PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 400ex

00Red400EX
06-19-2002, 10:46 PM
I just bought me a 00 400ex and I have a few questions. Im new to the whole mod your quad thing. I want performance first. Where should I start. Should I get a k&n filter or is there something better. What is jetting and piping? Sorry if the questions are dumb but I am totally new to this. Thanks for any help guys!!!

--Josh

honda 400ex 69
06-19-2002, 10:48 PM
get a pipe and a jet kit thats what i did

honda 400ex 69
06-19-2002, 10:49 PM
get the t-4
i will tell u how i like it when i put it on

VegasEx'r
06-19-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 00Red400EX
What is jetting and piping?

There are 2 jets in your carb. The pilot (or slow) jet & the main jet. There is also a needle & a mixture screw. Jetting refers to changing these components to produce more power. It is a little complicated & confusing at first, but after a while, you'll start to get the hang of it. I think there is an article in the tech section here. Piping a quad is changing the silencer, the header, or both. It's usually a good first step, along with a new filter & rejetting. On a stock quad, most exhausts will produce about the same amount of HP, but if you do other mods (like a piston, cam, port/polish, etc) then different pipes will yield different amounts of HP at different times.

00Red400EX
06-19-2002, 11:24 PM
VegasEx'r: Are there different size jets? What brand is the best. Will they hurt the reliabilty of the quad? Thanks for answering my questions!

honda 400ex 69 : Thanks for the help!

--Josh

CR125Rider
06-20-2002, 11:02 AM
I'd go for the K&N power kit, and get a pipe. The K&N power kit gives you three jets i think, each a different stage, so the more mods you do, the bigger the jet. It has a filter and pre charger and stuff, but it helps a lot. It gives instructions in it and stuff, so i'd get the power kit if anything for the first mod.

phatswinn
06-20-2002, 11:13 AM
dont get the k&n power kit just but the filter then go to your dealer and buy the jets there, as for the pipe all exept for cobra are going to give a a somewhat powergain but mostly noise, but a deeper powerfull noise, you might want to go to a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket ( i think 14's the stock right?) just whatever you do dont get the amp link there a waste of money

:Doh yea welcome to our site, lotsa new users lately:D

Ex'r Marlin
06-20-2002, 12:41 PM
No intention to bust anyones bubble, but I would look at other mods before messing with an exhaust pipe.
(skid plate, tires, shocks, etc.) I don't feel the price for an exhaust justifies the performance gain, and the noise it adds.

Note: You can purchase a K&N jet kit..... I think you may be able to get a "power up kit" by K&N which includes the filter too. From there, they will tell you what jets to use. The K&N filter is an excellent air filter which allows more air in then the stocker, but may allow some dirt particles in.:( (Something you need to make sure you maintenance it regularily)

Good luck on your new ride!!:)

00Red400EX
06-20-2002, 01:04 PM
phatswinn: What does changing the sprocket do? Thanks for all the help guys!!

--Josh

CR125Rider
06-20-2002, 02:21 PM
Changing the sprocket gives you either more low end or more top end without having to get a pipe or anything. It just gears it lower or higher. Its a cheap way to get speed or power.

Tommy 17
06-20-2002, 02:35 PM
if u go up a tooth in the front it gives u more speed but no acceleration

if u go down a tooth in the front it gives u more power and less top speed

if u go up in the rear it gives u more power and less speed

and if u go smaller in the rear it gives u more speed and less power

most people on stock 400exs go to a 14t in the front to help low end for trails....

i have a 16t front on mine bc of my motor work and the little tires (18) in the back...

00Red400EX
06-21-2002, 02:18 AM
Thanks for all the help!!

--Josh