PDA

View Full Version : Stiff thumb throttle, how to fix it?

cjkranz
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
My wife's YFZ has a very stiff thumb throttle, which has been an issue on others I was told. Is there a good fix? I have seen the springs for approx $20 and the Cascade thumb throttle. Its longer and is reportedly easier to push. Anyone had this issue or resolved it? thanks, jk

sled_ed 300ex
11-02-2005, 10:15 AM
take it off and lube it and get all the dirt out of the housing and you can change it if its wornout ,you should also set the tension on the cable so it run well!!

cjkranz
11-02-2005, 10:38 AM
Already done that. The throttle has been this stiff since the day we bought it. The couple we ride with also has a '05 YFZ and hers is the same way.

infantry317
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
They sell a return spring for the carb on ebay for $20. See yfzcentral for install pics

300exOH
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Here's a thread on putting a honda thumb throttle on the yfz

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176694&highlight=stiff+thumb+throttle

parkers30
11-02-2005, 11:21 AM
I did the spring relocation mod and the Honda throttle and it works great, the $20 spring would probably help even more

VIGILANTE MAN
11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
I really didn't have a problem with my YFZ's thumb throttle until the first race with it. My thumb was killing me after a few laps.

Before the next race, I had the Baldwin carb mod done. Although it helped, my thumb would still get sore.

The next step was installing the Cascade extended lever. It really didn't do much for me and the extra length of it tended to get in the way.

After that failed attempt, I tried the James Lucky adjustable thumb throttle. This should've been the first thing I did. I have had no thumb issues since installling it. It sets nice and close to the bars so you don't have to extend your thumb very far and the lever position on the shaft is adjustable. I only have two complaints. It fits a little looser in the housing than either the stock or Cascade lever and it's close enough to the bars that it will come in contact with your fingers if not oriented right. But, overall I'm very pleased.

My gut feel is that even without the carb spring mod, it would still be comfortable.

Everyone has a different solution and some don't think there's a problem to begin with, but that's what worked for me.

Unverfehrt400ex
11-28-2005, 09:50 PM
all my friends with yfz's have went and put a 400ex throttle on it. its worked out really nice

red33quad
12-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Remove the return spring in the thumb throttle and send your carb to Baldwin. 35.00 and he does your spring for you. Mine is as easy as my straight pull on my 250r. All my friends has done it and no-one has had any complaints. Good luck !!

jshtex
12-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by parkers30
I did the spring relocation mod and the Honda throttle and it works great,

Ditto...

My son went from an ex to the yfz and man did he whine about running a two hour XC race. He would finish the race using the palm of his hand to push the throttle.

After the above mods, I haven't heard a word.

dawn
12-10-2005, 05:33 AM
alot of people I know use a 400ex thumb throttle, that is what i am going to change mine to. I took the spring out of mine, and its still stiff.

jshtex
12-10-2005, 08:02 AM
Taking the spring out of the thumb throttle won't change very much. The spring mod we did was to change where the throttle return spring in the carb attaches. Basically just took a little tension off it. Actually I think that does more than the ex throttle. We did the ex throttle too, but really that just puts the thumb lever at a better angle to the bars.

One thing to consider when installing a honda throttle on a yfz is you have to disable the TORS system. TORS is designed to sence when you have a stuck throttle by comparing a switch on the carb to a switch on the thumb throttle. Disabling it is a simple matter of connecting the wires together that go to the switch on the thumb throttle.

yfz450rida
01-30-2006, 12:35 AM
i have an 05yfz i bought the lighter carb spring for mine it pretty easy to install and i never have a problem with mine thumb crampin up while racing. couple friends of mine have to 400ex throttle on thier and they fell pretty close to the same. the only difference i notice was to pull in the two different levers but u can exspect that for two different manufacters. but they were both really easy to push.

m1ke
02-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Switch to twist throttle?

smokeum99ta
02-08-2006, 05:19 PM
I got the lighter spring of e-bay. Then bought a used 400ex throttle of e-bay. Since the cover said "honda" on it and I can't have that I bought a billet throttle cover. Also with that throttle I purchased a trx 90 thumb lever, it's a little longer (1/2") . Now I ride with no more sore thumb........

blingyfz
02-12-2006, 06:44 PM
I ran the stock thumb throttle all last year and didn't think it was a big deal , but then my buddy at boz's racing put in a different spring and it is so easy, u won't believe the difference. call them at 1-219-545-4856 and ask for Kim.

korniev
02-14-2006, 03:21 AM
You seem to be the only smart person here! Moreover if you jump with stock throttle, you can brake your wrist very easily!!!

woodsrider4ever
11-04-2006, 08:07 PM
make the preload lighter by cutin a slit in the second tab it really works

infantry317
11-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by korniev
You seem to be the only smart person here! Moreover if you jump with stock throttle, you can brake your wrist very easily!!!

:confused: What are you talking about? Breaking your wrist if you use a thumb throttle? :ermm:

f1502nv
11-05-2006, 07:19 PM
You seem to be the only smart person here! Moreover if you jump with stock throttle, you can brake your wrist very easily!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: