PDA

View Full Version : Dg skids Are junk!!!

DEAL
06-19-2002, 10:35 PM
I have a full set of Dg skids on my 400ex, The belly pan vibrates like crazy, and now the swingarm skid plate has a huge crack in it. I also notice than when riding hard rocks get caught between the disc and skid and make some strange noises.
Does anyone else have problems with their Dg Skids?

harebounder
06-19-2002, 10:40 PM
My swing arm guard is DG. It bends i usally bend it back. I had a friend already weld it for me. What i have heard and seen PRM are real good. When this one finally takes a **** i am going to get one of those.

cdalejef
06-20-2002, 02:10 AM
I have yet to bend or crack my PRM skid! Will probally be the last skid plate you will ever buy!:cool:

DEAL
06-20-2002, 06:58 AM
That looks like what I'm going to have to buy.

nuttynewt
06-20-2002, 09:48 AM
I've never seen anything DG that I was impressed with. Junk...
Go PRM. The only thing of theirs I ever broke was a bumper, and it did its job well considering I smacked a tree hard enough to bend my frame.

Dave400ex
06-20-2002, 10:54 AM
We had PRM on our Warrior and they were Awesome. I think when my AC is trash I will get a Pro Armor Skid. That thing is Huge.

Ex'r Marlin
06-20-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Does anyone else have problems with their Dg Skids?
I had them both on my 300 and 400. I guess you can call it problems when they break their welds and fall apart on you, and especially comparing them against the PRM aluminum skid plates. PRM are a huge improvement over the DG's. :)

Sorry to hear you went through what I went through.... Hopefully you will have good luck with your next skid plate!!

400exRacerX
06-20-2002, 01:28 PM
Yeah I had several DG products, I had the belly skid that vibrated like crazy and I had there nerfs they crack off, i welded it and it completely cracked. So I wonder why I have ac propegs and a ac belly skid now?? AC or PRM is way better. I would suggest prm for trails and AC for mx (for the belly skid)

Tommy 17
06-20-2002, 01:45 PM
dg rear skid plates also lower the ground clearance in the back pretty much... they are junk! all dg is junk!

NJ300ex
06-20-2002, 02:39 PM
PRM or Protect are the way to go.

Jeff, Nothing is unbreakable. I bent the crap out of my brand new protect swingarm skid the first ride out on it. It did definitely take a beating however.

Zero Z400
06-20-2002, 04:17 PM
Is the Pro-tec steel swingarm skid worth $145? I don't wanna bend my sprocket or rotor. How much is the PRM swingarm skid?

Later

Ex'r Marlin
06-20-2002, 04:25 PM
For the money, I think PRM is worth their price, which, correct me if I am wrong, is almost half the price of the Pro-Tect stainless steel skid plate.

Note: I really like the design of both skid plates, but I would say that I like the Pro-Tect over the PRM. My personal choice. But I don't think it justifies the price. If you are very hard on your skid plates, I would think the stainless steel skid plate might be a wise investment. The PRM is a lot lighter, cheaper, and holds up very well.... But it will bend.

NJ300ex (Mike) bent his Pro-Tect going over some major rocks at high speeds. (He has no fear at high speeds.... but it did cause him to bend his brand new Pro-Tect skid plate):(

ride300exred
06-20-2002, 04:54 PM
Dg is not a performance product they are a CHEAP replacement .
Everything of theirs are junk .
The only thing i liked what the bumper that was strong as heck ,
I got hit by another quad head on the bumper gave a little but took all the shock out of the hit and the other guys quad was screwed.
For a skid plate I will buy a Armadillo they are the thickest aluminum skid plate and are strong as anything out there , My friend has one and he has hit some big rocks .
I would reccomend them to anyone .
my 2 cents
Kris

NJ300ex
06-20-2002, 07:24 PM
Marlin, you didn't see how much I actually bent it. I bent that whole middle plate. I didn't really bend the rotor and chain protector things it was mostly the main section of flat metal.

MEL
06-20-2002, 08:10 PM
for the price i'm going to buy a prm next.pro tects are nice but real expense and heavy. my friend prm has held up great while another friend has had to repair his pro tect several times.

harebounder
06-21-2002, 03:36 PM
I have the baja swing arm skid and after some tracks i have to bend it back and i even try my hardest to miss what i think i might catch.

NJ300ex
06-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Pro tect would be better if they added some more gussets and added some more welding to the skid. I hope they change their design soon or add me to thier r&d team.

Where are you getting the price of $145 for the pro tect from? i got mine for $110 or something like that.

Also i think Marlin was the one who did it but the pro tect only wieghs a pound more than the PRM. Not enough to be able to tell a difference i think.

Zero Z400
06-21-2002, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by NJ300ex
Where are you getting the price of $145 for the pro tect from? Thats what it said on their site...The homepage says they have stuff for the Z.

Later

06-21-2002, 08:33 PM
read my post here http://209.120.142.52/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19175

Punk13rym
06-21-2002, 08:49 PM
the DG nerfs on my friends 400 bend really easy too. im going to get ac nerfs. good thing to know i'll have ot buy RPM skids thanks guys.

TRFOXX
06-21-2002, 09:46 PM
Well I like my DG Baja's belly skid just make sure youput Lock Tight on the threads before you crank them down Tight, You should'nt have any problem with them, I've had mine on now for a year and its in good shape. I have DG frame guards that I really like also, after having my frame podercoated I needed to protect it and i liked them the best very durable. So whatever. :huh

06-22-2002, 10:59 PM
dg=expensive crap

06-22-2002, 11:38 PM
prm/pro-tec/armidillo = expensive good stuff

muff
06-23-2002, 06:48 PM
i've got a dg rear skid plate and bumper on my 300ex and I really like how they have held up, the a-arm skid plates on the other hand really suck, the brackets that hold them on are designed poorly, most dont even reach over the a-arm
and my kromelite nerf bars are horrible to, the tabs kept getting bent off and they bent real easy

06-24-2002, 07:12 AM
I've put alot of research into this whole skid plate issue. I've tried everything including PRM's And I've had no luck. A friend and I purchased Prm bumpers/ skid plates and they both pre-maturely cracked in the same spots. I just happen to come across a local place here in cleveland that makes LIFETIME WARRANTY Skidplates,
Air Scoops (similar to OMF) , and other aluminum products for ATVs.

P.S. And I bought them factory direct so They were like 3/4 of the price of DG or PRM:D :D :D

muff
06-24-2002, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Fullbore440
I just happen to come across a local place here in cleveland that makes LIFETIME WARRANT Skidplates,
Air Scoops (similar to OMF) , and other aluminum products for ATVs.

P.S. And I bought them factory direct so They were like 3/4 of the price of DG or PRM:D :D :D

What was the name of the company? Do you have their phone number?

12gofast
06-24-2002, 09:42 PM
Check out the AC stuff...
I have run AC components all year and I usually practice an hour or more a day on some serious practice tracks....all being cross country no mx stuff...so these things take a beating. Everything has held up to expectation.

You have to remember these components...bumpers, skids, nerfs are built to absorb the abuse and protect your equipment....dont expect them to last forever.

Check out the AC HEAVY DUTY swingarm skid for rough terrain.

My riding/racing partner runs PRM and it holds up great and swears by it.....the PRM Summit bumper is pretty awesome

Duner21
01-15-2003, 02:35 PM
I have had nothing but good luck with my PRM products. Everything has held up really well, plus they look good.

PRM is the way to go.

OutlawEX
01-15-2003, 03:56 PM
In my opnion DG is junk period:grr

01TRX300EX
01-15-2003, 06:28 PM
I have the DG Baja center skid, it has worked fine. The only problems I have had are with the bolts, otherwise, its been through a lot and is still doing good.

Mitch400EX
01-15-2003, 11:03 PM
DG Nerfs are the only DG product I've had, and they were crap. They bent very fast, and the U-bolts that secured them in the front were a joke.
I wouldn't trust any of their other products.

Dale512
01-16-2003, 02:22 PM
DG stands for Dollar General

I had a Armadillo Swing-arm skid on my DS & it was extremely tuff

redroost85
01-16-2003, 05:05 PM
I have a DG skid plate and it has held up to a few good cases from some jumps. To counteract the rattle everyone on here talks about, I got some truck cap liner (this is the stuff you put on the rails of your bed before you put the cap over the bed. It is sticky on one side and non-stick foam on the other side) I put the sticky side along the bottom of the frame rails of the quad then bolted the plate in. Every now and then, I have to replace a section of foam due to the fact that I crank my plate on tight. My plate doesn't make a sound.

honda400exrider
01-16-2003, 06:00 PM
my extreme fabrication sucks donkey balls too, dont buy it ever! ...trash...

killed300ex
01-16-2003, 07:44 PM
how much is the prm swing arm skid i can get the armidilo for 65 i think if i remember right and i need to buy one befoer spring the stock one is crap and right now im nbot runing a skid lol
but im just riging on the driveway thorugh like 2 ft of snow. So how much are the prm skids?
kiled

Duner21
01-16-2003, 07:57 PM
$89.95 for swing arm.......$84.95 for belly.......$56.95 for a-arm skids.

Dave400ex
01-16-2003, 08:17 PM
Call C&D or the Quadshop they will hook you up!