PDA

View Full Version : mint original 88 250r

250r4life
11-06-2005, 01:58 AM
well, my buddy with the mint original 250r finally broke down and went and bought an 06 yfz 450... so now he is selling his bike... its a freaking sweet bike- an 88 with the motor untouched, 100% original. he has put a new clutch into it and has brand new plastic with factory decals and everything. he has chrome dipped the stem and the axles, and it just a bad bike all around. im tempted to buy his and put my motor in it and sell my bike with is motor in it, just cuz his bike is much nicer than mine... my buddy knows tons about bikes and has taken perfect care of this one. he hangs with piped 450s on it, but just wanted somn a little faster and didnt want to take away the virginity of his 88... so if anybody has been waiting around for a super nice R to buy, this is the bike for you. it'd be great to see it go to a good owner who will continue to treat it good.. im in phoenix az, and i think he wants to get $5300 out of it, so if anybody is interested or has any more questions PM me... thanks..

250Renvy
11-06-2005, 08:56 AM
Post pics. We had this discussion about an 89 because MINT is such a subjective word. For $5300 it better be pretty spectacular.

Also, if he had to put new factory honda plastic on it, I question how MINT it really is. Does he have his old plastic, is it any good and how much?

Rich250RRacer
11-06-2005, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by 250Renvy
Post pics. We had this discussion about an 89 because MINT is such a subjective word. For $5300 it better be pretty spectacular.

Also, if he had to put new factory honda plastic on it, I question how MINT it really is. Does he have his old plastic, is it any good and how much?

I have to agree, if it's untouched 100% original, then nothing should be chrome dipped, plastic should not have been replaced, motor should not have been torn into. When you say 100% original that means this quad has everything original as it came off of the showroom floor, NOTHING should have been replaced.

Eddiesanders250
11-06-2005, 11:15 AM
yea post some pics i wanna see what she looks like.

250r4life
11-06-2005, 01:22 PM
i said the motor was 100% original, not the whole bike... the piston and cylinder are the same that came off the show room floor back in 88... this is as nice as bike thats been ridden as you'll find, anything nicer has been sitting in the garage doing nothing since 88... i think the only things that are different from showroom floow are
1) new plastics & decals, old ones were faded and race cut, wanted to go back to the original
2) has a chrome steering stem with a chrome handle bar clamp and renthals with obviously new grips, and the key and the honda instruction plate thing is gone off the handle bars as well...
3) has a K&N filter... still has the snorkel and & lid and everything, although he doestn use the lid..
4) he has an fmf pipe and a bills silencer...
5) aftermarket radiator shrouds...
6) and he chrome dipped the axles...

i know a lot of people say they have really nice bikes and are really clean but they are really crap, but i'm telling ya, this is one bad bike... ive always been amazed at how fast this thing is for just a stock engine , cuz even when mine engine was stock he would always beat me up the hill.... i dont have pics right now, its supposed to come out in the trader on tuesday, so i'll see if i can copy and past a pic from there to here... and again, this is a guy who knows what he is doing with bikes and has taken extra special care of this one...

250r4life
11-09-2005, 02:04 AM
heres the only pic i have of it

250Renvy
11-09-2005, 07:43 AM
It's pretty nice - I'm sure that has to do with the new plastics. He should get the rear fender decals and the hood too to finish it off. It may be different where you are, but I'm thinking probably $4500.

There is no doubt it is nice and as you said meticulously maintained, but to spend $5500 on an 18 year old quad when that's about the same price as a 2005 450R is kinda ridiculous. They were approx $3200 new and if he got a few years later then he probably only paid $2500.

I love the R and it's worth more in stock form, but if its been untouched for 18 years, no matter how low of hours, that thing is in need of a rebuild.

The R's are bit like a classic car. People don't buy them to drive everyday and only a handful of people will pay top dollar to own them.

MR.BIG
11-09-2005, 09:31 AM
I like the look of the 88's the best, nice bike!

250r4life
11-09-2005, 10:50 AM
ha ha, pretty nice just cuz he got new plastic? man, that thing is so clean all around. that bike is responsible for me falling in love with the 250r and owning one today. theres not a drop of oil or grease on that thing out of place, and it is just clean. when we go to the dunes, the sand doestn stick to anything on it just cuz its so clean. i'm telling ya'll, its been maticulously maintained... and that bike screams too. if ya'll don't want it thats cool, i just told my buddy i'd put a plug in on here to see if anybody is interested, cuz if ya'll are looking for a nice R (with the engine untouched), this ones for you.