PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stroke or 4 stroke

Tom Lynn
11-04-2005, 09:17 AM
I like 2 strokes. To me four strokes are like ********* every ****** has one. Not wanting an argument just a poll.

EDITED by Mofo. Dont try this again.

FourFiftyFour
11-04-2005, 09:32 AM
hmm i wonder why everyone has 4 strokes these days????? HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... they must be good or something????

11-04-2005, 09:55 AM
I like racing the fourstrokes. but when it comes time to mess around I like the 2 smoke because the power band scares the crap outa me every time.

but if I had to pic one or the other I would say fourstroke.

bradley300
11-04-2005, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
hmm i wonder why everyone has 4 strokes these days????? HMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....... they must be good or something????

or maybe its becasue the EPA pretty much pushed out 2 strokes with the emisions crap. 2 strokes are ideal for race quads, so in the 90's when no one wanted to make race quad, there werent many two strokes, by the time race quads could happen again, the EPA had already started flexxing its muscles, so now we are stuck with heavy, more complicated, more expensive four strokes.

fasterblaster09
11-04-2005, 12:25 PM
2-stroeks for my dragging,4-strokes for playing.Overall,2 stroke.

MR.BIG
11-04-2005, 12:28 PM
I think it totally depends on what type of riding you are doing. I would take a two stroke over a 4-stroke in the dunes but everywhere else I would take a 4-stroke.

400exrules
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
i like 4 strokes myself. Theirs a guy that races a banshee where i race that wears a shirt, with that saying you posted.....but theirs also like 4 guys that race worked z400's and yfz's that have shirts that say ''real motors have valves''

lol

ThumPIN_450R
11-04-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
or maybe its becasue the EPA pretty much pushed out 2 strokes with the emisions crap. 2 strokes are ideal for race quads, so in the 90's when no one wanted to make race quad, there werent many two strokes, by the time race quads could happen again, the EPA had already started flexxing its muscles, so now we are stuck with heavy, more complicated, more expensive four strokes.

is that why racers pulled stroke motors out of there 250r's and put 450 4 stroke motors inside of the frames to race before the new production quads came out? I doubt the EPA had anything to do with Kory Ellis's YZ400f when he was the first person to do this.

11-04-2005, 02:05 PM
For dirtbikes, I have a 125 2 stroke for SX and a 250f for outdoors. 125 turns better, and is lighter, 250 has more power, smoother, and faster. I have a 400ex for playing around on, and that motor seems pretty much universal. It good for MX or trails.

zedicus00
11-04-2005, 02:08 PM
power, performance, pleasure, all i need is 2-strokes.

if companys would put the R&D money into 2-strokes that they hav 4-strokes we would hav cleen running 2-strokes with more hoursepower then imageinable.

theres more then one reason why all the big companys dumped 2-strokes, it was a combination of a lot of things.

one of the reasons for dumping 2-strokes was indeed performance. but not like u think. it is easy for 2-strokes to be made faster, causing more peeple to hurt themselves and in turn sue the big corps.

money, legislation, and the epa all played there part in the demise of the 2-stroke also.

Honda TRX250ex
11-04-2005, 02:50 PM
i like four strokes for quads but 2 strokes for dirtbikes
but i love four strokes

Giz400ex
11-04-2005, 03:39 PM
I wish everything was 4-stroke, even leaf blowers!:D

660Grizz04
11-04-2005, 03:43 PM
To strokes are alot easier to work on .... but i like four stroke reliability, 2 strokes can be reliable if you treat them right thought .....

nakomis0
11-04-2005, 04:18 PM
2 Strokes wear out faster. Theres no more technology to put into them hardly. The last breakthrough was the powervalve.

4 Strokes are coming of age. They last longer, are easier to ride, have lots of torque which is great at the dunes. And keep getting better.

I love 4 strokes, for everything, I like blazing in fairly tight woods for 30 miles in Third gear. While my 2 stroke buddies hands are cramping up from all the shifting.

2 strokes are a blast to ride especially highly modded ones, but I'll keep the 4 stroke.

bwamos
11-04-2005, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
is that why racers pulled stroke motors out of there 250r's and put 450 4 stroke motors inside of the frames to race before the new production quads came out? I doubt the EPA had anything to do with Kory Ellis's YZ400f when he was the first person to do this.

Or it's because the racing organizations kept bumping up the allowable CC's on the 4-strokes, while keeping the allowable CC's and technology on the 2-strokes down, until the peak HP of the 4-stroke was able to excede the peak power of the 2-stroke.

For a long time the max CC's was 265cc (I think) for the 2's and 330cc for the 4's. After the 400ex came out, they bumped the 4's cc up to 400. Kept the 2's the same. Then they bumped it up to 450 while keeping the 2's the same.

They increased the allowable CC limit up on the 4-strokes 120cc's while not allowing an increase on the 2's.

This still wasn't quite enough to make peole give up their light, nimble, powerful R's, so they then had to ban them so that the Factory's would start racing again.

Why would honda or Yamaha sponsor a team when everyone rode the 250r's. Honda didn't need to, and Yamaha had no way to compete.

And, if the 450's are so much better than the R's then why are the R's still banned from competition? If they are not better, why not allow them? Even with the awsome leaps and bounds the new 4 strokes have obtained, I'd bet if most of the guys could, they'd break their old R's back out in a heartbeat.

The new generation of quads are close.. but they aren't quite past. In another few years, the 4's will pass them up though. But, then we'll have the new lawsuif fiasco. ATV's are becoming more mainstream again. This is good, but it also means there's more idiots on quads, and even more idiots letting small kids ride quads without supervision or saftey gear.

11-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by bradley300

Still, 4 stokes must be better, even though the epa pushed out 2 stroke quads, the 2 stroke race mx bikes are still around....and whats dominating the races....hmm....4 stroke:devil:

But anyway, i like 4 strokes better, well i never really rode a two-stroke quad expect a blaster and it didnt have a crazy powerband or anything. But like someone else said

Real motors have Valves:blah: :macho

400exrules
11-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

And, if the 450's are so much better than the R's then why are the R's still banned from competition? If they are not better, why not allow them? Even with the awsome leaps and bounds the new 4 strokes have obtained, I'd bet if most of the guys could, they'd break their old R's back out in a heartbeat.

the whole reason for that is to get factory support from honda,yamaha, suz, etc. Thats why they are only allowed to race a factory production bike.

bwamos
11-04-2005, 04:32 PM
Real motors have Valves

Bah, the youngest 250r is older than you are. ;)
Just playing.

bwamos
11-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
the whole reason for that is to get factory support from honda,yamaha, suz, etc. Thats why they are only allowed to race a factory production bike.

Exactly.
If 250r's were allowed, most would not have made the switch. It's about the $$$ not that the 4-strokes were better.

Nothing against the decision. It was the best one. Competition means better quads.

But, the old R is still king of the MX/TT track. It will be dethroned soon... but not quite yet. ;)

However, the 450's do now own the woods, imho.

11-04-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Bah, the youngest 250r is older than you are. ;)
Just playing.

all the 250r's are older than me lol

Tom TRX250R
11-04-2005, 06:35 PM
No matter what new quad/dirtbike I have ridden, I still don't get the rush and adrenaline from riding the powerband of a fourstroke vs. two stroke. You can't immitate that thrill of when it hits the pipe and just lays you back!!

The advantage to four strokes are they don't seem to wear you out as fast as two strokes, but IMO you have to be a better rider and on top of your game to stay in the meat of the powerband on a 2 stroke vs. a four stroke where you can lug it a gear down and still chug along.

I'll probably own a 2 stroke as long as they make parts for them:devil:

rockman
11-04-2005, 06:43 PM
^^^^^WORD^^^^^

onefast400ex
11-04-2005, 06:50 PM
I think both 4 and 2 strokes are fun and awesome. I have a 4 stroke but 2 strokes are fun as hell.

bradley300
11-05-2005, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R

give it a 200cc advantage, and 15 extra years of factory r and d, no wonder the four stoke is faster! the reason the four strokes came in was because the 250r is a 1980's design and they had coaxed all the power out of it they could. when the fourstrokes that were being raced were 400ex's, the 440 displacment was pretty fair in the HP department. but when the factories started building four strokes to race,the ole 250r, was too old to compete. like i said, if the 250's were never discontinued, but instead, were tweaked and modified by the factories year after year we wouldnt be seeing these four strokes now

ThumPIN_450R
11-05-2005, 01:29 PM
The CR 250 motor was available then it was pretty up to date on technology. I will admit CC for CC the two strokes are faster and that's why they have the displacement differance. All of you guys are thinking of the 250R that was built buy after market companys any ways stock for stock the original R would be no where near as close in performance as the new one is.

deathman53
11-05-2005, 04:32 PM
I'd be willing to bet that half these guys that knock 250r's never ridden one nor own one. the downslide of 2 stroke is MOSTLY because of the factory support, yes, racers used 4 stroke dirtbike motors since 98, but the majority were 2 stroke and the 350x motor swap has been around since 1987 and that was the 4 stroke solution until 99. I'm sure that racers would still be using 250r's to race if they could race a high paying class. first they banned aftermarket frames in the pro classes, then the 250r motor, therebye forcing people to use the 4 strokes and the pro-prduction class didn't help this either. Now honnestly, how many race 250r's use stock frames???not many, banning of the aftermarket frames really did it in. The decline of the r is a big conspicy by honda, yamaha, kawaski, susuki, plain and simple, so they can sell there new bikes. Honda also didn't help this by discontinuing 250r calipers, cases and motor parts. Very simply, if you don't have the parts to fix your bike, well, you are going to go and buy a bike you can get parts for, right? And racers are always replacing motors and rebuilding the other ones.
Myself, I like my crf450r motor in my quad, but my motor in my atc250r is my favorite. and I'm gonna build the motor for my 88 250r to top this one.