PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Jeep Liberty CEL

nosliw
11-03-2005, 10:15 PM
idiot light that looks like an engine came on a few days ago when leaving a restaurant and it didn't go away.

plugged the DiabloSport Predator for the DMAX into it, but didn't work. not compatible :mad:

is there anyway to tell what is going on without taking it to the dealership?

i'm guessing the only way to tell is to scan and read the codes it set, which means i need a friggin Tech2 or some ****......:grr:

i was due for an oil change about 2,000miles ago but didnt have to time, and procrastinated up until now (hell, oil was clean as a whistle when i checked it), so maybe that's just the computers little reminder to me?

any info on this would be great

300exOH
11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
If you have an autozone nearby they will pull the codes for you for free.

Mxjunkie
11-03-2005, 10:19 PM
our 2003 liberty trashed the top end, we had it rebuillt. Right before we traded it in, it had a BAD knock and it felt like it was about to go again..

crday98
11-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by nosliw
i was due for an oil change about 2,000miles ago but didnt have to time, and procrastinated up until now (hell, oil was clean as a whistle when i checked it), so maybe that's just the computers little reminder to me?

my 02 liberty never had a reminder for oil changes. the check engine light came on right after we made a deal to trade it in on an equinox. i informed the dealer(same place where we bought the jeep new) and they didn't seem too concerned about it. if memory serves me correctly, as long as the light is not flashing, it is nothing serious. if it comes on and is lit constantly, then it could be something minor. one thing to check is that your gas cap is on properly. if not, it will engage the c/e light. this happened a few times at a few full serve gas stations i went to. if t is this, it should say in your manual how to get rid of the code. i think you have to drive it a few miles with a few shut downs and start ups between.

raptorrider
11-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Libertys need the oil changed on time. Do yourself a favor and follow the schedule. The 3.7 doesnt breath well enough to go long times between oil changes.

As for the engine light, you can take it to the Zone, but dont listen to what they tell you, just get the code and PM me, I'll tell you what it means.

MR.BIG
11-04-2005, 08:13 AM
Jeep liberty=junk!

RaptorRacer45
11-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Mopar or No Car........Jeeps are 1 of the best built vehicles still in production today, but any vehicle can have problems, just cause 1 does dont mean there all junk:rolleyes:

MR.BIG
11-04-2005, 12:35 PM
I specified jeep liberty, there other stuff is good.

RaptorRacer45
11-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Alright no hard feelings......sorry i overreact when people diss on certian things, just a bad habit:D

aviator4
11-04-2005, 01:29 PM
I don't care what you say, we love our Libby, We've got an '04 Renegade and is as tough as nails.

My wife has driven it into a culvert by accident, we pulled it out with my '04 chevy 2500 4X4, she drove it home and the only damage were some scratches on the skidplates.

I do agree that you have to change the oil in 'em religeously, the 3.7 isn't tough enough to go "extra miles" between changes.

The only annoyance we've had has been the tire pressure monitors... we run the proper pressure in the tires, but those damn things are always giving us "low pressure" warnings... it's annoying.

Other than that, this thing would go just about anywhere.

nosliw
11-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by raptorrider
Libertys need the oil changed on time. Do yourself a favor and follow the schedule. The 3.7 doesnt breath well enough to go long times between oil changes.

As for the engine light, you can take it to the Zone, but dont listen to what they tell you, just get the code and PM me, I'll tell you what it means.

cool. will shucks have one? i dont even know of an autozone around me. you'll be getting a pm within the next day or two.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MR.BIG
Jeep liberty=junk! [/QUOTE

thanks for your input, ****!

bwamos
11-04-2005, 04:12 PM
idiot light that looks like an engine came on a few days ago when leaving a restaurant and it didn't go away.

Let me guess you put gas in the thing on the way to the restraunt. ;)

Push in the odometer reset button with the car off.
Hold it in.
Turn the key to on (not start).
Keep holding it.
Your dash will do a system check. Gages will start doing funny things.
Light should go away.

Odds are, you just didnt click you gas cap lid 2+ times after putting it back on. The vaccume switch in the gas tank will make your lite turn on, and then it wont turn off until you reset it.

I actually have tom make my cap click 4 times or it will occasionally do that to my 02 Wrangler Sahara.

nosliw
11-04-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

Hold it in.
Keep holding it.
Light should go away.

Odds are, you just didnt click you gas cap lid 2+ times after putting it back on. The vaccume switch in the gas tank will make your lite turn on, and then it wont turn off until you reset it.

I actually have tom make my cap click 4 times or it will occasionally do that to my 02 Wrangler Sahara.

nope just went out there and tried it. gauges did do some funny things though......what happened? :ermm:

bigbadbrad
11-04-2005, 11:06 PM
tech 2 is for gm, chyrsler's scan tool is the drbs. you could probaly find a code reader for around 50-80 bucks, about the price that a dealership charges to hook up their scan tool. It will only read and earse codes though, you wont be able to get int to the datastream or look at freeze frame info. though

crday98
11-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by bwamos

Hold it in.
Keep holding it.
Light should go away.

I actually have tom make my cap click 4 times or it will occasionally do that to my 02 Wrangler Sahara. as i stated earlier;)

crday98
11-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Jeep liberty=junk! i beg to differ!
we loved our liberty. mechanically i had no complaints at all. it handled great,rode smooth,was great in snow,had plenty of power and wasn't all that bad on gas for a suv. the only thing it lacks is space. try cramming two car seats and another child in the back.(lol)
if we didn't need a larger vehicle, we would have never gotten rid of it.

LTZ400rider
11-05-2005, 10:45 PM
try disconnecting the battery and seeing if it goes off, and see if it come back on later

bwamos
11-09-2005, 08:04 AM
nope just went out there and tried it. gauges did do some funny things though......what happened? :ermm:

It does a system test on gages and sensors. Usually if it's just a reminder engine light, or gas cap issue, it will reset your engine light. If it doesn't go away on it's own, you need to have it looked at or hook up a reader to see what the error is.

raptorrider
11-09-2005, 08:42 AM
It does a system test on gages and sensors. Usually if it's just a reminder engine light, or gas cap issue, it will reset your engine light. If it doesn't go away on it's own, you need to have it looked at or hook up a reader to see what the error is.

LOL, the engine light will go off on its own after it sees that the problem is gone, but it will store the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) in the PCM or TCM (whichever the code came from) I am an ASE Master, DiamlerChrysler Gold Certified tech. Ive never heard of anything like bwamos said. IF you can get me the P code, (the number assigned to the DTC), I'll print you out the diag procedures we use.

nosliw
11-09-2005, 01:14 PM
P 303. cylinder #3 misfire.

now i just need a degree in navigation to find the GD plugs and wires!:mad:

gas engines suck!!!

raptorrider
11-10-2005, 07:05 AM
There are no wires....coil on plug. Between the valve cover and intake you'll see the coils.....they have a 10mm nut holding them down. How many miles do you have on those plugs??

nosliw
11-10-2005, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by raptorrider
There are no wires....coil on plug. Between the valve cover and intake you'll see the coils.....they have a 10mm nut holding them down. How many miles do you have on those plugs??

never been touched at ~32,000 miles.

wtf, so i take off a 10mm nut on each one, then i can squeeze a sparkplug socket down there?

300exOH
11-10-2005, 09:46 PM
never been touched at ~32,000 miles.

wtf, so i take off a 10mm nut on each one, then i can squeeze a sparkplug socket down there?

Yes. You just remove the coil and then use a spark plug socket to remove the plug from the head.

nosliw
11-10-2005, 09:50 PM
thanks guys :D