PDA

View Full Version : raptor....first ride impressions

4punksdad
09-24-2001, 05:16 PM
well I finally got to take a little test spin on a raptor. A guy that rides with us was kind enough to let me test her out..........the bike was all stock except for some cosmetic stuff.

I really liked it. It felt like a more powerful 400EX. It is geared WAY too high but it is seriously fast. It wheelies with a mere jab of the throttle in first gear & pulls hard through the rest of the gears. I tossed it over a few small jumps & it felt comfortable landing.

All in all it is a nice machine. It might have mechanical short comings, but it is in NO way a POS as some people have been saying. It is WAY faster than a stock 400EX, and faster than my slightly tweaked 400EX.

I lost to him one time in a drag race across a dry flat pond, then I smoked him the second time..........both runs were rider error. In the tight woods he is struggling to keep the same speed as me due to the tall gearing. As a matter of fact, he clipped a tree & pinched a sidewall to the point of puncture.

the bike is a force to be rekoned with.........do not under estimate the power this thing produces. It is fast, and it is quick.

I can't wait to ride it when his new smaller front sprocket comes in next week.........

09-24-2001, 06:54 PM
My friend at work is getting a raptor soon, want to see the two go at it.
He's a good rider, so soon as he gets use to it, I'm gonna have to run like a greased pig to stay up.
John

trx400ex
09-24-2001, 07:04 PM
He's a good rider, so soon as he gets use to it, I'm gonna have to run like a greased pig to stay up.
John

why would you do that?, just get on your 400ex, and waste him

4punksdad
09-25-2001, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
John

why would you do that?, just get on your 400ex, and waste him

trx400ex, to reply with someone's quote, simply hit the button at the lower right hand corner of their post.............saves time cutting & pasting text into your reply.

if equally experienced riders are on both a 400EX and a raptor, the raptor WILL win.

09-25-2001, 06:50 PM
The new dirt wheels mentioned the '02 raptor has changed it's gear ratio, strengthened it's rear axle, and other things. That's why I mentioned I'd have to run like a greased pig to keep up. 260 more cc's
is reality, especially when he starts to modify it. I'll just have to get a 416 kit next spring !
John

86atc250r
09-25-2001, 09:53 PM
if equally experienced riders are on both a 400EX and a raptor, the raptor WILL win.

Stock for stock, maybe a dragrace, but that's about it.

Raptor's wheelie easy because their swingarm is shorter, yes, I said shorter, than a 400EX.

I race with Raptors every race weekend. Their torque and tall gearing actually help them in the woods, their handling characteristics is what hurts them.

As far as a Raptor being like a more powerful EX, I have to disagree. I have a more powerful EX... I could go into the details, but I've already been there and done that many times, so I'll just mention that if that were the case, the cross country race results around the country would reflect it, yet they do not. Are only poor riders riding Raptors? I think not.

3-Punks, Report to the office immediately - defending Raptors and Banshee's will not be tolerated here, time for your repremand and reprogramming.

If you want a real machine that will contend with a 400EX or 250R in the woods, MX track, or just spirited riding - look toward Cannondale, not Yamaha.

Leo
09-26-2001, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by 86atc250r

3-Punks, Report to the office immediately - defending Raptors and Banshee's will not be tolerated here, time for your repremand and reprogramming.

ROFLMAO...

4punksdad
09-26-2001, 06:20 PM
:o :o :o :o :rolleyes: maybe I had just a FEW to many to drink that day.........

10-14-2001, 04:36 PM
I have two cousins, with raptors, one is stock with a 12t sprocket, and the other has a wb e-series slip on, and I was surprised that with the 12t sprocket it beats the other by about 5 bike lengths on a 1/4 mile drag. What a surprise!!! for the money the sprocket makes the bigger difference, and yes i did ride both of them. By the way they did beat my slightly modded 400 ex, one by about 5 bike lengths the other by obout 10. But the ex did have about a one wheel advantage up to about 3rd gear swithching into 4th.

Chef
10-14-2001, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
Raptor's wheelie easy because their swingarm is shorter, yes, I said shorter, than a 400EX.

I dont quite agree with this. On our raptor, when i ride it and drag race people it doesn't want to wheelie anymore than my 400 does, but my 400 is also extended a bit. anyways, on dry and somewhat moist/loamy dirt, the raptor gets the tires spinning enough that it doesnt want to wheelie, especially in the sand. it is the same in grass too. as far as just on trails, the raptor flat flies. i may be able to go as fast through tight trails on my quad, but it is close. it doesnt want to wheelie on me in the trails either

Guy400
10-14-2001, 08:26 PM
I thought the the reason that Raptor's are so easy to wheelie was the 40hp at the crank?!? :D

crday98
10-14-2001, 08:32 PM
i got beat by my first raptor(piped) today:) it was the first time i got to race one in an all out long open drag.i completely destroyed him for a 1/4 mile but then the top speed advantage got a hold of me about a 1/2 mile.i still have the power where it counts:D they are both awsem quads though:)

The400exExorcist
10-15-2001, 04:01 PM
so if I have 16/35 gearing do you think I could beat one?

JabberJaw
10-16-2001, 10:59 AM
I think I am going to get a second impression!

The400exExorcist
10-16-2001, 04:02 PM
I'll have my 440 back from the shop soon and have to finish breaking in the new piston, I only have like an hour on it. I have a friend with a K&N filter,Wb e-series. I will race him in an open drag and let you know what happens......all i can say is that I know it will be Verrrrrrrrrry close(I have a sticker that says "raptor slayer" and if I beat him i'll stick it right on the front of my quad right in front of his face!) Oh yeah how long do you guys recommend I go "very easy" on this piston......I haven't gone past 1/4 throttle in 1st and 2nd gears.:D :D :D :macho

WyoDuner
10-16-2001, 07:56 PM
3punksdad, thanks for the report.

Saying that on here is like walking into the middle of Afghanistan dressed in an American flag.