PDA

View Full Version : Is this a scam. Seems Fishy

nakomis0
11-02-2005, 07:52 PM
This just seems so fishy to me that its got to be a scam. Tell me what you guys think.

I'm Selling my car locally and online and I recieved this letter from a guy who said his 'client' was interested. I gave him the stats and he has seen the pictures.

Here is the last 2 letters he sent me....

#1.
"Greetings.......
After forwarding your vehicle details to my client he has asked that you endeavour to consider the vehicle as sold now. I will be contacting him as soon as possible before he leaves the country to Brussels on a National assignment trip. He is a NATO official and represents Canada. The vehicle is meant to be shipped to Canada within three weeks due to the urgent use.He was also more concerned about the engine hopes its in good condition.

I will keep you posted on further arrangement and payment as well.

Regards,

Anthony"

Heres #2.

"DEAR,
>
>I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are runningshort of time. He has left for his trip to Brussels.
>I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle, with full interest and he has instructed me to carry on with his transaction, Hope the eugine and body is in perfect condition?
>
>
>He also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $20,000, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you, Because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque.
>So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ( car) $11,000 when payment gets to you and refund balance $9000 to the Agent ( our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs.
>
>
>After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.
>Please confirm this and forward the following informations;
>Names:
>Address:
>Phone number:
>
>
>For payment to be made and send to you as soon as possible.
>Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.
>
>
>
>Regards,
>
>
>
>Anthony"
>
>
>Here is my client's Informations that will be used on
>the Title:
>
This has to be a scam I just havent figured it out yet, any clues on where this is going?

250xridamatt
11-02-2005, 07:59 PM
I have seen quite a few people getting emails like that. It is definately a scam, I just cant remember how it works...

derekhonda
11-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Tell him if he is that interested in the car, they need to show up in person and with cash in hand. When you have the cash, then they can take the car and ship it and do whatever they want. I guess thats the only way to really find out but it sounds most definately like a scam.

Quad18star
11-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Ask him where abouts in Canada he is . Also ask who this Nato dude is .

It sounds really fishy to me though .... I wouldn't do it . Anytime someone asks you to deduct a certain amount of money from a cashiers cheque and refund the rest sounds way too fishy to me .

Tom TRX250R
11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
DEFINATELY A SCAM!! I went through this when I was in the market for a Yamaha R1, people would have an insanely low price on a R1 crotch rocket and only approved buyers would be allowed to use buy it now. Once they got several emails they would end auction and email you back saying to send cashiers check and shipping will be free from England. YEAH RIGHT!!! Like stated above tell him the only way the car leaves your sight is to have cash in hand.

nakomis0
11-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Isn't a cashiers check just like cash?

I don't know but I'm being very careful on this one. The car will not leave me until I have cash. Its actually not my car... its still the banks.... So I will have to have the money to pay the bank off first and I'm not giving anything up until then.

The Cashiers check is whats throwing me... I was anticipating him using a false Escrow service.

If anyone knows the details of the scam let me know.

BTW I do have the buyers info: name and address.

Freedogg
11-02-2005, 08:26 PM
He sends you a cashiers check witch could take up to a month to cash, and you send the car when you get the check thinking its all good, check dont cash and cars gone, DONT DO IT DONT DO IT It isnt worth the extra.

11-02-2005, 08:27 PM
i know all the details, i was involved with one and talked to the FBI in memphis about it. The nam and address you have is BULL**** and even if it is real it doesn't matter because they are out of the country. You will receive a $20,000 check from these people that is stolen from a company, at least mine was. You can then cash it and it will probably go through. You then think "okay, I have the cahsin hand now, this guy was for real". You then send him his "extra" money over in that form of money order while you still have your own money and wait for the shippers to ocme get your item. You never hear from these guys again and then a week or so later the bank will contact you to inform you the check was a FAKE!!!! you are then required to pay back all the money. good luck and I warned you

11-02-2005, 08:29 PM
and you will not lose your car, they are only interested in the cash from some of the stupid americans over here

NacsMXer
11-02-2005, 08:33 PM
Unfortunately it looks like a scam to me. I knew something was up right away when they started the letter with "Greetings". You just know something is shady when you see that :chinese: Something's a bit off with the way they talk and come across in the letters too. Too much explanation as well on the cashier's check and such; it looks all contrived :(

I got screwed out of over $200 from some chick on Ebay who sent me crap cashier's checks. Seemed like a nice person but so decieving :grr: Watch out for that Western Union BS too.

whiteflash
11-02-2005, 08:34 PM
ya its a scam, when i was trying to sell my polaris i got about 10 B.S. offers like this. i think it works like this:

they send a fake check thats clears at the bank. Then you send them back the remainder, which is really your own money. A few days later the bank figures out its fake, then you are held accountably for the money.

correct me if im wrong...

Quad18star
11-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Whats the name of the company and which province are they from?? I might be able to track it down and see if it's a legit company or not . Have they provided you with a phone number??

Some of the things said seem suspicious , but some things seem legit . If you want to play it safe , tell them to come pick up the car with cash in hand .

MOFO
11-03-2005, 04:49 AM
STOP WHAT YOUR DOING!

Do not waste any more time with this unless you are working with law enforcement to nail these guys.

100% its a scam! :mad:

Use some common sense people... they are not going to just give you extra money in a check and ask for you to send them the extra cash back.... I cant believe what some people fall for...

MOFO
11-03-2005, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by whiteflash
ya its a scam, when i was trying to sell my polaris i got about 10 B.S. offers like this. i think it works like this:

they send a fake check thats clears at the bank. Then you send them back the remainder, which is really your own money. A few days later the bank figures out its fake, then you are held accountably for the money.

correct me if im wrong...

In a nutshell, you are correct.

nakomis0
11-03-2005, 05:03 AM
Ok, I see how the scam works.... a bogus check, it clears in 1 day becuase thats the law. So sense its cleared you send the guy his money, then a week later the check bounces and the bank takes its money back and your screw'd.

Thanks for the help guys

400EXBill
11-03-2005, 06:24 AM
If it sounds fishy to you, it probably is. Tell him you want to sell it locally and you will not ship it. First one with cash in hand gets it.

http://www.fullthrottleassault.com/400exbill/misc/payup.jpg