PDA

View Full Version : timing chain replacement

parts eeter
11-06-2005, 03:34 PM
I am going to replace my timing chain when i rebuil my engine.I would like to know if the chain just comes off of the bottom sprocket or do I have to break the chain to remove it.?? I am new to the fourstrokers?? I know some of you will laugh at me for asking!! Still need to know though.Second I am installing a big bore kit and a stage 2 cam.I want to use a reliable chain.Should I go OEM or aftermarket?? If aftermarket info on the preferred chain and contact info would be great!! Thanks all.:p

JOEX
11-06-2005, 05:41 PM
400ex?

No chain breaker required. Many people use a stock crf450 timing chain, it is beefier and cheaper than the stock 400ex. I don't remember what year though:ermm:

DAVE14
11-06-2005, 05:53 PM
dont break the chain u must take the side cover off to put the new one on anyway u really should buy a manual if youre gonna tear this thing apart anyway I just did a high compression 440 that is strong as hell ( use heavy studs for high comp. though) I bought a 02 crf 450 timing chain same lenghth fits fine & an extra link thicker & cheaper than aftermarket ,get a book take it apart at TDC with the timing mark aligned at the pointer in side cover inspection hole ,mark & pay attention to cam gear & cam position upon removal & check the valve adjustment article on this site take your time ask anything your not sure of & u should be fine .

parts eeter
11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Yes a manual will definitely help.I am just not familiar with this engine.So you are saying use an 02 CR 450 dirt bike timing chain in my 400 ex?? Do you know the a good place to get a cheap manual?,and a cheap place to get Honda parts?? Thanks for your time.I will only be using a 11:1 piston so I am using stock studs.If I was gonna go with a 440 or a 13:1 piston I would.I am building a pump gas motor. If the guy I had bought tghis bike from hadnt given me the big bore kit I would have probably went with stock stuff.My quad runs pretty decent as is.But with my new suspension I can ride it faster and it seems more underpowered than before.So I am glad I have the 416 kit and a cam.I have to buy a timing chain,get the cylinder bored,and buy a new drive chain,and a shock mod.I am sure this quad is gonna be lots of fun.Thanks alot.How much is this timing chain??:macho

11-06-2005, 07:29 PM
my 416 hads hd studs, and it has 10.8:1 rato. I would say scence the engine is apart why not have them installed? they are good insurance.

03pissedoff426
11-06-2005, 07:59 PM
here is a direct link for the chain and price right from servicehonda.com

crf450 cam chain (http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php?partnumber=14401-MEB-671+&getpart=1&getprice=Submit)

and check out ebay for a cheap manual

parts eeter
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks !!! I thought I was gonna be spending like 100 bux!!I noticed you have alot of kibblewhite stuff and a 450r carb.Check out my parts list and if you have any suggestions they are greatly appreciated.
wiseco .020 11:1 piston ring kit
magnum stage 2 cam
pro circuit T 4 slip on
uni filter
modified airbox lid
crf 450 timing chain(not yet but will shortly)
With these parts will my quad be worthy or am I missing some key items?? I noticed the 450 carb is used sometimes.Is this necessary for my application or only with ported motors with aftermarket rev boxes??I really want to keep the stock rev limiter and the compression low enuff for pump fuel.Please keep this in mind when suggestions are made.I really do appreciate the timing chain help!:chinese:

03pissedoff426
11-06-2005, 10:01 PM
really didn't have to get the bigger carb, but there are more benefits from it besides better air flow, like better throttle response when tuned right. I think you are making the right choices so far. beware when you go to take off the clutch basket. there is a big bolt. 27 mm I believe which holds it on. there is a key way on the shaft that the bolt is punched into. you have to make sure you bend that punch out of the key way before you try to remove the bolt. my friend shredded the threads on the crank and had to get a new crank. sucks for him, he only got a stock one off of ebay. I am currently putting a new one in mine as well, since I stretched my connecting rod from the high comp piston. good thing I'm mechanically able. good luck and take your time

parts eeter
11-07-2005, 06:36 AM
Do you mean like a locking washer behind the basket nut?? I will be able to see the edge folded up on one of the nut flats and just hammer it flat then remove nut right?? Sure dont wanna damage the crank.Thanks for the info.I will be getting a manual.

03pissedoff426
11-07-2005, 11:40 PM
yea, it's gonna be the only nut holding on your clutch basket. not the 5 little ones that hold on your presure plate and inner hub, and plates also. make sure you bend that punch out pretty good.