PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Starting Trouble

rYan01400EX
11-03-2005, 09:44 PM
I have a 2001 400EX.. I got my quad home from school... The quad started when it was at school (Vocational school that is) but when I got it home, it wouldn't start for anything. I hauled it without the rear fenders... I had to stand it straight up to get it off the flatbed since I didn't have my ramps... I am thinking the plug fouled cause it won't hit at all. I have yet to pull the plug out yet, but I was just wondering if could possibly be something else.. I am gonna drain the gas incase someone put something in it.. Idiots at school can't leave anything alone.. If you have any suggestions let me know. I can do anything with one, I am a good mechanic.. Just diagnosing problems hasn't become my best feature yet. Thanks in advance.

Chino886
11-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by rYan01400EX
I have a 2001 400EX.. I got my quad home from school... The quad started when it was at school (Vocational school that is) but when I got it home, it wouldn't start for anything. I hauled it without the rear fenders... I had to stand it straight up to get it off the flatbed since I didn't have my ramps... I am thinking the plug fouled cause it won't hit at all. I have yet to pull the plug out yet, but I was just wondering if could possibly be something else.. I am gonna drain the gas incase someone put something in it.. Idiots at school can't leave anything alone.. If you have any suggestions let me know. I can do anything with one, I am a good mechanic.. Just diagnosing problems hasn't become my best feature yet. Thanks in advance.

Is it cranking? If it is try changing the plug?

11-04-2005, 08:16 AM
does it still have gas in it. when you stand it up, it ususally drains gas out of the carb.

400exstud
11-04-2005, 08:45 PM
I'll put my money on a new plug.

DAVE14
11-04-2005, 10:57 PM
check for spark & if its not spark related spray a tiny bit of ether or a little bit of gas in the intake boot of the carb ,that should start it if theres spark but if it doesnt keep runnin look at a fuel delivery problem even in an a1 top shape machine Ive had to do this because it was dry from a lack of use .

Pappy
11-04-2005, 10:59 PM
you probably soaked the air filter in gas that ran into the airbox from being stood up.

clean and dry the filter