PDA

View Full Version : can't get 400ex started

Terry024
11-02-2005, 06:48 AM
02 400ex, my son was running along and engine just quit, check I thing everything, Now I can crank it and its either not getting fuel or fire not sure, changed plug, check to see if getting fire and I am, check ignition, cylinoid, all connections and cleaned, pulled electrical parts off another 400ex and still won't start pored gas into carb, still no fire, I',m at a lose. Help

B-rad D
11-02-2005, 07:59 AM
how many hours are on it? Is there any compression?

Terry024
11-02-2005, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by B-rad D
how many hours are on it? Is there any compression?
Not sure, new motor bored out, pulled head off to check piston and ring, both look fine, I will check compression today to see, when we pulled the air filter off didn't feel very strong.

QuadJunkies
11-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Have you checked the Vavles? Who done the porting if you dont mind me asking?

Terry024
11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Have you checked the Vavles? Who done the porting if you dont mind me asking?

I think the honda dealer hear did, I will have to check and also I'm gonna check compression today
thanks

400exMO
11-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Pull it behind another quad and drop it in second and see if it'll go!

benbuilt4u
11-02-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Terry024
02 400ex, my son was running along and engine just quit, check I thing everything, Now I can crank it and its either not getting fuel or fire not sure, changed plug, check to see if getting fire and I am, check ignition, cylinoid, all connections and cleaned, pulled electrical parts off another 400ex and still won't start pored gas into carb, still no fire, I',m at a lose. Help

theres two fast ways to narrow down the problem assuming you can still crank it over.

1. take the plug out ground it to the cylinder head

if you see spark fine reinstall the plug. go to step 2

if no spark then you have a wiring issue or bad cdi, coil, ect.

2. take starting fluid remove the air filter and spray a small amount in the air boot. now crank if it tries to fire or runs then its a carburator problem.

If it still does not start and you have spark and you have fuel/starting fluid. it will be a internal engine problem such as a timing chain that skipped or bent valves.

:D

ommkevin
11-03-2005, 03:37 PM
did u check the comp yet

JDiablo
11-03-2005, 03:44 PM
lol have you tried the easiest thing yet?

Charging the battery?:eek2:

FoxMxRiders
11-03-2005, 05:07 PM
maybe your fuse??

mine did that few days ago

6arett
11-03-2005, 08:50 PM
I was at the desert and my bike wouldent fire, I tryed everything to try fixin it, and the tank had gas in it but not enough i guess. It was on the ON position then my buddy came over and fliped it to Reserve and it fired right up lol.

So try changing the flue switch to Reserve.

hondajoe05
11-03-2005, 09:32 PM
mine wouldn't start a while back ago either cuz of the fuse i was going crazy.... so i would suggest checking your fuse like foxmxriders posted

04TRX400EX
11-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Yeah the fuse went out a couple of times on mine too, however this issue doesn't sound like a fuse because if a main fuse goes out you won't get anything. Terry024 said that he is getting it to crank, meaning he has power. I would check the battery and the electric starter mechanism on the bars. Check all of the connections at the starter and follow the lines down to where they join others wires to make sure nothing is cut or crimped. You might just have a short somewhere.

Terry024
11-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by ommkevin
did u check the comp yet

Gonna check it this weekend

Terry024
11-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
lol have you tried the easiest thing yet?

Charging the battery?:eek2:
fully charged, 1st thing i did

Terry024
11-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Yeah the fuse went out a couple of times on mine too, however this issue doesn't sound like a fuse because if a main fuse goes out you won't get anything. Terry024 said that he is getting it to crank, meaning he has power. I would check the battery and the electric starter mechanism on the bars. Check all of the connections at the starter and follow the lines down to where they join others wires to make sure nothing is cut or crimped. You might just have a short somewhere.
I'm gonna check everything again this week end, I'll start at the battery and go all the way through it again.

Terry024
11-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Terry024
I'm gonna check everything again this week end, I'll start at the battery and go all the way through it again.
thanks, I know its something simple just a matter of finding it, pain in the ace.

Terry024
11-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by ommkevin
did u check the comp yet
yep, its good

416exduner
11-14-2005, 11:28 AM
are you getting fire on the spark plug?...if not that plug boot could be coroded inside, happened to me and took forever to find out why my wasn't starting. simple $5 fix though if that's it.

Terry024
11-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by 416exduner
are you getting fire on the spark plug?...if not that plug boot could be coroded inside, happened to me and took forever to find out why my wasn't starting. simple $5 fix though if that's it.
didn't check that thanks

T

Warrioreater400ex
11-14-2005, 12:36 PM
have you checked the engine kill switch and its connections? (if you still have it)

ccd
11-14-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
have you checked the engine kill switch and its connections? (if you still have it)

That's hilarious! It reminded me of about a month ago when I got bounced off a trail and the engine died. I sat there cranking it for like 2 minutes thinking it flooded or whatever. I looked down and my hand had bumped the kill switch to off. What a dufuss! I never use that stupid thing and was tempted to pin it in place after that!. Now that it happened, I'm sure it will be the first thing I look at.:p

Terry024
11-15-2005, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Warrioreater400ex
have you checked the engine kill switch and its connections? (if you still have it) We have focused on that and the ignition switch, I have to get manual so we can check to see what is suppost to be hot when its suppost to be hot.

QuadJunkies
11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
I just had this happen this wk end... Mine I thought may be the timing jumped for some odd reason and it turned out that my Carb boot was loose and was sucking in air causing it to not start. It was very minor leak ,but it would turn over for a fraction of a second a few times then immediatly shut off. then ....nothing.

Im just glad it was a cheap fix! Check your Carb AGAIN, maybe you have smame thing...