PDA

View Full Version : Any Avid Bowhunters In Here????

stever250r
11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
Just curious how many of you other quad guys are bowhunters also.

I like quads but my real passion is bowhunting. Im in Western Kenucky and signs of the rut are starting to show. I almost hit 3 different bucks on the way home from work today. Cant wait to get in the woods this weekend. Time to tickle the rattle bag and try some estrous scent.

I got some nice pictures of bucks on my game camera this year. I will post them as soon as I get them on disk. If anyone else has any good pictures of deer.. please post them.

For those that are interested I'll continue to post what I encounter over the next 2 weeks. The smell of love is in the air...

Scott-300ex
11-03-2005, 08:43 PM
I like to bow hunt

Tonite I went out to my uncles, like a 5 minute drive, I saw a cat, then 2 does, then a racoon, then on the way back a NICE 8 point buck, a opposum, a cat and then my dad missed a stop sign. LoL

I'd be interested to see your pictures.

hotrodbelair
11-03-2005, 09:13 PM
i like to go bowhunting just never had a chance to go out. i work at a marsh all year round and now that its harvest ive been working 7 days a week sometimes a half day on sunday. but just finished up today so now i got the weekends off again so i will probaly go out then. theres this realy nice 10 pointer that i always see out shining right across the road from are place.

DeerNuts
11-04-2005, 07:30 AM
Yeah I bowhunt a lot.
Just got my 4th deer w/ a bow Oct. 5.
Had a spike at 15 yds. last sat. (cant shoot because of point rule).

Also had a nice 6 point at 45 yds. last Monday, but the shot was way to iffy to take. I rattled both the bucks in.

My friend just took a beautiful 8 point last Friday. He lives about 2 miles from me. Im not sure how to personally score a deer, but based on pictures Ive seen of other deer, it will probably score in the high 140's-- one hell of a deer for this part of PA.

All Im waiting for is a nice cold snap, and Im fairly confident Ill get a chance at a nice 8 I saw earlier in the season or maybe that six. There is no better way to take a deer, or better time of the year to be out hunting!:macho

PeeWee21
11-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Amen to bowhunting!! I love it...there no comparison between it and gun hunting! What kind of equipment do you all use? I have an 03 model Bowtech Mighty Mite.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-04-2005, 01:25 PM
i like bow hunting a lot, its just a little too warm here. i like muzzle loader and rifle hunting the most though, in northern michigan. I cant wait until november 15 opening day of shot gun season down here

hotrodbelair
11-04-2005, 01:32 PM
i cant wait for gun and muzzleloader season to start. the bow i hunt with is a renegade alpha 1 with the hind sight pain in the *** to get use too but its awsome i can shoot much better with the hind sight than i did using a peep.

stever250r
11-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Glad to see Im not alone... I Have a Mathews SQ2, and I love it.

I carry my bow during every season of the year. I just make sure I put my orange on when the gun hunters are out. I second the quote that there is no better way to take a deer. Nothing against gun hunters... I just prefer hearing and seeing the arrow hit the deer without that annoying ringing in my ears.

I actually just got back from hunting. A little windy here in KY today but I did have a small basket rack 8 point browse by my stand at 4:45. Nothing to shoot at but a joy to watch. Also encountered several does in a cut corn field that now has some winter wheat starting to come up. Way too close to rut to shoot a doe. She just might be the one that drags the big boy by my stand tomorrow.

I promise to get pictures up this weekend of a few of my trail camera shots Check back,, I got a nice 10 pt and a real wide 8 pt to show you.

Good luck to all during the rut and continue to share your stories. I enjoy it.

Steve

eldercyclerep
11-04-2005, 11:32 PM
where in western ky do you hunt i live in graves county and usually setting in the woods about every moring at sunrise. can get enough of it. I shoot a Buckmasters G2

stever250r
11-05-2005, 03:19 AM
Im in Christian County. I hunt Trigg, Todd, Christian. Its 4:30 am and Im having some coffee getting ready. Let me know what type of rut activity your starting to see in Graves county.

Pictures should be posted later today. Check back.

Steve

hawaiiansupaman
11-05-2005, 06:32 AM
bow hunting is the s*** i havnt got a chance to hunt for deer yet but back home i went every weekend for pig,goat and sheep. shot a quite a bit a sheep. but never a deer. i use a high country Z-force/Sky force hybrid bow. wouldnt mind trying for deer though. just been way to busy with work.

lilwitting
11-05-2005, 07:15 AM
i just got into it its sweet going hunting tomorrow and name what kind of bows do u guys have

bow- browning bushmaster

gyt-r450
11-05-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by lilwitting
i just got into it its sweet going hunting tomorrow and name what kind of bows do u guys have

bow- browning bushmaster

Mathews Q2XL

DaleJrFan
11-05-2005, 10:37 AM
Already killed a doe and a buck with my Hoyt. Shot Matthews for years but got a great deal on the Hoyt and I am already starting to like it better. The cam and a half is really smooth and I didnt have to buy new arrows. I am taking two weeks off at Thanksgiving to chase some muleys around north of Amarillo, TX.

stever250r
11-05-2005, 12:27 PM
The Elusive 10 pt.

stever250r
11-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Mr. Wide 8pt

stever250r
11-05-2005, 12:33 PM
Wierd nontypical.

gyt-r450
11-05-2005, 01:33 PM
nice buck! my dads down im Lamar CO hunting this weekend hasnt got one yet he had a 8 point under his stand last night, the rancher said theres a nice 12 point running around so he better wait for that bad boy

TDM713
11-05-2005, 05:25 PM
I love to bowhunt, havent harvested anything this year, all i have seen is does. i shoot a mathews switchback

T.Hopp
11-05-2005, 08:47 PM
Tagged my first one tuesday. Small eight point. Five one one side and of course three on the other.
Reflex Buckskin cam and a half.

stever250r
11-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Well, I was finally able to get close enough to close the deal on this 8pt on Thanksgiving morning. Not a huge deer, but I'll take him anyday with my bow. Just thought I would share.

Pappy
11-27-2005, 02:42 PM
very nice buck and a special trophy to be taken by bow! great job!

redlineranger
11-27-2005, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stever250r
[B]Just curious how many of you other quad guys are bowhunters also.

I like quads but my real passion is bowhunting. Im in Western Kenucky and signs of the rut are starting to show. I almost hit 3 different bucks on the way home from work today. Cant wait to get in the woods this weekend. Time to tickle the rattle bag and try some estrous scent.

dam ruttin already?.... they dont start ruttin til end of december or early january down here

stever250r
11-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Not here in KY. The early signs of the rut start to show around the last week of Oct., depending on the weather. If we get a good cold spell the bucks are running and chasing does everywhere by the 2nd week of Nov.

The buck pictured above was actually chasing a spike, that was chasing a doe on Thanksgiving morning. He had actually lost sight of the spike and doe that were about 40 yards behind my stand. All it took was a few tending grunts and he was under my tree in a flash. He actually got too close and I had to let him walk out about 20 yards so I had a decent angle on him.

Anyhow Rut in KY is normally in full swing around 2nd week of Nov.

redlineranger
11-27-2005, 04:06 PM
ohhhh i see..... down here throughtout the first month of the season your younger bucks will chase does all day(spikes, smaller 6 points etc.), but the big boys wont chase em til end of december or first of january, its different every year