PDA

View Full Version : 06 450er BOG?

eagertorace
11-02-2005, 07:25 PM
I have an 06 450er that bogs when you get on the throttle quick.
It's fine if you go easy or slow on the gas but if you (blip it) it will bog or have a hesitation to it. The dealer's mech. been working on it and can't get it right. The honda service rep. said that's the way the 06's was designed to run:confused:
I TOLD THEM THAT THIS IS A RACING QUAD NOT A D**N UTILITY!
They told me that there sorry that it didn't meet my aceptations.
Anyway, the mech. isn't happy with it and he's gonna see about the accelerator pump jet and some other stuff?
Has anyone had this issue with there's?
The mech. has tried everything but the accelerator pump
any suggestions? thanks

watts16
11-02-2005, 07:26 PM
my 05 did that when i first got it broke in it went away after1.5 hrs

11-02-2005, 07:28 PM
accell pump is the problem, look into buyin a boysen quickshot for the FCR carb and your problem will be fixed

eagertorace
11-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
accell pump is the problem, look into buyin a boysen quickshot for the FCR carb and your problem will be fixed

The mech. is ordering one to see if this will fix it. I hope it works!
Are you saying the factory pump is bad?
Is all of them like this? LOOKS BAD ON HONDA:(
thanks for the reply

eagertorace
11-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by exracer16
my 05 did that when i first got it broke in it went away after1.5 hrs
mine's broke in, rejetted and rejetted back to stock and still does it.

11-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by eagertorace
The mech. is ordering one to see if this will fix it. I hope it works!
Are you saying the factory pump is bad?
Is all of them like this? LOOKS BAD ON HONDA:(
thanks for the reply

All FCR carbs do this, the quick shot will fix it :macho

4ABURN
11-02-2005, 08:55 PM
My crf450 did the same thing if I gave it to much gas at to low a RPM, TO much gas not enough rpm to take it,It is just the way the beast is, the boysin may help but if the bike bogs even if the bike is reving over 3000 rpm and you give it full throttle and still bogs let me Know,but if you are lugging the motor then give it full throttle and it bogs this is normal for this carb. have had this carb on my last two crfs and they both did it, if the rpms were to low.So I put my idle at 2200 rpms, manual recomends 1900 to 2100. ( you have to be alittle more aggresive with this new engine.)

Just my 2 cents.

But if it bogs at all rpms then look into the eccell pump and a just.

KOG
11-03-2005, 06:57 AM
yea my 06 450r does the same thing i went over a lil jump and the front end went down on me good thing i wasnt hiting one of my bigger jumps

Colby@C&DRacing
11-03-2005, 08:29 AM
Install the quickshot !!!!!!! We have one on our 06 and has no hesitation nor bog.. The FCR carb has a slight design flaw in the factory accelerator pump cover.

cb450r
11-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Colby,What about the 04-05? I have the same problem with my 05 as described above. I have it re-jetted but I still have the stock pilot, would a pilot change help or is there something else I need?:confused: ?

spincr4hire
11-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
Install the quickshot !!!!!!! We have one on our 06 and has no hesitation nor bog.. The FCR carb has a slight design flaw in the factory accelerator pump cover.

do you have any in stock?

Colby@C&DRacing
11-03-2005, 12:10 PM
change the pilot the quickshot only works on a fcr carb

Colby@C&DRacing
11-03-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
do you have any in stock?

sure do $80

QuadRacer041
11-03-2005, 04:23 PM
i have an 06 and had the same problem.i put a 45 pilot jet in and it seems to be fine now.

what is this quick shot?i never heard of it. what does it do?

11-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
i have an 06 and had the same problem.i put a 45 pilot jet in and it seems to be fine now.

it fixes the design flaw for the accell pump of the FCR, giving you the much needed throttle responce increase

also, for the stock carb, the reason it does this on the 04-05 is because its a pumper carb

Lonestar_R
11-03-2005, 05:19 PM
the quick shots are all over ebay if you wanna see one....the quick shot raises the diaphram up so it contacts the rod.....instead of being away from the rod.....so that is why you get the hesitation....

eagertorace
11-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by 4ABURN
My crf450 did the same thing if I gave it to much gas at to low a RPM, TO much gas not enough rpm to take it,It is just the way the beast is, the boysin may help but if the bike bogs even if the bike is reving over 3000 rpm and you give it full throttle and still bogs let me Know,but if you are lugging the motor then give it full throttle and it bogs this is normal for this carb. have had this carb on my last two crfs and they both did it, if the rpms were to low.So I put my idle at 2200 rpms, manual recomends 1900 to 2100. ( you have to be alittle more aggresive with this new engine.)

Just my 2 cents.

But if it bogs at all rpms then look into the eccell pump and a just.

seems like it just bogs at lower rpm's. I noticed when I was more aggresive with it, staying in the higher rpms's, it run good. But there is times when you have to lug it around (woods riding) and when you jump this machine, you better be in the high rpms or you will nose dive it. Let you all know when I get mine back tomorrow. I thought all along it was jetted and adjusted wrong from the factory:o
btw, you all thing honda will pay for this quickshot and labor?

eagertorace
11-03-2005, 06:31 PM

no bog in the lower rpms either?
I may be a happier man after tomorrow:)

QuadRacer041
11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
i also have a crf and have never had this hesitation, my crf has great throtle response.

c&d, i know you said you guys raised your pilot jet up to a 45 did that make any differance for you guys?or did the quick shot fix the problem?

eagertorace
11-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
All FCR carbs do this, the quick shot will fix it :macho

NOPE, DIDN'T FIX MINE:mad:

4ABURN
11-05-2005, 10:51 AM
MY crf was rode in the woods 90% of the time. Try turning up the idle,and sliping the clutch in the tight spots and 1 tooth down in the front,No problems ran like it should. perfect.

Give it a try I think you would be very happy:D

Colby@C&DRacing
11-05-2005, 12:59 PM
We never had a bog with our 06 I just installed the quick shot for more throttle responce. As for the pilot jet It helps for cold starting and popping on deceleration.

2MuchChi450R
11-05-2005, 01:17 PM
I actually talked to the Boyesen rep at the Indy trade show earlier this year (he might have even helped design it) Anyway, he said that all the FCR carbs have a problem with their excellerator pump. The problem being it only works about 60-70% when you give your bike some throttle. Their (Boyesen's) Pump cover, like Colby said, brings the rod closer to the cover, thus less room for air in the diaphram. After the cover is installed, it works 95-100% allowing more fuel to be sprayed into the intake and less hesitation. I have one on my CRF250R and it's revs more quickly from the bottom like a 2-stroke would. Wouldn't try to sell a product we didn't test first. As for us 04-05 trx'ers, take off the air lid and fine tune the bike (mixture screw). My quad revs faster than a crf450 with no hesitation at all.

eagertorace
11-05-2005, 05:05 PM
well I've worked half of the day trying to get that bog out of mine. Colby suggested to open it up like remove the lid and baffle and rejet. I tried a 150 and 160 main and no improvements. The dealer is going to talk to a honda tech. next week to see what can be done about this. I DON'T LIKE IT.
I put one of those hand adjusting fuel screws in it today and makes it alot easier to fine tune.

Rootar
11-05-2005, 08:02 PM
dang this is pretty discouraging considering im gettign my 450 in 2 weeks i hope i dotn have problems with it

Transplant2
11-05-2005, 08:05 PM
There are plenty without problems...no worries.

eagertorace
11-05-2005, 08:05 PM

Colby, I'm running out of ideas. On your stock 06 or slightly modified, do you have your idle set high? Kinda sounds like it's too high? It would make sense if it bogs just past idle if you set it higher that it wouldn't bog? or does this make sense.

Other 06 owners that doesn't have this bog, set your idle lower and see if yours will bog. Let it idle then hammer the throttle and see what happens.
thanks

Transplant2
11-05-2005, 10:31 PM
If I stab that throttle in nuetral as fast as I can it will die...and then it's hard to start. Is this what you are talking about? When is was new and all corked up it did it more. I did turn the idle up a little. Once I am moving it doesn't do that. Further break in and the HRC kit have both helped a bit.

QuadRacer041
11-06-2005, 03:44 AM
even if it has this bog like you guys say, whats the big deal????????how often do you need to stab it like that from an idle at a stop??never!
if your riding or racing and you need to stab it your always moving so the engine will a slight load on it even if your in gear and just coasting, so the bog wouldnt happen.i dont see any instance wherte it would be a problem.if there is please explain.

tido450
11-06-2005, 11:04 AM
im pretty sure you can install a smaller leak jet, i did this on my yfz and the problem is gone. and its alot cheaoper than 80 for a quickshot

Transplant2
11-06-2005, 12:09 PM
HRC kit comes with a smaller leak jet.

quadracer041...I don't have any problems with the way mine runs...just trying to help eagertorace. No need to get so excited.

QuadRacer041
11-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Transplant2
HRC kit comes with a smaller leak jet.

quadracer041...I don't have any problems with the way mine runs...just trying to help eagertorace. No need to get so excited.

im not getting excited at all, im just trying to say i dont really see the problem even if it does have that slight bog.

Transplant2
11-06-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree that little bog in nuetral is not a problem...but I am not sure what he is refering to. Apparently it's bad enough the dealer is calling honda tech support. :confused:

Dave400ex
11-06-2005, 02:55 PM
It sounds like to me getting it opened up will help a lot. I think with a modified lid and a full exhaust/re-jet it will run better.

eagertorace
11-06-2005, 06:24 PM
If I stab that throttle in nuetral as fast as I can it will die...and then it's hard to start. Is this what you are talking about? When is was new and all corked up it did it more. I did turn the idle up a little. Once I am moving it doesn't do that. Further break in and the HRC kit have both helped a bit.

mine bogs when I'm moving, the only time it doesn't is when the rpm's are really high. It doesn't quit running though and I've also turned my idle up as well.

eagertorace
11-06-2005, 06:27 PM
even if it has this bog like you guys say, whats the big deal????????how often do you need to stab it like that from an idle at a stop??never!
if your riding or racing and you need to stab it your always moving so the engine will a slight load on it even if your in gear and just coasting, so the bog wouldnt happen.i dont see any instance wherte it would be a problem.if there is please explain.

If you rode mine (whether a racer or rec. rider) you'd notice the problem.

eagertorace
11-06-2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by tido450
im pretty sure you can install a smaller leak jet, i did this on my yfz and the problem is gone. and its alot cheaoper than 80 for a quickshot

is that the other jet behind the main jet? and what's that do?
thanks

eagertorace
11-06-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
It sounds like to me getting it opened up will help a lot. I think with a modified lid and a full exhaust/re-jet it will run better.

I took the lid off, remove the baffle and rejetted up to a 160 and no change. It ran like it had more power but that d@@n bog was still there. I'll know something this week from HONDA, it may come down to another quad:grr:

Transplant2
11-07-2005, 08:52 AM
The leak jet (bypass) works with the accl pump. It's in the bowl.

Did you check you air filter? Mine was way over oiled from factory and bogged as you described. I squished some of the oil out with paper towels and it helped. Sorry for all the problems...hopefully honda will take care of it.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-07-2005, 09:26 AM

it will always bog if you stab the gas in neutral because the motor revs freely and when you stab the gas the motor takes a huge gulp of air and becomes lean and causes the hesitation or the motor to die.

eagertorace
11-07-2005, 07:10 PM
it will always bog if you stab the gas in neutral because the motor revs freely and when you stab the gas the motor takes a huge gulp of air and becomes lean and causes the hesitation or the motor to die.

is it supposed to do this when it's moving or in gear?

atvdude
11-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Sounds like you covered everything on the intake portion of the possible problem. Think maybe it might be spark timing related or a bad rev limiter or a bad ground on the ignition coil?

eagertorace
11-09-2005, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by atvdude
Sounds like you covered everything on the intake portion of the possible problem. Think maybe it might be spark timing related or a bad rev limiter or a bad ground on the ignition coil?

man I don't know. I talked to one of our site sponsers and he said that it may be in the tps system. they had a yfz to do the same thing. still waiting from honda.

LoneRacer
11-09-2005, 05:59 AM

I just did this to mine and it fixed the problem and it cost me $5.00:D Thanks for the info Racer041

04'400ex'er
11-09-2005, 09:16 AM
so is the Boyesen Quickshot just gonna give a crisper throttle response, or will it make a noticeable difference in power throughout the powerband? Does it just help at the first blip of the throttle or constantly? Also, at magicracing it says that the Quickshot will not work on the TRX450R. but thats just for the 04'-05' models correct?

Colby@C&DRacing
11-09-2005, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
so is the Boyesen Quickshot just gonna give a crisper throttle response, or will it make a noticeable difference in power throughout the powerband? Does it just help at the first blip of the throttle or constantly? Also, at magicracing it says that the Quickshot will not work on the TRX450R. but thats just for the 04'-05' models correct?

Yea they are talking about the 04/05 carb. It does make a noticable difference it the power. One of the dirt bike mags did a test on it and said the quitshot was one of the best boltons they have ever used

iceracer65
11-09-2005, 10:25 AM
my buddies 06 had the same problems but it quit when moving. talk about dangerous at a mx track!!!

we were riding together, and almost every time he landes off a jump, it would bog or quit. not too confidence inspiring :(

HRC kit solved all but now it wont run with the airbox lid on. we are gonna may our own "HRC" lid with a jig saw ;)

eagertorace
11-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by LoneRacer
I just did this to mine and it fixed the problem and it cost me $5.00:D Thanks for the info Racer041

going up to a 45 pilot fixed yours?
taking mine to the dealer tuesday to have the honda tech. to fix it. the dealer has three models that are doing this. i believe the jetting just needs to be tweeked. also honda says that the EPA is really cutting down on this particular model, I guess that's way there're corked up from the factory. I THINK IT'S BULLSH*T!!!.

ohiomotoxer
11-11-2005, 08:06 AM
No one has mentioned adjusting the fuel screw for the days conditions.

With the full HMF system, removed backfire screen and no lid we had the bog on the bottom (2006 model).

Basic ambient setting for 55~65 degrees (todays temp) at 895 feet elev.
We set the fuel screw for the days conditions, pilot jet 45. We use the HMF needle at position 3 from the top and a 160~165 main.
*The settings will change above 65 and below 55.

The bog is greatly reduced with these settings, however I will get the Quickshot to try out because I still feel it if you really grab a hand full of throttle.

I suspect as this machine IS EPA restricted AND the accelerator pump would be in the throttle position range of the static emissions test that the factory would have to make the accelerator pump function greatly redused to pass the EPA test.

Also, I need to look at the diaphram to see how long the rivet is and see what the leak jet is and play with that and the AP travel.

THANKS EPA !!!!

Just my thoughts.

eagertorace
11-11-2005, 09:46 AM
I talked to a person that has alot of knowledge on these fcr carbs. If you stab the throttle at idle it will bog. But just past idle, there shouldn't be any hesitation at all. He said this was just how the carb was designed to work. I have the bog at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 throttle and that's a problem.

wildheer
12-23-2005, 09:08 PM
Are there any updates on the bogging issue that many of us have been experiencing? To summarize the problem, right off idle OR lugging at low RPMs in any gear, right as you apply the throttle there is a slight (at least in mine) hesitaton before it goes right. Many people are feeling this but strangely, not everyone. I called my dealer and he said they are aware of the problem but have not been able to get any info from Honda at this point. Now, i would also like to dispell the rhetoric on here downplaying this issue. THIS IS A PROBLEM!!! It shouldnt just be this way, like i have heard others say. Do these people honestly feel that a racing level sport bike should throw you on your head because you lean forward expecting power but dive forward first instead? And why would many others not experience this problem at all if it is just supposed to be that way? Why would mechs at dealerships be trying to get answers from Honda instead of just saying thats common and not an issue. My guess would be its an adjustment issue but you would think that would have been discovered by now and easily fixed. Possibly it could be in the ignition somehow but i wouldnt think so. One thing i have noticed though is at first start while it is choked, the hesitation is gone. Maybe that supports the theory that it is running too lean?? If anyone has any ACTUAL info on this please post. Many of us would like to get this behind us and enjoy our new investment. I am tired of hearing play with the jetting, turn screws, open this, close that, up the idle, get a quikshot (not that i wouldnt want one of those, but not as a fix for a factory problem), etc. I don't want to have to play with my brand new machine to fix a problem that shouldnt be there and possibly make it worse. Something is causing this problem and it shouldnt be that hard for Honda to tell everyone what it is by now. thanks in advance for any info

snono
12-24-2005, 07:56 AM
Call honda customer service. Maybe if enough people complain they will get off their arse and do something about this ridiculous issue from the factory.

eagertorace
12-24-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by snono
Call honda customer service. Maybe if enough people complain they will get off their arse and do something about this ridiculous issue from the factory.

yeah everyone that has this issue, call honda and raise h3ll with them and maybe we can get some relief. Mine is finally fixed now, with the hrc kit installed. I don't think it's right to spend the extra money to get this model to run right. And why is it that some are doing it and some not?
ONCE AGAIN, CALL HONDA AND RAISE H3LL!!!!!!!!

wildheer
12-24-2005, 12:46 PM
I have looked for the customer service number for honda and it seems to be just as mysterious as this problem. Everything i can find says go to your dealer to get solutions. There is an address to write a letter to, not even an email though, just an address to send a written letter. Almost seems like they are discouraging feedback not having an email like every other normal company, especially one as large as Honda. Anyone have the number?? i will definitley call. Hey Eager, you said the HRC fixed everything? how is it running now. Did you install it yourself? I have the HRC but have not installed it yet. I wanted it anyway, not just to fix the problem but it sounded like you had the same issues i have. I was actually hoping to find out what this problem is before even messing around with it. Wanted to make sure it was running correctly before changing anything so after the HRC is in i know that any issues after are related to the install and not pre-existing. Let me know

eagertorace
12-24-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by wildheer
I have looked for the customer service number for honda and it seems to be just as mysterious as this problem. Everything i can find says go to your dealer to get solutions. There is an address to write a letter to, not even an email though, just an address to send a written letter. Almost seems like they are discouraging feedback not having an email like every other normal company, especially one as large as Honda. Anyone have the number?? i will definitley call. Hey Eager, you said the HRC fixed everything? how is it running now. Did you install it yourself? I have the HRC but have not installed it yet. I wanted it anyway, not just to fix the problem but it sounded like you had the same issues i have. I was actually hoping to find out what this problem is before even messing around with it. Wanted to make sure it was running correctly before changing anything so after the HRC is in i know that any issues after are related to the install and not pre-existing. Let me know

Here's the # 866-784-1870 and ask for Bill. Forgot his last name.
After the hrc kit, mine is running like a BEAST. The dealer installed the kit to see if it fixed the problem, seems to me like the problem is in the carb and everything being choked up from the factory but once again not everybody has this issue. Someone needs to make a POLL and I would like to see the results. I love Honda's reliability but they've got to do something with this new model. Actually this motor has been out for a long time for the exception of the tranny and you would think Honda could do alot better for this particular model. Keep us posted

Dave400ex
12-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Eager the HRC kit took the bog away? It runs awesome with it? If so, then it does seem the problems are happening because it is to choked up.

eagertorace
12-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Eager the HRC kit took the bog away? It runs awesome with it? If so, then it does seem the problems are happening because it is to choked up.

the bog is gone and yes it runs awesome!
gotta go
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!