PDA

View Full Version : steering damper fitting

lee37vernon
11-05-2005, 04:30 PM
i have an old style pep steering damper , i think beerok you told me where it fits , was it running under the radiator onto one of the lower engine mounts ? if so does it need a real long bolt and spacer to set it in middle or does it having an offset bracket for stem clamp mean it can go off centre ?:confused:

lee37vernon
11-06-2005, 07:04 AM
anyone ... ???:ermm:

nacs400ex
11-06-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm curious to know if the old style PEP dampner will fit on my R. It was originally from my 400ex. However, I heard it will fit on the R too?

beerock
11-06-2005, 09:50 AM
im usually not the one to say use the search button, but this time I am. there was a recent discussion about this and i went in depth about it, and im not typin it again:p

lee37vernon
11-06-2005, 01:45 PM
beerok , i've done a search and theres nothing coming back thats relevent other than what you already told me ..

''the old pep bolts to the first FRONT motor mount on the right side of the frame and you through bolt the dampner with a plastic lock nut, a couple spacers/washers are needed to align the dampner with the stem so it doesnt cut steering down.

its the same motor mount hole the pro pegs bolt to. so your gonna need a long bolt''

i just need some clarification on which bolt ! which side are you calling the RIGHT side , from front or when sitting on it ?

also is this the lower engine mount ( or as i think you mean the front bolt for the mounting bracket ?)or the one on the head (this is where the guy who sold it to me had it but it looks wrong to me ), i cant tell properley at minute as i have not got the engine in or the mounts on , i need to know so i can go buy the fitting hardware i'll need ..:confused: :eek2:

beerock
11-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by lee37vernon
beerok , i've done a search and theres nothing coming back thats relevent other than what you already told me ..

''the old pep bolts to the first FRONT motor mount on the right side of the frame and you through bolt the dampner with a plastic lock nut, a couple spacers/washers are needed to align the dampner with the stem so it doesnt cut steering down.

its the same motor mount hole the pro pegs bolt to. so your gonna need a long bolt''

i just need some clarification on which bolt ! which side are you calling the RIGHT side , from front or when sitting on it ?

also is this the lower engine mount ( or as i think you mean the front bolt for the mounting bracket ?)or the one on the head (this is where the guy who sold it to me had it but it looks wrong to me ), i cant tell properley at minute as i have not got the engine in or the mounts on , i need to know so i can go buy the fitting hardware i'll need ..:confused: :eek2:

im talkin about sitting on the bike, right side motor mount the most forward one.

does the head stay have a mount for the steering stabilizer? if it does then you mount it on the head stay that means its a laeger head stay w stabilizer mount. that what i have.

beerock
11-06-2005, 02:40 PM
heres where my steering dampner mounts up. the laeger pro trax front end comes with a steering stem tab mounted on it just for the head stay with steering stabilizer mount. most other steering stems have the tab lower to mount it in a different location.

this was true for when i had my regular non pro trax laeger steering stem. the mount for the stabilizer is lower and i mounted it the way i described to you.

this is the pro trax set up.

lee37vernon
11-06-2005, 03:31 PM
mine doesnt as its a standard 89 frame , the guy i got this off had fab'd up his top bracket from what i can gather .. i can do this but if it'll go on the lower right front mount and sit aside the exhaust thats probably what i'll do , my head stay is freshley powdered and i dont feel like butchering it unless its a much better mounting than the lower ..
i also have std stem ..