PDA

View Full Version : 300ex pipes

400exrider26
11-02-2005, 04:03 AM
My friend wants a pipe for his 300ex that gives u a power increase throughout the entire powerband but alot of it coming in on low-mid range...
He is looking at some good slip-ons or mabe even a cheap full... He doesant want to spend to much money so he is pretty much looking for the best bang for your buck... He looked at some of these pipes- FMF powercore 4 (slip-on or fullsystem), bills thunder series slip-on, Hmf slip-on, and a yoshi slip-on... between these pipes and some otheres u can recomend which pipe would be best for him? thanks

POW 352
11-02-2005, 05:21 AM
I love me White Brothers E series...he better get the full system though cause the stock header is like an elephant pissing through a straw...its adjustable for whatever he wants and not that it matters or really means anything but powroll suggests this exhaust on there racing 352 kit

11-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by POW 352
I love me White Brothers E series...he better get the full system though cause the stock header is like an elephant pissing through a straw...its adjustable for whatever he wants and not that it matters or really means anything but powroll suggests this exhaust on there racing 352 kit

i second all of that...

bwamos
11-02-2005, 08:15 AM
I agree with the above.

WB Header, and E-Series should be perfect for what you need.

Less disks for more bottom end.
Add disks when you want more top end.

At the same time be sure to add a K&N/Uni/TwinAir filter, and Rejet (rejetting the carb is a must).

redrunner
11-02-2005, 10:07 AM
HMF just announced a full system for the 300....

bwamos
11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by redrunner
HMF just announced a full system for the 300....

That's great.. but the HMF is a straight through high rev pipe, like the Curtis Sparks w/ turndown. The WB-E has difuser plates that are tunable for low end or high end, like the Curtis Sparks spark-arrestor pipe.

He's wanting bottom end, so he should be looking at the adjustable diffuser styles.

300exOH
11-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
That's great.. but the HMF is a straight through high rev pipe, like the Curtis Sparks w/ turndown. The WB-E has difuser plates that are tunable for low end or high end, like the Curtis Sparks spark-arrestor pipe.

He's wanting bottom end, so he should be looking at the adjustable diffuser styles.

I agree. I have the spark arrested sparks and I think if I had the full w/open endcap I would've lost too much low end power. I still lost a little(with all 12 disks) but the mid and upper gains make up for it. But I can tune it for more low end if needed.

redrunner- do you have a link for the release of the HMF full system for the 300? I checked HMF's site and couldn't find it.

redrunner
11-02-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.hmfengineering.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155

I would agree with the bottom end but with some motor mods it is your best bet. If not my 300 with the slip on was a torque monster, never stalling on anything I threw at it.

300exOH
11-02-2005, 12:05 PM

I would agree with the bottom end but with some motor mods it is your best bet. If not my 300 with the slip on was a torque monster, never stalling on anything I threw at it.

Thanks. I didn't even think to look for a forum. You did have the stock hedpipe though right? If so that's where the bottom end power came from. With a larger headpipe some of that seems to be lost. It isn't very noticeable though.

redrunner
11-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Yes stock head pipe.
As noted you need to do some motor work to take advantage of the new head pipe.

bwamos
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM

Thats because the stock header is a small diameter.. increasing the velocity/backpressure of the exhaust, wich increases your low end torque. Increasing the diameter of the header without creating backpressure in the silencer will cause you to loose some low end torque.

That being said. 300ex's are all torque. A "mid" rpm pipe wont hurt it at all. A high rpm pipe can put the peak power up past the rev limiter, which can screw you over unless you increase your rev limit.

Case and point.. Sand Dunes. A stock 300 has a hell of a time getting up a tall dune. However it can easly tow a broken down dunebuggy across the dunes. ;) I like an E-Series, FMF, Sparks Arrestor, etc.. with about 8 plates on it on a stock 300ex w/ filter.

I have a high rev turndown sparks.. but my rev limit is at 10,600 not 8,400 or whatever the stock rev limit was.

400exrider26
11-02-2005, 01:24 PM
i heard alot of people have problems with wb's e-series pipes breaking, especially at the welds Is this true?- he does alot of woods riding so this pipe has to be durable... any other opinions- something that wil increase low and mid and top- but alot of low and mid without sacrificing anything...

MICHIGAN 300EX
11-02-2005, 02:02 PM
The FMF megamax uses the difuser disks too. i have one on my 300 and so far im very happy with it, it comes as a full system with header and silencer, and the price is under $250.

300ex97
11-03-2005, 04:53 AM
i have a hindle on my bike an dit works great i wouldnt have anything elese plu slook at a pro curcuit t-4

kyleschonert
11-03-2005, 07:41 AM
since FST reccomends the e-series for their motor kit and i have their motor kit in the mail, should i get this pipe b/c of the difusser disks, or get the sparks with the disks. The e-series is cheaper and if its what they reccomend id much rather go with that.

300exOH
11-03-2005, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by kyleschonert
since FST reccomends the e-series for their motor kit and i have their motor kit in the mail, should i get this pipe b/c of the difusser disks, or get the sparks with the disks. The e-series is cheaper and if its what they reccomend id much rather go with that.

I have heard of the e series welds cracking at the mounts also. Not everyone has had this problem though. I haven't really heard anything negative about the sparks which is why I spent the extra money. Both pipes will perform well power wise but the quality of the sparks is just a bit better. If you decide on the e series just keep an eye on the welds.

bwamos
11-03-2005, 08:51 AM
I have heard of a few cases of the welds cracking...
But, the e-series does not go out past the grab bar. The only ways I can think of it getting hit hard enough would be to roll it down a hill and hitting a tree.. or riding a wheelie almost straight up and hitting a rock.

The cracked mount weld, almost has to be from abuse. I don't know anyone personally that has ever cracked the mount weld on an e-series.. I have only heard forum rumors.

You're going to be as safe with the e-series as any other pipe, IMHO.

Besides even if the mount does crack.. it's nothing that $15 and a local weld shop can't fix. ;)

400exrider26
11-03-2005, 04:31 PM
my friend is also look closly at the yoshi slip on and the hmf? any opinions on those?

bwamos
11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Yoshi is good.. a bit over priced.

HMF is also good. But only the Bill Balance version is adjustable, I beleive.

I still think the WB-E will be your best bet for what he's looking for.

You want a full system for the 300ex.

Blue250X
11-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by MICHIGAN 300EX
The FMF megamax uses the difuser disks too. i have one on my 300 and so far im very happy with it, it comes as a full system with header and silencer, and the price is under $250.

i have one too and everyone is always dissin it, how many disks do u use, what will give the most topend??

bwamos
11-04-2005, 03:12 PM
I had the old FMF Performax full system. I loved it too. I ran 7 disks for a good middle gorund. It wa a tough pipe. I beat the holy living hell out of that thing. Had to replace the cap and disks several times from rolling it down a large hill and smacking it with a tree.. lol. It also probably spent half of its life submerged underwater, or covered in mud. That pipe was worth every penny, without a doubt.

More disks = more top end.
Less disks = more bottom end.

I had to upgrade to the sparks for my 330 though, needed more flow.

Blue250X
11-04-2005, 05:03 PM
i dont see why people are always dissin the megamax. its a good pipe

ZeroLogic
11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
i dont see why people are always dissin the megamax. its a good pipe

You never owned a Cutis Sparks.:D ;)

2muchquad
11-12-2005, 10:41 PM
after owning 4 or 5 300ex's over the years i can say with confidence the Graydon exhaust is the best for the 300ex imo.if you look at the sparks and most of the other exhaust out there you will notice the silencer bodies are almost the same,they just use different mid pipes to fit different models.very few model specific R$D out there.make it nice and shiny or carbon fiber and it will sell.regardless of what the dnyo shows.:rolleyes: