PDA

View Full Version : help please

Eddiesanders250
11-04-2005, 05:06 PM
i took off my old cylinder to put on the new one and i found that on the new cylinder where the head mounts on there are not studs??? the old cylinder has studs coming out where the dome will mount. is there a posibility that the new dome will bolt on without the studs? if not how hard is it to put new studs in and can i use the ones from the old cylinder?

this is a little bit hard to explain but i tried my best...

beerock
11-04-2005, 05:40 PM
you can use the old head studs if they come out, if not go get a set of studs form a motorcycle dealership and bring the cylinder and head so you have enough thread showing once the head is on and the studs are fully screwed in..

Eddiesanders250
11-04-2005, 05:44 PM
how do you get them out

beerock
11-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Eddiesanders250
how do you get them out

a stud puller or two nuts locked against each other and then back the stud out.

Eddiesanders250
11-04-2005, 06:38 PM
ya thanks man, but I got them out before you posted this. I used the two nuts and then backed them out.

Rich250RRacer
11-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Be careful with new studs, especially with a cool head, since it appears Honda had a bad run on these at one time. I always keep a couple sets on hand and when I was reassembling a motor for a customer, I put a new set of studs in. Taking the nuts to the recommended Cool Head specs of 25 ft. pounds stretched two and broke one. After removing the bad ones and drilling out the broken one, I replaced them with three more new studs, and these began to stretch also. After fighting with these, I just went with the factory Honda spec of 22 ft lbs, and kept my fingers crossed.