PDA

View Full Version : naturally aspirated

440bigborekit
11-03-2005, 06:03 PM
is a car still naturally aspirated if it uses a hood scoop .......plese help me i got a real smart *** friend i am argueing with and we need to end this

tater_kamik
11-03-2005, 06:08 PM
is it a functional hood scoop? but yes, it is still naturally apirated

440bigborekit
11-03-2005, 06:17 PM
yes it is funcinal it is like 5 inches high its on his dads 59 malibu w/ nitrious and he thinks its natralily aspraited

NacsMXer
11-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Naturally aspirated means the engine relies on atmospheric pressure to draw in its intake charge.

Anything that has some type of blower on it, turbo, supercharger, etc is deemed to have Forced Induction. The blower essentially does all the work by forcing the intake charge into the engine for it.

MOFO
11-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Short answer - YES. A N/A motor with just a hood scoop is still N/A. Tell your smart *** friend he's wrong. :devil:

tater_kamik
11-03-2005, 06:29 PM
actually, i think he is his smart *** friend...

MOFO
11-03-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
actually, i think he is his smart *** friend...

:o ...ahhh, you could be right. I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

440bigborekit
11-03-2005, 06:42 PM
no actually dylan is the smart *** friend and belives his dad has the fastest car in the world and was telling everybody that is naturally asperiated and said it had 1100 h.p w/ nitrious and i said then its not naturally asprited but i was wrong i thought the hood scoop forced air into the intake therefor it wouldent be natrally aspirated but it isnt because it has nitrious so i was kinda right too

MOFO
11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 440bigborekit
no actually dylan is the smart *** friend and belives his dad has the fastest car in the world and was telling everybody that is naturally asperiated and said it had 1100 h.p w/ nitrious and i said then its not naturally asprited but i was wrong i thought the hood scoop forced air into the intake therefor it wouldent be natrally aspirated but it isnt because it has nitrious so i was kinda right too

No, still wrong. Running NOS on a car does not take away from the N/A status.

As explained earlier, a motor is no longer a N/A motor ONLY when a turbo or supercharger (forced induction) is being used. N/A means it sucks in its own amount of air needed to run. Using a turbo or supercharger "forces" more air than needed, however other items change to match this extra air - more fuel....etc.

tater_kamik
11-03-2005, 06:50 PM
you are right in that it forces air into the intake, and at speeds increases manifold pressure past atmospheric pressure. but, its still not considered forced induction. as for nitrous, thats a different ball game.

Butters
11-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
No, still wrong. Running NOS on a car does not take away from the N/A status.

As explained earlier, a motor is no longer a N/A motor ONLY when a turbo or supercharger (forced induction) is being used. N/A means it sucks in its own amount of air needed to run. Using a turbo or supercharger "forces" more air than needed, however other items change to match this extra air - more fuel....etc.

100% right. good info. :)

440bigborekit
11-03-2005, 07:19 PM
thanx for all the replys but i just read this and in drag racing wich the car is set up for nitrious makes it not n/a heres the artical i read please read 3rd paragraph..

A naturally-aspirated engine (NA - aspiration meaning breathing) refers to an internal combustion engine (normally petrol or diesel powered) that is neither turbocharged nor supercharged. Most automobile gasoline(petrol) engines are naturally-aspirated, though turbochargers and superchargers have enjoyed periods of success, particularly in the late 1980s and the current 2000s era. However, most road-going diesel-engined vehicles use turbochargers, because naturally-aspirated diesels generally cannot offer suitable power:weight ratios to be acceptable in the modern car market.

Air or fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinders by natural atmospheric pressure upon opening of the inlet valve or valves. The pressure within the cylinder is lowered by the action of the piston moving away from the valves (so as to expand the volume available for incoming air). In some cases the lowering of the cylinder pressure is enhanced by a combination of the speed of the exhaust gases leaving the cylinder and the closing of the exhaust valve at the appropriate time. A tuned exhaust can help with this but generally only works at a narrow range of engine speeds and hence is most useful in very high performance cars, aircraft and helicopters. Many NA engines today make use of Variable Length Intake Manifolds to harness Helmholtz Resonance, which has a mild forced induction effect but is not be considered true forced induction.

Natural aspiration gives less power than either turbo or supercharged engines of same engine displacement but is cheaper to produce and generally with better fuel efficiency. In drag racing, naturally aspirated vehicles are vehicles that do not run a blower, a turbo, nor use nitrous oxide.

Many racing series specify NA engines to limit power and speed. NASCAR, Indycar, and Formula One are all in this category. Naturally-aspirated engines have been mandated in Formula One since 1989, in order to curb the excessive powers being developed by engines with superchargers or turbochargers.

MR.BIG
11-04-2005, 08:33 AM
In simple terms if it is not supercharged or have a turbo it is naturally aspirated.

red2004 TRX450R
11-04-2005, 11:22 AM
IF it has NOS it is not naturally aspirated.
NOS injects oxygen in to the engine, thust fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinders.

BadAss03
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R
NOS injects oxygen in to the engine, thust fuel-air mixture is forced into the cylinders.

You are right and beat me to it

MR.BIG
11-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R

Yeah while the button is pushed!