PDA

View Full Version : 400ex Smoking, not too much oil!

EXracer83
11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
I took the choke out and gutted the welds on the head pipes and ever since I did that it has a light blue smoke coming from the exhaust. I didn't put the 42 pilot jet in it or rejet anything yet. It was stupid to do I know but everyone was going riding for a couple hours so I went ahead and took off with them. I was just wondering if not re jetting and using the 42 pilot would cause this? Thanks for any help.

coryatver
11-02-2005, 03:14 PM
The pilot jet is just for idle so i dont' know if changing that would do much other than help it start easier.

EXracer83
11-02-2005, 04:40 PM
Yea I know, I guess I need to clear up I know about all the parts and stuff I am mechanically inclined been around 4 wheelers and other small engine work all my life, I'm 15 though so I ain't a expert lol. I just haven't fully understood carbs and all that stuff yet but thanks coryatver I know you were trying to help. I just listed what I didn't do to make sure I didn't leave nothing out. but again thanks anyway.

2004exrider
11-06-2005, 11:05 AM
im just going to throw something out there, might be right might be extremely wrong.
When you took the exhaust off, did you put on new crush gaskets or use the same ones? If you used the same ones maybe its over heating from an exhaust leak at the header. That could quite possibly done something to it to make it start smoking. Maybe burned up an exhaust valve(s) and its leaking oil thru it, Might just be running so hot that your oil is breaking down and getting burnt?

Jimmy

weylin70
11-06-2005, 04:42 PM
My neighbor's quad had the same problem. We replaced the spark plug and haven't had any problems since. Good luck.

troutman561
11-06-2005, 05:31 PM
my recently had the mystery smoke problem, but i had to much oil and i was in 2nd gear for 3 hrs in hot weather so u may just have had the engine get to hot..

EXracer83
11-06-2005, 06:36 PM
It is the stock header on it, but yes I left the gaskets in there didn't pay them no attention. It wasn't really running hot when it started it was doing it right when I got it warmed up but it stil may be the cause. I am going to try the sparkplug thing and if that doesn't work I am ordering a new exhaust gasket. Thanks all yall for the help, much appreciated!

Knarf0486
11-07-2005, 03:11 PM
any updates on it, im interested in seeing what caused it

EXracer83
11-07-2005, 05:47 PM
No it will probably be sometime before the weekend. We are concentrating on my racecar right now for the most part got a championship to go to then its time to start riding again.