PDA

View Full Version : i have a question i just bought a bike

300ex97
11-02-2005, 12:12 PM
i just got a 300ex 2 months ago i have to change the throttle cable its a pain is there a easy way to do this plu si wanan know a good price on plastic it has purple maier on it now i wanan get rid of it

i would also like to know my engine has baked on mud and **** i was wondering is there anything i can us to clean it

300ex97
11-02-2005, 12:15 PM
i was also wondering how to fender mount my ignition

300exOH
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
It may be easier to change the throttle cable if you take the front plastic and tank off. New maier would be the cheapest way to go for the 300. All you have to do for the ignition is drill a hole the same size as the ignition and use a file to add a notch for the tab. You can put it on the right in the upper trim ring. You can drill 2 1/2" holes on the opposite side for the reverse/neutral lights. You just nee a small flat screwdriver to pry the red and green covers off the lights and push the rubber part through the hole and pop the covers back on.

you can see my ignition below the bars

300ex97
11-02-2005, 06:52 PM
ok i get the mounting the ignitiong i dont have to worry abotu neutral light and stuff iam goan keep my head light cause buddy before me banged it up so it was just hooked to a piece of metal and zip tied but if i wount that to my plastic is it going to turn in the plastic when i turn the key, i mean like will the whole ignition spin(img)EXleft(img)

300exOH
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by 300ex97
ok i get the mounting the ignitiong i dont have to worry abotu neutral light and stuff iam goan keep my head light cause buddy before me banged it up so it was just hooked to a piece of metal and zip tied but if i wount that to my plastic is it going to turn in the plastic when i turn the key, i mean like will the whole ignition spin(img)EXleft(img)

To keep the ignition from turning you can cut a small groove(keyway) in the plastic for the tab on the ignition to sit into. The hole will look like this:

300ex97
11-03-2005, 04:46 AM
ok thanx i will try that maybe tomorrow after i get my throttle cable hooked up but do u know of any cleaner to take the muddy color off an engine

300exOH
11-03-2005, 08:37 AM
ok thanx i will try that maybe tomorrow after i get my throttle cable hooked up but do u know of any cleaner to take the muddy color off an engine

sos pad and a lot of elbow grease will work.

Sjorge450R
11-03-2005, 08:55 AM
engine degreaser :D I use it and the engine looks like new everytime.

300ex97
11-03-2005, 10:23 AM
the sos pad sounds good but i need to know how to get in between the fins that is the worst area

300exOH
11-03-2005, 11:09 AM
the sos pad sounds good but i need to know how to get in between the fins that is the worst area

try wrapping the sos pad around a paint stir stick

300ex97
11-03-2005, 06:55 PM
yeah i was looking at the bike today i got the whole thing all apart. I looked at it and there is a little bit of oil around the top of the engine i mean the very top it isnt a head gasket but i unno what it could be, seems to be coming from a bolt i also bought engine degreaser and iam gonna try the sos pad thing, i also went to put the cable in but it turns out i was sold the wrong cable so i went to the honda shop and they are having it flew in so it will be here tomorrow. I also bought some 909 grips i figured for 20 buck even not too shabby for brand new

300exOH
11-03-2005, 09:49 PM
Might want to take care of that oil leak before you prety up the engine. What bolt is it coming from?

300exOH
11-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
engine degreaser :D I use it and the engine looks like new everytime.

Be careful using that around rubber parts and wiring. I worked as a detailer at an auto shop and it can cause probs.

300ex97
11-04-2005, 04:39 AM
i dont have a clue its on the dead top of the engine.

oh and its turns out the keyway on my ignition is like almost all worn off iam gonn atry to glue a piece to it

300exOH
11-04-2005, 08:34 AM
i dont have a clue its on the dead top of the engine.

oh and its turns out the keyway on my ignition is like almost all worn off iam gonn atry to glue a piece to it

Sounds like it could be your rocker arm inspection covers. You may just need a new seal. You could even use a little high temp silicone to seal it up.

300ex97
11-05-2005, 06:05 AM
ok i got my throttle cable on yesterday an dits all back together but its right stiff there is no knotts in it so i dont what what it is i was jus twondering waht it might be iam gonna spray some silicon spray down the cable maybe that will help. i had to take sand paper to the engine to get it clean brake cleaner i tried it did absolutly nothing so i will continue with the sand paper untill its finished