PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Went?

bubbag
11-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Hey,
Went out riding today because we got our first big dump of snow :devil: and I was riding about 10 mins and the head gasket went and coolant was leaking all down the cylinder? So I did a compression test and came up with a 150lbs (sounds about right with what it was at the start of summer).
So Should I mill the head now? How much do I take off? and what should I get for a new head gasket I wouldn't mind bumping up the compression? I run 100 octane low lead with amsoil dominator at 50:1

Right now it has a wiseco pro-lite in her And I'm wondering if I should throw some new rings on her, it has a summer of riding on it (at least 20 hrs).

It is a unported 88 motor with all the bolt ons.

Thanks Guys...

bubbag
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Somebody????!?

Tom TRX250R
11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
150lbs. is really low, I bet the cylinder is scored. I would recommend pulling the top end off and having it bored, then put a new piston in. When you do this you can send your head in to have it shaved for higher compression. Once you do this though do an accurate compression test and judge from there what octane race gas you need to use.

zedicus00
11-02-2005, 12:30 PM
sounds like you could use a topend job, and dont mill the head just split the trx head gasket and use one of the thin pieces.

250r4life
11-02-2005, 02:39 PM
my brother actually just had the same thing happen. i wasnt there with him, but he siad he was riding his banshee and after about 10 minutes at the duens his coolant starting spraying everywhere but he couldnt tell where it was coming from, i think it was at night. so he said when he let it cool he started it back up and only one of the cylinders was firing. i said it sounded like a top end gasket... did he probably blow a piston and will need a new top end, or is there any better (more positive) possibility, like maybe there he just needs s new head gasket?? any ideas?

beerock
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
your compression could be down because the coolant is taking the oil off the cylinder wall and thus lwoering your compression.

if your running 100 octance my advice would be to buy a stock trx headgasket and split up the gasket. You will have 2 very thin gaskets and one medium inner piece which can be used as a gasket as well.

When you do put a new gasket on FROM NOW ON USE PERMATEX COPPER SPRAY. this will give the gasket a better seal.

machwon
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Snow? What elevation are you riding at? This could be the reason for the low compression, but still a good idea to check the topend with the gasket issue. I'd stay away from the copper spray.

beerock
11-02-2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by machwon
I'd stay away from the copper spray.

I'd like to know why?

machwon
11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
I used to use the stuff and I just don't prefer to use it any more. Its make parts messy, I even found the excess under my radiator cap. If the cylinder and head are not warped, gaskets will work just fine.

beerock
11-02-2005, 08:27 PM
the ONLY gasket i use the copper spray on is the head gasket. your suppose to hang the head gasket and spray it with the copper spray, let it dry until tacky and then install it, once its tacky it is not messy. the spray is especially good for the thinner gaskets, it reduces the risk of gasket blow out.

machwon
11-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I know how to use it. Any true head and cylinder should never need that stuff, so why use it?

beerock
11-03-2005, 07:51 AM
From what i know even a true cyl and head with high compression can possibly blow out the gasket. the copper spray helps. its insurance. if you dont use it thats great. I have a buddy that was pushing 245 PSI and kept blowing out the cr250 gasket, he used the coper spray and his problems were gone.

JTRtrx250r
11-03-2005, 07:57 AM
I used to use the copper spray and it is messy.... but for guys splitting the stock gasket, Its almost nessessary and is like insurance

Its actually been awhile since I used it personally, but I also dont split gaskets anymore, I just have the head milled etc