PDA

View Full Version : what drive chain to use?

parts eeter
11-06-2005, 09:06 PM
I have recently purchased a 400 that had a new chain sprocket kit on it and the did chain thats on it is o ring but stretches every ride and is already needing a link removed.I dont want to tear up my sprockets so I want to replace it with a heavy duty o ring chain thats bulletproof.My cousin has a Raptor and swears by RK o ring chains.Suggestions welcome and appreciated.Links to good prices appreciated also.Thank You I accidentally started this thread in the engine section.Moderators feel free to delete that.

Rich250RRacer
11-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Everybody will have their own opinion on this, but I will tell you my experience with chains. I used to swear by RK, always used the 520SO or whatever their heavy duty o-ring was. At the GNCC race at High Point four years ago, coming out of the second turn I heard a loud snap and just stopped. One link broke completely and a second was getting ready to go. This chain only had about half a season on it. The following spring at the GNCC in North Carolina I made it to the one mile marker and heard that same snap. This time one link completely broken and nine others with cracks. Only the fourth race on this one. I still have this chain to show people and let them know what I think of RK products now. Its no fun to drive 600 miles to a race and not even make a quarter of a lap. Since then I have used Regina 520ORS chains and a few DID atv chains with no problems.

parts eeter
11-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Which model DID should I use??? I have a DID o ring on mine now and it stretches terribly.Maybe its a cheaper one.A link to both of these models you prefer would be greatly appreciated.If I can get a Regina for say less than 75 bux I would go with one of them.

11-07-2005, 07:06 AM
i am running a did x ring and it needs adjusted after every ride so far...i just put it on in april or may...i thouhgt that x rings had less strectch and held the chain lube better, but i am finding different...oh well maybe next time i'll spring for sidewinders

JOEX
11-07-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by parts eeter
Which model DID should I use??? I have a DID o ring on mine now and it stretches terribly.Maybe its a cheaper one.A link to both of these models you prefer would be greatly appreciated.If I can get a Regina for say less than 75 bux I would go with one of them.
Are you sure the carrier isn't turning in the swing arm?

ss440ex
11-07-2005, 08:19 AM
I use the D.I.D. o-ring and x-ring chains.
With very little problems or adjustments.

parts eeter
11-07-2005, 11:08 AM
carrier is not moving.it is the chain.maybe i will start removing and cleaning it after every ride and soaking it in motor oil.I used to do that on my dirt bikes and rarely wore out chains.thanks guys:blah:

underpowered
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
i use the DID atv x-ring chain, very good IMO. had it for about 6 months but only adjusted it once so far, andit was only about 1 month ago.

400exrider707
11-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I tried Rocky Mountains brand (primary drive). I bought the $55 kit with an x-ring chain and front and rear steel sprockets. I put them on my EX as a cheap replacement to get me through some ice riding until I got more money by race season. Well I went all winter and then ALL of my race season and its still in great shape. I am very impressed to say the least. While I've had bad luck with other RM products I will say this was one of the better buys from them especially at that price.

bwamos
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Are you guys sure you aren't slightly overtightening your chains? When the suspension compresses, your chain looses slack. If you dont have enough slack either your chain is forced to strech, your bearings are forced to fail, or both.

I also use primary drive chains. Never had a problem with them either.

Of course I'm not running as much HP as the 450's, but I do have as much power as your average 400ex. (By average I mean your common pipe/filter setup)

tater_kamik
11-07-2005, 03:21 PM
im rocking a chain and sprockets from sidewinder. there are some reviews out there saying they are the toughest chains and sprockets you can get for your atv, but they are expensive as hell too...

parts eeter
11-07-2005, 04:58 PM
Cant afford that option.I believe those are the best though.Still hafta eat.:D

nakomis0
11-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Sidewinder non O ring.

deathman53
11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
I have a did x-ring on my crf450r quad and it stretches everytime i ride, the same chain on my atc310r doesn't stretch one bit and both make similar power. maybe the four stroke makes more torque and the two stroke spins the wheels and doesn't make the torque to the ground????

DAVE14
11-07-2005, 09:05 PM
Ive had lots of cheap 520,s & none compare to the D.I.D x ring that I switched to I hate spendin money on something your gonna thrash & beat on anyway but in the long run you get what you pay for this x ring will outlast several cheapies.