PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

jwick07
11-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I have a 2004 GMC Canyon 4x4 crew cab, and yesterday I was loading the quad on the trailer and left the engine running on the truck, when i got back into the truck I noticed the check engine light was on. So I shut it all down let it cool for a few minutes and the checked all the fulid levels and they were fine, air filter was clean too. So I drove to the dealer ship and asked them what could cause it because the truck only has 30,000 miles on it and runs like a damn champ. He said take off your gas cap clean it and clean around were it tightens. I did this and was good to go. Just kinda strange I thought. Also the gas cap has to be clicked three times when closing it. Just a little FYI i guess.

11-06-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by jwick07
Also the gas cap has to be clicked three times when closing it. 3 or MORE times im pretty sure. my 89 toyota pickup is like that too.

standardryder
11-06-2005, 10:36 AM
most of the time is the check engin light comes on and the truck is running fine, then its just something little like that, nothing really to worry about. but everytime it does come on it puts out a code to the computer and you can bring it to your dealer and they should have a computer that hooks to your truck and it will tell you exactly what it is. alot of subaru's have the gas cap problem to.

300exOH
11-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by jwick07
I have a 2004 GMC Canyon 4x4 crew cab, and yesterday I was loading the quad on the trailer and left the engine running on the truck, when i got back into the truck I noticed the check engine light was on. So I shut it all down let it cool for a few minutes and the checked all the fulid levels and they were fine, air filter was clean too. So I drove to the dealer ship and asked them what could cause it because the truck only has 30,000 miles on it and runs like a damn champ. He said take off your gas cap clean it and clean around were it tightens. I did this and was good to go. Just kinda strange I thought. Also the gas cap has to be clicked three times when closing it. Just a little FYI i guess.

I have a colorado(same as canyon). This is common on these trucks. Just make sure you put it on tight every time and you shouldn't have much trouble.

BTW here's a good website to check out if you have any other problems with your truck www.canyonfans.com

TheFontMaster
11-06-2005, 10:49 AM
There should be a separate light for the gas cap, I think thats just stupid that the check engine light comes on for that.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-06-2005, 11:24 AM
sometimes that light will come on and stay on because when you turn the key half way all the lights pop on, well you are suppose to wait until some of those lights go off until you start the vehicle. I dont know why you have to do that but its something i learned a while back in driver's ed :confused: