as 6spds go ford and chevy use the same 6spd, The dodge has a good unit, i think the 05s or 04's they had to recall and stop the sale of every 6spd to replace some parts but all should be good now.....

i say 7.3 powerstroke with the 6spd....

nosliw
11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
they are puting the cumminGs in the new ones.

and this is not an opinion- DONT get a chevy if you want a manny tranny!

go over to thedieselplace.com , into the ZF-6 transmission section. the clutch/flywheel problems havent just been hitting a select few that are posting, they effect everyone and should not be bought until gm fixes it with a good SMF (single-mass flywheel)

660rider
11-07-2005, 08:40 PM
ya gregs right our truck can pull our trailer with the race car in it and it will be 2 cars here pretty soon and still get 20 mpg:cool:

Dave400ex
11-07-2005, 08:48 PM
I would wait and buy the 4th quarter 06 GMC Duramax with 6 speed Allison. They are going to have 360 horse and 650 foot pounds of torque stock!

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=16955

popo
11-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
I would wait and buy the 4th quarter 06 GMC Duramax with 6 speed Allison. They are going to have 360 horse and 650 foot pounds of torque stock!

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=74&docid=16955

Dealers already have them. The column shift lever incorporates an automatic/manual shift allowing you to manually change gears if needed by pressing a +or-. I drove one and it snaps your head back with the amount of TQ it has.