PDA

View Full Version : how to hook up tether switch

bman's 02 300ex
06-20-2002, 02:45 PM
dose anyone now how to properly hook up a tether switch on a 2002 300ex ? i have tried twice. now i'm frusterated!!!!!!!!!!

thanks

Razorback
06-20-2002, 03:09 PM
here's a link describing the install for the 400. your's should be similar. maybe it will help...

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/ProDesign/

bman's 02 300ex
06-21-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by RazorbackEXRider
here's a link describing the install for the 400. your's should be similar. maybe it will help...

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/ProDesign/

thanks but i found out the hard the 400 is not the same. a friend has a 400 we tryed to do it the same . now i got wires cut and taped that didn't work. that s**ks on a brand new quad. the switch worked backwards. it started when the cord was unhooked from the kill

06-21-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by quad_freak14
Just go to www.bluetraxx.com then go to the "How To's" section and it should say "teather kill switch" click on it and it will tell you how for any quad!

that will not be right at least on a 400ex, the coil has 2 wires one goes to coil mounting bolt which is the ground. the other wire is positive juice. now if you hook up the kill switch this way it will work and some people have done it this way. but you will ground out the positive wire causing you to possibbly blow the fuse by the battery which will leave you unable to start it again.

the better way is to hook it to the black/white wire which is the kill wire from the key switch which is tied into the kill wire from the off-run-off switch also. its black with a white strip at the CDI box. I hooked it to the black/white stripe wire coming from the off-run-off switch and it works fine and there is no chance for blowing the fuse.

06-21-2002, 12:24 PM
some are still that way but the 400ex doesnt ground out the coil to kill the engine. the kill wire goes to the CDI box (blk/white stripe) when the CDI gets the kill that in turn cuts 12v+ from the coil. common sense tells you this cause the coil is already grounded so the other wire has to be positive juice. positive to a ground is a dead short which blows the fuse.