PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel???

A A R O N
11-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Has anybody on here bought one of those systems from freedom fuel america....they showed it on trucks a while back....just wondering if it would be worth the time...i guess you can make fuel for like 70 cents a gallon and it's even a little better for your engine...

LTZ400rider
11-01-2005, 08:34 PM
i heard u can use kitchen grease some how

well i seen this in west virginia i think it was
soy biodiesel, i wonder if you need to change anything on your truck to run it? any1 know?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/LBCsublime9/biodiesel.jpg

Butters
11-01-2005, 08:38 PM
jeez where i live normal diesel is cheaper than that. i don't think you have to change anything though. i hear if you do it all yourself, it costs about 50 cents a gallon to make.

trx400exxracer
11-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I believe you use methanol or ethanol something like that which is 30 cent a gallon and you can get cooking grease from Mcdonalds or wherever

when your cruising down the road you'll exhaust will smell like french fries lol

zeppelin
11-01-2005, 08:42 PM
i dont know the exact differences between a bio and a reg. deseil, but i know that the bio has a much higher compression ratio and bigger magnetos and stators to make a hotter glow plug, the whole idea of it is to get cheaper fuel, but if it cost 309 then i dont think its worth it unless you reuse your own grease, or buy some off of your local mcdonalds for cheap or somthing

jesshamner
11-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Its only cheaper if you make it yourself. The set up cost is a little steep from what I remember but it would pay for itself in the long run. You can run it in a regular diesel engine with no modifcations and yes its better for your engine than regular diesel. You can use Canola, peanut, vegetable oils, and soy. Did I leave any out?

The bad part is that it takes a while to make. You would have to set aside a saturday to make a month's worth of fuel.

11-01-2005, 08:53 PM
i saw this sticker on the gas pump today here in Illinois

JDiablo
11-01-2005, 09:04 PM
^^ those were the good old days with gasoline

trx400exxracer
11-01-2005, 09:07 PM
It will also not hurt if you have deisel in your truck and you put biodiesel in there it will not hurt

troutman561
11-01-2005, 10:02 PM
i was wondering why diesel is 339 down here.. isnt it cheaper to produce than gasoline yet they are raping diesel engine owners and the trucking industry... damn oil companies

LTZ400rider
11-01-2005, 10:11 PM
diesel is in high demand i guess

if i can find out how to make diesel fuel id cruise around all day, shoot id buy a cornfield and sell my own fuel

pistonbone
11-02-2005, 12:16 AM
some of you need to check out biodiesel.org for some accurate information

A A R O N
11-02-2005, 04:58 AM
http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/

stupid thing is they dont tell you how much the system actually costs....

Derag2
11-02-2005, 05:58 AM
support the farmers buy soy......... neither will hurt BUT your bio diesel will get reallly thick in the winter, you'll have to have a heating system for your fuel, as well as a seperate tank for your bio........ most people use to seperate tanks... Soy diesel is made from soybeans, usually comes in 2%, 5% and 20% it is better than regular diesel, cleans and lubricates better than regular diesel....

quadmaster88
11-02-2005, 06:30 AM
i think the whole bio thing is to get people to start using it..... its expensive because no one is using it a lot and most companies are thinkin its useless to start making it.... so it will turn out to be what diesal used to be back in the 60s or whatever.........

jesshamner
11-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by quadmaster88
i think the whole bio thing is to get people to start using it..... its expensive because no one is using it a lot and most companies are thinkin its useless to start making it.... so it will turn out to be what diesal used to be back in the 60s or whatever.........

My thoughts on why companies don't use this other technology is this. Why? Why use it? Especially if its going to be cheaper than gasoline or diesel. They're making money on oil right now and probably won't switch until they absolutely have to. It just wouldn't make sense.

11-02-2005, 08:16 AM
I saw they explained it on an MTV commercial yesterday. I think they said to go to think.mtv.com for more info. The people went to the local mcdonalds and the owners gave them barrels of grease so they didn't have to pay to dipose of it. it seemed pretty simple to convert it over.

jesshamner
11-02-2005, 10:21 AM
Its not too hard to do. You just have to know a little basic chemistry.