PDA

View Full Version : Why do ATV's get such bad press?

aviator4
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
Seems like everytime I hear ATV's menitioned on the local news, it's always about some kid getting himself killed on one. BUT, they don't cover every motorcycle accident, or skateboarding accident or whatever.

So why does the media have it in for our sport? I don't get it. It seems unfair.If I knew of a way to battle it, I would. I'm sick of our sport getting such a bad name.

wilkin250r
11-02-2005, 11:06 AM
The more I ride, the more I firmly believe that ATVs are inherently dangerous. More so than cars or motorcycles.

Sorry, it's the truth.

aviator4
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
True, they are, but even the manufactureres make that CRYSTAL clear, all you have to do is read the warning labels on the fenders to get a general idea that it can be dangerous.

Do you think they are more dangerous than, say a MX motorcycle? I have no experience on motorcycles, but seems like they are close to being in the same category as an ATV. What do you think?

wilkin250r
11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
No, I honestly think they are more dangerous than a motorcycle.

Think about it. Would any parent give their 12yr old the keys to the car, and let them go drive on their own? Of course not, they know that cars are dangerous, because they are familiar with cars, they drive every day.

A motorcycle is unstable at low speeds, conveniently the speeds that most beginners start. Right away, the motorcycle feels dangerous, and thus it commands respect. People immediatly recognize it as dangerous, and take proper precautions. And it takes time to develop the skill required for higher speeds.

An ATV is the exact opposite. It feels very stable, so people don't immediately recognize it as dangerous, which is where the true danger lies. It feels safe, so people assume it is safe, and don't take proper precautions. They quickly progress to higher speeds before they learn the proper skill to handle the quad at higher speeds, and that's where people get hurt.

If ATVs automatically felt and dangerous as the truly are, like a motorcycle, there wouldn't be nearly as many accidents.

Scro
11-02-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

A motorcycle is unstable at low speeds, conveniently the speeds that most beginners start. Right away, the motorcycle feels dangerous, and thus it commands respect. People immediatly recognize it as dangerous, and take proper precautions. And it takes time to develop the skill required for higher speeds.

An ATV is the exact opposite. It feels very stable, so people don't immediately recognize it as dangerous, which is where the true danger lies. It feels safe, so people assume it is safe, and don't take proper precautions. They quickly progress to higher speeds before they learn the proper skill to handle the quad at higher speeds, and that's where people get hurt.

If ATVs automatically felt and dangerous as the truly are, like a motorcycle, there wouldn't be nearly as many accidents.

well said:macho

300exOH
11-02-2005, 11:32 AM

Think about it. Would any parent give their 12yr old the keys to the car, and let them go drive on their own? Of course not, they know that cars are dangerous, because they are familiar with cars, they drive every day.

I do agree but I think if more people were well educated before they ride this wouldn't be the case. I've ridden quads and bikes offroad and I've had the bike want to get away from me before the quad. Especially in ruts.:ermm:

aviator4
11-02-2005, 11:33 AM
Good point, I didn' think about it like that.

I still say that ATV's get an undue amount of bad press though. Seems like everyone is blaming the ATV for taking a life.. it's like the old "gun's don't kill people... people kill people" addage... the ATV didn't hurt anyone.. it was the dork riding it.

The reporters always say "he was riding an ATV... and he was killed" - It's never "He was reckless (or irresponsible) on his ATV, and he died..")

know what I mean?

FourFiftyFour
11-02-2005, 11:35 AM
they are dangerous.

But most people dont understand our love for the sport. They just call us crazy idiots who like riding on dirt tracks.

tacundra
11-02-2005, 11:37 AM
I agree with wilkin that an ATV "feels" safer to a beginner.

However, having been a motorcycle/atv claims adjuster for the past 5 years, I KNOW the ratio of riders to accidents is much higher with motorcycles. We should not forget how many people are out there with wheelers that act responsibly.

The media had it in for ATV's since they came out. I doubt we will be able to change that.

Also, lets think for a second how many children/individuals are hurt and mamed while playing team sports(ie. football).

You never hear bad press about this, conversly, all you hear is "We hope to see so & so back on the field soon".

wilkin250r
11-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, yeah, they get bad press. So do guns, and so does fast food. Fast food doesn't make you fat, it's the idiots shoveling it into their yap that makes them fat.

That's the world we live in. Honestly, the only REAL problem is lack of opposition. The NRA is fighting to keep guns from being outlawed, and they have the Repuplicans backing them up, and the Second Amendment on their side. They have a large, cohesive force providing opposition.

What do we have? Nothing. For crying out loud, the dirbikers hate the ATVs and vice versa, we can't even get ourselves organized to provide opposition.

aviator4
11-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I don't know about where you live, but down here in Oklahoma, the Dirtbikers don't hate the ATV'ers at all. If anything it's the opposite. I spend lots of time at my local tracks playing around, the MX guys are always nice to me, and vice versa. I've worked on their stuff for 'em and they've helped me with stuff too.

I am sure that there are those that don't feel that way, but I don't think I've ever directly experienced it.

Most of the MX clubs around here welcome ATV'ers with open arms. most of them have dedicated races where the MX'ers monitor the track for the ATV guys and then they switch out. Seems to be a harmonious relationship.

I've pulled my fair share of bikes out of the "crud" with a quad.

Hondadudeehhhh
11-02-2005, 01:23 PM
baised on seeing how dumb half the kids on this forum are, i now understand why there are so many atv accidents. :ermm:

400exrules
11-02-2005, 01:26 PM
cuz some people cant ride

400exrules
11-02-2005, 01:31 PM

yah thats true, i rode an xr200 a few months ago and it was kinda weird cuz i wasnt used to it, but i rode my friends yz125 the other day, and it scared the sh^t outta me.....probably because of the twist throttle because i felt like i had no control at all

Quad18star
11-02-2005, 01:38 PM
ATVers are getting such bad press , because more and more ATVs are being sold ... they are becomming more popular .

Sledders had to deal with the same thing in the mid 80s until early 90s when sledding was at an all-time high . The price of insurance on sleds skyrocketed because there were so many accident and people getting killed . Organizations started compaigns to raise awarness about the safe use of sleds , provided manditory training courses for those that didn't have their license , etc . I see this happening in the very near future with ATVs . We are a relatively new sport and a lot of people don't know the hazards until they are wrapped around a tree without their helmet .

Drinking and Riding was a very BIG problem with sleds at their peak point in the sport . I already see it happening with ATVs . I've been to a few Mud Runs , and the guys are having a beer or two at every stop . By the time they get to the end of the trail ... most of the guys are half in the bag .

It's sad to say , but we've just seen the beginning of what's going to be a LONG battle to gain respect and good press out there .

MR.BIG
11-02-2005, 01:53 PM
I started out on a 1985 200s three wheeler. They didn't feel stable so why was there so many accidents on them which led to them being banned, it's simple. Everybody that gets into this sport who is over 16 (or parents buy it for them) has to get the biggest and fastest machine. The same thing happened with three wheelers people would go buy 250r's and tecate's who have never rode before and they were extremely fast and people couldn't handle them. I think people just need to learn how to ride before they get the type of machines that are coming out.

11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
When i broke my leg i was not on my quad and a dirtbike landed on me

But u heard "that kid on the fourwheeler broke his leg"

ppl dont mention that the quad had nothing to do with it.. just the dirtbikes n GOD DAMN DIRTBIKERS!

Quad18star
11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
I started out on a 1985 200s three wheeler. They didn't feel stable so why was there so many accidents on them which led to them being banned, it's simple. Everybody that gets into this sport who is over 16 (or parents buy it for them) has to get the biggest and fastest machine. The same thing happened with three wheelers people would go buy 250r's and tecate's who have never rode before and they were extremely fast and people couldn't handle them. I think people just need to learn how to ride before they get the type of machines that are coming out.

That's very true also . Look at the size of some of these quads now ... 750cc , 800cc . The manufacturers have to draw the line somewhere . Does an 800cc perform better than a 400cc utility quad in the woods?? Personally I don't think so but the manufacturers seem to believe they do . I don't think the manufacturers will stop until the Insurance companies say enough is enough or until too many cases of 11 year olds out on a 750 Brute Force kill themselves.

11-02-2005, 02:13 PM
honda and yamaha are giving out free riding lessons and safety courses though for wheoever buy one of there ATV's. I actually think they pay you to attend.

Quad18star
11-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
honda and yamaha are giving out free riding lessons and safety courses though for wheoever buy one of there ATV's. I actually think they pay you to attend.

Really ???

It must be in the very fine print at the bottom of some page they got me to sign or the salesman said it under his breath when I bought my quad . I don't need to learn the "safe use" of an ATV , but if they would pay for it ... hell I'd be all over that !!!!:D

theTman
11-02-2005, 02:39 PM
according to ozzy....they weigh 500 lbs and can go over 100 mph

11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
all manufacturers, with the exception of polaris, offer to pay for the atv institutes course...i took it with my wife when she bought me the new 300ex waaaaaaayyyyyy back in 1997, and she got a free $50 gift certificate out of it. i got to take the course for freee also and it was a waste of time...i will take it again if honda is offereing anything when i buy the r in the spring...

look at the bottom middle of the page (http://powersports.honda.com/the_ride/rider_education/?Resource=Honda+Rider+Training)

watts16
11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike

so does polaris me and my dad took the couse.
it was a waste of time but i got a $100 check from honda and my dad got 100 polaris bucks or something.

11-02-2005, 02:51 PM
i will say that polaris must have just started in the last few weeks or months...good for them...

i think anyone buying a new or used atv should have totake this course unless they have proof that they have already taken it....only to cut down on some of the b.s. accidents and to hold the parent more responsible when little 8 yr old johnny wrecks his 700 raptor, or the huge polaris sportsman 800 his unkowing parent bought him

watts16
11-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i will say that polaris must have just started in the last few weeks or months...good for them...

i think anyone buying a new or used atv should have totake this course unless they have proof that they have already taken it....only to cut down on some of the b.s. accidents and to hold the parent more responsible when little 8 yr old johnny wrecks his 700 raptor, or the huge polaris sportsman 800 his unkowing parent bought him

ya the dealer we bought the quad from said they were seeing how much interest they got in the coarse

muddy400EX
11-02-2005, 06:14 PM
the thing about quads is that they bring people who would never ride and dont know what there doing into the sport of offroading, because of how easy they are to ride. then they think they know what there doing, and wreck and kill themselves. theres just WAY to many people who dont know how to ride. you dont have as many idiots who dont have a clue what there doing on a dirtbike because it takes longer to get used to and alot of people just say screw it because of how wierd it feels. it sure would be great tho if the media would stop talking so much crap about the quads

DVXchic
11-02-2005, 06:35 PM
On the news the other night there were two girls killed while out on a honda 4x4. The 3rd is in the hospital. Heres my Question, What kind of parents let 3 teenage girls get on 1 quad to go riding. And then they said they are going to change the law stating no one under 16 is allowed to ride a quad. And that will do what? There is still alot of stupid parents who don't care what their kids are doing.
My dad spent an entire day showing me how to ride my First blaster back when i was 14, Now 14 years later I have only wiped out bad twice, 1nce was the bikes fault (balljoint) and second was mine. I thank my dad for showing me and hope someday the stupid parents smarten up and do the same.

wilkin250r
11-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by DVXchic
On the news the other night there were two girls killed while out on a honda 4x4. The 3rd is in the hospital. Heres my Question, What kind of parents let 3 teenage girls get on 1 quad to go riding.

Exactly right.

No parent in the world would give their 13yr old kid the keys to the car to go joyriding. They certainly wouldn't do it if it was a truck, and allow 2 kids to ride in the back, no seatbelts.

But they allow them to do it with quads, without helmets. What's the difference?

Me, personally, I would like to see a new direction on the dangers of ATVs. Put responsibility on the parents.

How's this for an ad campaign slogan. "You wouldn't allow your kid to drive without seatbelts, why do you let them ride without helmets?"

Quad18star
11-03-2005, 11:30 AM
On the news the other night there were two girls killed while out on a honda 4x4. The 3rd is in the hospital. Heres my Question, What kind of parents let 3 teenage girls get on 1 quad to go riding. And then they said they are going to change the law stating no one under 16 is allowed to ride a quad. And that will do what? There is still alot of stupid parents who don't care what their kids are doing.
My dad spent an entire day showing me how to ride my First blaster back when i was 14, Now 14 years later I have only wiped out bad twice, 1nce was the bikes fault (balljoint) and second was mine. I thank my dad for showing me and hope someday the stupid parents smarten up and do the same.

Ya I seen that on the news a few days ago . An older man said he heard the ATV comming down the road at a high rate of speed , he then said it made a funny sound and then a crash . He walked over to see what it was and the 3 girls were wrapped around the tree . For two of the girls , the helmets fell off their heads .

I agree with you ... what kind of idiot parent allows 3 kids to jump on 1 ATV ?? Well this parent is going to have the guilt of 2 dead teen girls on their mind . Their daughter survived , it was the two passengers that were killed .

trx400exxracer
11-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
True, they are, but even the manufactureres make that CRYSTAL clear, all you have to do is read the warning labels on the fenders to get a general idea that it can be dangerous.

Do you think they are more dangerous than, say a MX motorcycle? I have no experience on motorcycles, but seems like they are close to being in the same category as an ATV. What do you think?

Mx may be dangerous but think about the dirtbike riders in hare scrambles goinas fast as you can through the tight woods(way tighter than GNCC) to win

the dirt bikes just have no armor around you neither

most people getting hurt on quads
are not wearing safety gear and so on

trx400exxracer
11-03-2005, 01:44 PM

was it actually the bikes fault it had a bad ball joint or did you fail to check over it????

DaleJrFan
11-03-2005, 03:43 PM
hopefully someone from the media one day in the future will purchase a quad or actully ride one before doing a story about how dangerous they are. reporters report what they are told to and are limited to what the general perception of the public is.

400exstud
11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
How often are you asked by your friends at school if they can ride your quad?

The next thing I like to say is "can you drive a clutch?" Their response is "what is that :huh "

then I think to myself.....WOW kid like I am going to let drive my pride and joy when I know for a fact that you couldn't even bring it to a stop without killing it.

Their next response......."Well can I"

This lack of knowledge and lack or respect for proper knowledge is what gets many people into trouble with quads. Heck how had can it be, slam on the gas and go

Another problem is that most people, no matter what age they are, have to be the fastest and be the best show off even if they know they can't handle the task.

11-03-2005, 05:20 PM
the reason they get bad press is because some idiot decides to ride without a helmet all the time, wrecks, then wants to sue the company for the injuries he got for being a moron...thats exactly y, end of story, people without helmets is the reason y we get bad press

spud400ex
11-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
people without helmets is the reason y we get bad press

people without helmets isnt the only reason, i read in readers digest a while back and article on quads, yes it did bash them, but some of the people in the article were wearing helmets and got injured. the first page of the article had a kid riding without a helmet jumpin a small drop off which probly cuased more problems for the sport.

alot of the times kids wont wear helmets becuase their parents wont and are following by example, such as some people i ride with, one kid wore a helmet when he was younger but eventually his mom didnt make him and she never wore one either.

its gonna happen so just live with it.

11-03-2005, 06:54 PM
also people who ride double seem to get hurt often 2

450Redrider5
01-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by aviator4
it's like the old "gun's don't kill people... people kill people"

No, guns don't kill people...husbands that come home early do:devious:
HAHAHA

One_Bad_400
01-02-2006, 02:53 PM
you know what else gets us the bad rep... yesterday i was driving home from the bmx track.. and 3 red necks on there 4x4's came flying across the road and i thought they were aobut to hit me... they were driving about 50mph down a buissy road WITH NO HALMIT RIDDING 2 PEOPLE ON EACH ONE!!!!

01-02-2006, 05:31 PM
well i read that theirs more people get hurt on a pedal bike than on anything else that u ride.

and at races theirs always more dirt bikes crashing than quads.

deathman53
01-02-2006, 06:22 PM
I ride mainly trikes and I am so sick of saying basically the same thing that everyone is saying here, I seam to get it more, since I ride a "BANNED" machine. I simply tell them, "it the idiot on the machine that is the problem,not the machine" the problem with the trikes is the same issue as we have now, DRUCKEN, HIGH, INEXPIERENCED IDIOTS on too powerfull of machines for their experience and body wieght, this on top of 2 on bikes,no helmets, etc. This is the same issue we have now, expect there isn't a scapegoat as that three wheelers were. A study showed that accideents actaually went up as trikes were banned and they weren't on trikes, but quads. It is the same thing as someone else posted dirtbikes and trikes FEEL dangerous, quads were advertised and FEEL safer, but they actaully aren't. A recent study shows that quads are no safer than trikes, because users know immedaitly the skill needed to ride a trike as compared to a quad.
The most dangerous rider in my opinion is the father who gets a raptor 660/700, the kid get a raptor 80, neither have any idea how to ride the bike, nor have helmets and such. the kid learns from the father on how to ride unsafe, one of the two gets hurt and they sue. People like to blame the machine, when the user controls the machine. My opinion is first time atv riders should be required to take a safety course, before they are given the key to the machine.

01-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exstud
How often are you asked by your friends at school if they can ride your quad?

The next thing I like to say is "can you drive a clutch?" Their response is "what is that :huh "

then I think to myself.....WOW kid like I am going to let drive my pride and joy when I know for a fact that you couldn't even bring it to a stop without killing it.

Their next response......."Well can I"

This lack of knowledge and lack or respect for proper knowledge is what gets many people into trouble with quads. Heck how had can it be, slam on the gas and go

Another problem is that most people, no matter what age they are, have to be the fastest and be the best show off even if they know they can't handle the task.

I completely agree, my friend asked me if he could ride it, i asked were's the clutch, he pointed to the throttle, i asked whats the throttle, he pointed to the front brake

400exrules
01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by dvx400rider
I completely agree, my friend asked me if he could ride it, i asked were's the clutch, he pointed to the throttle, i asked whats the throttle, he pointed to the front brake

lmfao, yah some kid i talked to once thought the throttle was the footbrake too, i was like wtf:huh

WheelerBob
01-02-2006, 08:44 PM
It all comes down to personal responibility, when the stupid father of a 12 or 13 year old kid gets him a yfz 450 for his birthday and then lets him tear a** up and down the street with all of about 10 minutes of riding experience and the kid hits a parked car at 60 mph , or a tree or anything else for that matter with no helmet and cracks his or her head open it's automatically the quads fault, Yamaha shouldn't sell such a fast machine they say, and Mcdonalds shouldn't sell hot coffee either. Just another case of another stupid person not taking responsibility for their own stupidity. And the quad takes the fall:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

01-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Ya, I definetly am sick of all the bad rep quads get. It is so bad that my own father doesent want me to race because he thinks I will get killed. well it is a possibility I guess...

I think once a person can control a quad he is all set. I can remember when I fist got my 400ex, I was wrecking that thing every day, smashing into stuff. But as I became a better rider I crashed less and less and also got faster.

Some kid riecently got in a head on collision with a car on a back dirt road. I happen to travel this dirt road often to reach the trail. There is this corner that is imposible to see around, and yep kid goes flyin around it and dies. Kids fault. I'm not going to lie I was seeing how far around that corner I could drift just days before the accident. But as I become more experienced rider I seem to become lets say "throttle happy."

But I also think that a certain level of out of control is needed to become a good rider, if I just drove around in 1st gear on flat ground. shure I may never wreck or get hurt, but I would also never amount to much of a rider. There is a place for everything, it is when this place is abused that accidents happen.

Titanium
01-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
the reason they get bad press is because some idiot decides to ride without a helmet all the time, wrecks, then wants to sue the company for the injuries he got for being a moron...thats exactly y, end of story, people without helmets is the reason y we get bad press

ur rite. the only reason atv's get bad press here is because ppl put there 4,5,6 year olds on big 500cc 4x4 4 wheelers and let them rip around on them. and eventually every situation like that has the same end result either severe injury or death. this summer a guy that was ridin a quad killed himself on it cus he rear ended one of his friends on another quad and rammed his head into the grab bar on the other guys 4 wheeler causing him to die. and guess wat! he wasn't wearin a helmet! so that defenently supported my religion on wearin a helmet specially because i knew the guy personally.

2MuchChi450R
01-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Exactly right.

No parent in the world would give their 13yr old kid the keys to the car to go joyriding. They certainly wouldn't do it if it was a truck, and allow 2 kids to ride in the back, no seatbelts.

But they allow them to do it with quads, without helmets. What's the difference?

Me, personally, I would like to see a new direction on the dangers of ATVs. Put responsibility on the parents.

How's this for an ad campaign slogan. "You wouldn't allow your kid to drive without seatbelts, why do you let them ride without helmets?"

AMEN brother! :D

I shake my head whenever I go riding out at the local spot and see all the drunks on their atv's and kids riding without helmets, what kind of upbringing are these kids learning nowadays?! I see Johnny Badass on his Banshee, riding in a t-shirt, tennis shoes and shorts, no helmet, on the local man-made track, and I just shake my head. Or the other day, the idiot that goes racing by my house on the street when I'm working on my quad to try to impress me, once again, with no helmet. It's idiots like this that ruin the sport for those that are riding responsibly and obeying the law.