PDA

View Full Version : cold starts, plug and battery info!!

radchad3
11-05-2005, 09:34 AM
Hi all, I have not been back to the forums in quite awhile. I do lurk when I have the time. I know I am one of many that have the cold start problems. I am planning on getting a 42 pilot jet, but I remember reading awhile back in Dirt Wheels about a spark plug that will not foul. I tried looking back in my magazine stash but cannot find it!! Anyone remember reading about it?? Or does anyone have a suggestion on spark plugs??

Also need some info about the best place to get a 400ex battery. I have a 2001 and need to get a new one. Should I get a CBR battery and if so, what is the model number etc?

Thanks everyone for their input and help!!!

Chad

PS: Setup: 2001 400ex
K and N filter
White brothers exhaust

Chino886
11-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by radchad3
Hi all, I have not been back to the forums in quite awhile. I do lurk when I have the time. I know I am one of many that have the cold start problems. I am planning on getting a 42 pilot jet, but I remember reading awhile back in Dirt Wheels about a spark plug that will not foul. I tried looking back in my magazine stash but cannot find it!! Anyone remember reading about it?? Or does anyone have a suggestion on spark plugs??

Also need some info about the best place to get a 400ex battery. I have a 2001 and need to get a new one. Should I get a CBR battery and if so, what is the model number etc?

Thanks everyone for their input and help!!!

Chad

PS: Setup: 2001 400ex
K and N filter
White brothers exhaust

Hey Chad, I have never heard of the plug that does not foul. But if you are in the market for a new battery, check out the battery out of a Hayabusa Motorcycle, it may be the same as the CBR. Call Pappy, or BK performance section, he can hook you up.

D

ccd
11-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Assuming you didn't remove the choke, I have found that if I engage the choke half way, feather the throttle slightly, she fires right up and stays running. I leave the choke on half until I feel heat starting to come off the motor. About a minute tops. Then I turn the choke full off and she's ready to go. Stock pilot, 2 1/2 turns out on the screw, 155 main jet, uni filter, punched out factory muffler, lid on box.

radchad3
11-05-2005, 02:51 PM
I wish it were just that easy!! I live in Nebraska and don't get a chance to ride as much as I would like, maybe 2 times monthly. When I try to start it, it won't fire at all, at times the battery even goes dead trying to start it!! If I put a new plug in it often will start. I have a 158 main in my carb. I thought maybe if I put a different plug in with the 42 pilot jet that it would hopefully solve this problem!! Keep the suggestions coming!! Thanks!! CHad

ccd
11-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Don't know if this applies to a stock cdi box, but here is a quote from a page I have saved: "If you have a modified CDI box, here’s a little tip. If your battery voltage is low, your 400EX may not start. It will crank over and act like it will start, but it won’t. Try charging your battery if the machine won’t fire up."
—Allen Knowles, CT Racing Here is the page link: http://www.4wheelatv.com/detail.asp?id=82 The only other thing I can think of is that when extremely cold, and if the mix is too rich, it won't fire. Then changing the plug will make it fire up. That sounds to me like it is flooding. I have had the same scenario with other machines. Not atv's, but sleds and boats. Just trying to help.:ermm:

radchad3
11-05-2005, 04:49 PM
I really appreciate they input!! I agree, when I start it, it does seem like it is flooding. Would a 42 pilot make that worse?? I will be getting a new battery here soon so hopefully that will be out of the equation. Thanks again for the input!! Chad

ccd
11-05-2005, 05:08 PM
Not sure of your mods, but even w/ my muffler punched with a uni filter, I never changed the pilot. I would say definately yes, if the 42 pilot is too much, it would make it flood and foul the plug. I am pretty sure at startup and low rpms you are on the pilot, not the main. Have you tried starting it when it's cold without using the choke at all? If it starts without the choke and doesn't with the choke, I'd say it is definately flooding. Going back to a 38 pilot may help. After conversing with you I went out and pulled the plug again on my ex. It is perfect. Tan brown. 155 main, stock pilot. Just wanted to be accurate in what I was telling you.

radchad3
11-05-2005, 06:48 PM
I actually still have the stock 38 jet in the bike. This is what confuses me. Everyone says to go with the 42, but with the 38, it seems to be a little on the rich side at start up. I actually have tried choke off, mid, and high position as well as with and without a blip of the throttle at start up. I truly do love my 400, but if I had to gripe about something it would definetely this. I had a 97 warrior and that thing would start in ANY temp after not being run for four months!! Big disappointment for me ever since I had it, (bought it new 10-2000). Thanks again for any input!! Chad

tprender
11-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Put the 42 pilot in and it will stop most of you cold starting problems. Most of the after market cdi will casue the 400 to start very hard in cold weather. During the winter, some riders will switch back to the stock cdi for starting eaise.

radchad3
11-05-2005, 07:38 PM
I sure hope so!! I do have the stock CDI box so that won't be an issue!!

Has anyone come across the plug they mentioned in Dirt Wheels a while back??

Thanks again!! Chad