PDA

View Full Version : Question on disassembly of decompressor...Help!

JhallettEX
06-19-2002, 08:31 PM
Ok guys I have finally began installing my new Hotcam, but i have a question about removing the decompressor from the camshaft, I can't get it to come off. The manual says to use a hydraulic press, which I don't have. How have you guys been getting them off. I called my dad to find out how he got if off last time but he can't remember. If you guys don't know what I am talking about it is on page 7-7 at the bottom in the manual. Thanks for any help.

VegasEx'r
06-19-2002, 09:46 PM
I'm looking at the stock ex cam right now, and guessing that the xr cam is identical. What about trying a steering wheel or flywheel (an automotive one) puller? It would need to be small, so a steering wheel puller might work. I think that places like Checker & Auto Zone loan them.

Just a thought...

JhallettEX
06-19-2002, 09:53 PM
Here are a few pics to help someone out, the bottom one is the Hotcam.

JhallettEX
06-19-2002, 09:55 PM
this end is what I am trying to get off.

06-19-2002, 10:37 PM
On your way to the auto store stop at any machine shop, equipment dealer, or where ever and get it pressed off. It only takes a couple seconds then press it onto the new cam. They'll probably do it for free.
BTW- stand there and see that they do it right and DO NOT drop any of the rollers or springs- you'll be buying a new decomp assy.
Good luck