PDA

View Full Version : Crap!?!?

blasterkiller14
11-01-2005, 05:50 PM
Okay my friend came over with a Raptor and we rode for like 6 hours in the woods and stuff. But anyways, in order to keep up with him I hade to ride the f*** outta my bike. Well a couple days later I changed the sprokets and stuff and did a tune up and took it for a test drive for 5 minutes then parked it. Another couple days after that I went to ride and when its running in neutral ill pull in the clutch and go to shift into reverse/1st grear and it'll take off. It seems that the clutch isnt working. The cable and everything is good so im thinkin I burned out the clutch plates. But its a Barnett Racing clutch and ive had it for 3 years so I dunno. Is that whats wrong. I have yet to tear my bike apart.

Also, there is oil leaking from around the rocker cover in the front and its dripping onto the freakin exhaust. Its prolly a bad gasket right?

Any comments are appreciated. Thanks

rYan01400EX
11-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Sounds to me like your clutch isn't engaging all the way. Adjust it all the way in and see what you got. As far as the valve cover leaking oil onto the exhaust, I'd say you are right. Put a new gasket on there or use some Hondabond. It's like a silicone gasket type stuff. Works pretty decent.

400exrider707
11-02-2005, 12:23 AM
The gasket used for the rocker cover is steel, so I doubt its bad, although its possible, its probably a stripped bolt in the rocker cover, I had the same problem.

bwamos
11-02-2005, 08:22 AM
Umm.. I'm assuming he's talking about the 250x, right?

If so the head cover uses high temp orange gasket material. The kind that comes in a tube. You can get it anywhere.

The metal gasket is for the Cylinder => Head connection.

If you're bike is engaging (taking off) when you shift gears with the clutch pulled in.. it's not worn plates.. it's a stretched out clutch cable. Adjust it, or you may need to replace. Probably a 15-20yr old stock cable, no?

FYI: The head cover bolts tighten back down at 7ft-lbs. Not 17, a typo in the service manual. 17 will twist the 6mm bolts in half. :eek2:

POW 352
11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
my 300 does the same thing but mostly when the engine is still cold like right out of the box i start it up let it warm up for a few shift down...with the clutch in of course and boom i run into something in my garage...its not always consistant but it always happens when somethings in the way...i replaced my cable and adjusted the crap out of it to try and fix the problem but im just living with it...if you really figure it out let me know

400exrider707
11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
Umm.. I'm assuming he's talking about the 250x, right?

If so the head cover uses high temp orange gasket material. The kind that comes in a tube. You can get it anywhere.

The metal gasket is for the Cylinder => Head connection.

If you're bike is engaging (taking off) when you shift gears with the clutch pulled in.. it's not worn plates.. it's a stretched out clutch cable. Adjust it, or you may need to replace. Probably a 15-20yr old stock cable, no?

FYI: The head cover bolts tighten back down at 7ft-lbs. Not 17, a typo in the service manual. 17 will twist the 6mm bolts in half. :eek2:

Well that might be but I know on my old 400 the gasket between the head and the rocker cover was metal!